Next 2.15 release...

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Gekko

Next 2.15 release...

#1 Post by Gekko »

Please do not release the next version as "final." At least release it as RC3 so we can finally have a bug-free version and remove that taint of betaness that each release seems to feel.

As all good releases, we should iron out major bugs before even going RC, such as drivers and plugins. Then we go for much minor bugs until it is ready for the initial release.

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

Yes, do it RC style. An RC is a Release Candidate. If it is found to be bug free, it becomes the final. If not, it's fixed and a new candidate is released.

You don't need to re-upload when an RC is promoted to Final either. You can get away with just renaming it and editing the md5sum to have the correct name inside (the sum itself stays the same). That conserves bandwidth, because it's one less upload, and anyone who already has that particular RC doesn't need to re-download it.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

next version RC3

#3 Post by Lobster »

:) I would also recommend the next version be RC3

We are ahead of time. The sfs are fantastic. The offline web page is being worked on by a second person (hooray) Pizzapup has a busy homework schedule etc

We made a great start. Let us finish in style. Hope you have the stamina Warren?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

Re: next version RC3

#4 Post by WhoDo »

Gekko wrote:Please do not release the next version as "final." At least release it as RC3 so we can finally have a bug-free version and remove that taint of betaness that each release seems to feel.

As all good releases, we should iron out major bugs before even going RC, such as drivers and plugins. Then we go for much minor bugs until it is ready for the initial release.
I thought I had ironed out major bugs, even before releasing RC. Who knew there would be a couple of missing symlinks that would bring down Xvesa, sound and gxine? Those should have been picked up in Alpha and Beta1 and weren't. They only surfaced in Beta2 after RC1 was uploaded and announced. Just goes to show that no matter how long your development cycle, stuff will surface when it surfaces and not before.
Pizzasgood wrote:Yes, do it RC style. An RC is a Release Candidate. If it is found to be bug free, it becomes the final. If not, it's fixed and a new candidate is released.
When I released RC1, I did so in good faith believing it to be ready. I could have released another Beta but there were no reports of major flaws. Then when RC1 hit the ground, the test pool must have jumped exponentially, as new serious flaws started to surface almost immediately. That's why RC2 was released almost immediately, as a bugfix to recover RC status. I can't coordinate and develop and bugfix and test. At least the testing part is way better off with the average user.
Lobster wrote:We are ahead of time. The sfs are fantastic. The offline web page is being worked on by a second person (hooray) Pizzapup has a busy homework schedule etc

We made a great start. Let us finish in style. Hope you have the stamina Warren?
I am looking to have Final announced for Easter - call it a chocolate free Easter egg! I will release it as RC3 this week, but if we haven't solved some of the so-called "bugs" by then, there is no point in delaying Barry's 2.16 any further.

Whatever happens with plug-in files shouldn't delay the underlying Standard Edition product. pgs_215.sfs has been updated and uploaded, with Kompozer removed as a duplication. Pizzasgood is working on web_215.sfs to resolve some Flash issues, probably related to the presence of Flash in Seamonkey by default. There is still no sign of anyone developing a mms_215.sfs for multimedia, so that has to remain in place. What is left to do for Standard Edition?

@ALL: I need a consolidated list of outstanding bugs that can be addressed. Everything I've found so far has been dealt with.

@Gekko, can you produce such a list here? I've been through Mantis and there doesn't seem to be much there left for me to resolve that could / should qualify as a bug in 2.15CE Standard Edition.

@Pizzasgood: Why am I the only user of 2.15CE who can't get fixmenus to update his Icewm menu? I feel like Moses viewing the Promised Land only to be told I'll never set foot there! *sheesh!*

@Lobster: I have addressed ALL of the major bugs listed in the wiki, and MOST of the feature requests have also been satisfied. Only your icon placement remains at issue. I will look at that ASAP.

When I umpired baseball our standard instruction was that every pitch was a strike until it proved otherwise. That served me well through 12 Regional Championship series and 2 Australian Championship series. When RC3 is released, as far as I'm concerned it IS Final, until it proves otherwise. As for stamina, you can't miss what you don't have! :P I'm just plain stubborn is all!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Gekko

#5 Post by Gekko »

WhoDo: I don't think there are anymore outstanding bugs. Also when I said in the first post about ironing out the bugs, I wasn't talking about CE, I was just generalising.

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#6 Post by Billwho? »

I'm still using the 215 office Alpha release so this may not be a problem any longer. But there doesn't seem to be any mention of it on the wiki page so thought I would mention it just in case.

