HooRah, Success HP Deskjet D1320

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Fiberflinger

HooRah, Success HP Deskjet D1320

#1 Post by Fiberflinger »

Did anyont happen to mention that the htplip-1.7.2 and the ppd needed to be placed in Root? not in usr/share/applications.

Anyway got it. I am eggs-austed.

Thanks everyone for your time. Sorry I am such a slow learner. I am retarded you know, I mean retired.

Fiberflinger :D

MikeLockmoore

#2 Post by MikeLockmoore »

I've been trying to build and install the HPLIP driver for my new HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-One. It seems HP wants me to have around 600 MB of stuff just to print and be able to pop up a GUI to do a few maintenance tasks. I've downloaded the dependency source packages, built, and installed a lot of them, but two things are still tripping me up:

1) There is a dependency on the "Linux Standard Base - Support" (package name "lsb" in some of the major-distro repositories). I have not found a "source" package for this. Maybe I should not be surprised. LSB support is likely to be achieved by certain files and directories being where they are specified with certain names, so the LSB support might need to be done with a bunch of symlinks and copies of things. Wonder if there is a script that would LSB-ize puppy enough for the HP stuff to work?

2) PyQt 3.(something) won't get through its configure.py script, even through I have compiled and installed Qt 3.3.(something). I might not need this if I forgo the GUI tools for printer, but I'd like to get this working at some point.

It seems the "custom/manual installation" instructions put together for HPLIP still assumes you will be using a lot of prepared packages, such as used by package-management tools like yum or apt-get. I've not done much with these tools in other Linuxes, and I don't know how feasible it is to install software in Puppy directly from the package files like this. Any suggestions?

Anyone else slogged through this process to get HPLIP built and working? I probably have more problems than what is listed above, but those two should help get me further along. Thanks for any good ideas or guidelines you might have.
Mike Lockmoore

Fiberflinger

#3 Post by Fiberflinger »

Don't know. I placed hplip-1.7.3 in root, along with deskjet D1300-hpitjs.ppd installed cups and went through the dance about 3 times before cups recognized the ppd was there. I verrified that the printer was where it was supposed to be the menu list. Other than that Hopefully some here will help you.

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

Some info Here on HPLIP
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#5 Post by Billwho? »

MikeLockmoore wrote: 2) PyQt 3.(something) won't get through its configure.py script, even through I have compiled and installed Qt 3.3.(something). I might not need this if I forgo the GUI tools for printer, but I'd like to get this working at some point.
Its been quite a while now but from memory i was having the same problem compiling PyQt4.0.1 which is what my version of HPLIP requires. It seems that the python packages I downloaded from the Grafpup site was missing some components ( may have been fixed now from what I saw on another post the other night). After I compiled my own version of python 2.4.3 the only