I have added the k3b CD burner using MU's roll your own mkkde script. Now when I shutdown everything seems to work well until
"unmounting stray file systems"
at which point it freezes.
ctrl + alt +backspace gets things running again for a short while but then it stalls again and ctrl + alt + delete is needed to get things going.
Before I added k3b shutdown worked correctly but was slow to advance past "unmounting stray file systems"

Bug??? Or have I just stuffed-up somehow?
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

WhoDo

#7 Post by WhoDo »

Billwho? wrote:I have added the k3b CD burner using MU's roll your own mkkde script. Now when I shutdown everything seems to work well until
"unmounting stray file systems"
at which point it freezes.
ctrl + alt +backspace gets things running again for a short while but then it stalls again and ctrl + alt + delete is needed to get things going.
Before I added k3b shutdown worked correctly but was slow to advance past "unmounting stray file systems"

Bug??? Or have I just stuffed-up somehow?
Not really a bug, Billwho? Sounds to me like you've got a dirty swap partition or swap file. Reboot from CD with the pfix=ram option, use MUT to turn off swap, and then use cfdisk to reformat the swap partition. That should fix the problem unless the partition itself is corrupt. Then you can try deleting it and recreating it in a different location.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

Re: next version RC3

#8 Post by Lobster »

WhoDo wrote:
@Lobster: I have addressed ALL of the major bugs listed in the wiki, and MOST of the feature requests have also been satisfied. Only your icon placement remains at issue. I will look at that ASAP.
Joe D (PuppyfanD) is adding CSS to the web page. So please wait for his improvements. Also be aware that if a patch is added an improved offline web page is relatively easy to add.

:) I think Viz Final is something we can all be proud of. Yours is the most important contribution and you have proven equal to the task.

:) [/quote]
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

headfound

#9 Post by headfound »

is the page opening in dillo first? If so it ignores css! I would have had a go at remodelling the page but I assumed it would open in dillo as default.
Download a better Computer :)
[url=http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rDTLJYDHX3g]Puppy Linux Song[/url]
[url=http://www.letterbyletter.co.uk]www.letterbyletter.co.uk[/url]

WhoDo

#10 Post by WhoDo »

headfound wrote:is the page opening in dillo first? If so it ignores css! I would have had a go at remodelling the page but I assumed it would open in dillo as default.
Nope. The page is set as the default for Seamonkey, and only opens on a first attempt to access the web. Barry's test page still pops up on install from Dillo, but only once.

Pizzasgood

#11 Post by Pizzasgood »

Maybe old Moses needs a new set of spectacles? (j/k 8) ) It could be that you have a corrupted setup? Try a clean save-file. Be sure to restart IceWM after running fixmenus. If it doesn't work, check /usr/share/applications/ to make sure the .desktop files are there.

I'm going to play with flash some more tonight. If I can't get it, I'll just upload the current web_215.sfs file I've got, which includes Kompozer. If I solve it later, I can just re-upload it then.

Also, I didn't mean the RC versions should have been beta, just that you shouldn't assume you fixed everything correctly and release it as a Final, unless only minor things have been changed.

And yes, you're right about not being able to kill all the bugs. Eventually, you have to just trade the Raid for Off and move on.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]

puppyfan12

Am I doing something wrong loading the sfs files?

#12 Post by puppyfan12 »

I've been having issues getting the sfs files loaded which is why I haven't made that webpage use CSS yet. I've also been updating the wiki and added links to homepages of the included apps along with a list of included apps and descriptions on the updated Release Details Page.

I just now figured out my problem was the md5sum's of the .sfs files on my cd don't match up with what they should be so I'll need to reburn it and maybe redownload them (this time using wget). The only one that was correct was the web_215.sfs (the one with the apps I haven't tried using yet).
File: L:\OOO_215.SFS
Size: 9071821 bytes
Modified: March 26, 2007, 11:05:25 AM
MD5: CD5B1B2C772B2C64DEE5064106E2B11A
SHA1: 2414B3A9D55C789A168198466B0CB977E8FA6620
CRC32: 9AE3D07C

File: L:\PGS_215.SFS
Size: 57171968 bytes
Modified: March 26, 2007, 11:16:19 AM
MD5: 81458B4A3DC64898708E0AFD1B172302
SHA1: CC846551423EF89FC3E613DABE567B184326507A
CRC32: E85A78F6

File: L:\WEB_215.SFS
Size: 74133504 bytes
Modified: March 26, 2007, 11:20:18 AM
MD5: 7AAE06012DF09176D73DA75FB2F8D28F
SHA1: 0B791FC161DD7804A3C14727985F72BFFBB19BC8
CRC32: 7C54D0C2
On second thought, I have been trying to use Kompozer which is in the WEB_215.SFS file. Please clarify, is all I have to do is place web_215.sfs inside the root of the .iso file and ensure the crc matches, then all the apps will load? I did run fixmenus but I don't see Kompozer in the menus and can't launch it from the CLI or find it with pfind. I do see Seamonkey Composer though which will work fine for css (so would geany or leafpad).

Also I'm not sure what the contents are of the following squash files so if someone can let me know I can update the Release details page.

devx_215.sfs contents
list of apps required

fltkc + +_215.sfs contents
list of apps required

OOo_215.sfs contents
list of apps required.
Joe D.

Pizzasgood

#13 Post by Pizzasgood »

I haven't uploaded the web_215.sfs that includes Kompozer yet, because I was trying to get Flash working correctly. The one you have has NVU instead. Very similar.

I'm going to upload the updated version tonight. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:

WhoDo

#14 Post by WhoDo »

Pizzasgood wrote:Maybe old Moses needs a new set of spectacles? (j/k 8) ) It could be that you have a corrupted setup? Try a clean save-file. Be sure to restart IceWM after running fixmenus. If it doesn't work, check /usr/share/applications/ to make sure the .desktop files are there.
Yep. Finally got sick of it an reinstalled 2.15CE RC3 to the partition. Voila! Menus that update as they are supposed to do! *Whew*
Pizzasgood wrote: I'm going to play with flash some more tonight. If I can't get it, I'll just upload the current web_215.sfs file I've got, which includes Kompozer. If I solve it later, I can just re-upload it then.
Yep. That's ok by me. I expect that sfs files will be an ongoing project not restricted to 2.15CE anyway. The Community Edition will just be the first to rely on them for specific application sets.
Pizzasgood wrote:Also, I didn't mean the RC versions should have been beta, just that you shouldn't assume you fixed everything correctly and release it as a Final, unless only minor things have been changed.
No, I'll release as RC3 and hope I don't have to release RC4! I'm really, REALLY tired of the whole process at the moment - no problem with the people or anything, just that it takes so much effort to try and cover all the bases. I'll get across the line alright, but I feel like one of those marathon runners staggering to the finish on pure instinct! :D
Pizzasgood wrote: And yes, you're right about not being able to kill all the bugs. Eventually, you have to just trade the Raid for Off and move on.
I'm running RC3 myself and even though I've been with it from Day 1, it is still surprising and delighting me with what it can do and how it does it! 8) It has been the one thing I truly hoped for - a COMMUNITY EFFORT, and I'm really glad for that. All the same, moving on is gonna seem like a Barrier Reef holiday! :P

puppyfan12

#15 Post by puppyfan12 »

Pizzasgood wrote:I haven't uploaded the web_215.sfs that includes Kompozer yet, because I was trying to get Flash working correctly. The one you have has NVU instead. Very similar.

I'm going to upload the updated version tonight. Sorry for the confusion. :oops:
Thanks for the clarification...it makes no difference to me which one is used. I just saw someone post that komposer was included so that's what I added to the wiki and what I was trying to launch & find. :) Actually seamonkey composer appears to be similar as well, I believe the lead developer of the NVU project was also the lead developer of the seamonkey composer at one time when it was called the mozilla suite.
Joe D.

Pizzasgood

#16 Post by Pizzasgood »

I've got the latest web_215.sfs file uploading as I type. I still haven't figured out why 2.15CE doesn't like Flash. Other Puppies will work fine with it though. I also fixed the large icons problem it had (only in JWM). They're all the correct size now.
No, I'll release as RC3 and hope I don't have to release RC4! I'm really, REALLY tired of the whole process at the moment - no problem with the people or anything, just that it takes so much effort to try and cover all the bases. I'll get across the line alright, but I feel like one of those marathon runners staggering to the finish on pure instinct!
I know what you mean. That's how I feel when I'm in the RC stage of Pizzapup. It helps when you look back on everything you've learned and done. :)

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#17 Post by Billwho? »

I chose shutdown and left the machine to its own devices last night, came back in one hour and it had shut down on its own. Since then it seems to be shutting down properly so maybe there was a heap of junk in swap that it was trying to clear out. Anyway thanks for the heads-up Whoodo
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

Gekko

#18 Post by Gekko »

WhoDo, incase you didn't know, you have dev status on the bug tracker so you can change the issue statuses to closed, etc. and assign bugs to yourself and others.

WhoDo

#19 Post by WhoDo »

Gekko wrote:WhoDo, incase you didn't know, you have dev status on the bug tracker so you can change the issue statuses to closed, etc. and assign bugs to yourself and others.
Thanks, Gekko. I didn't know that ... until now.

Cheers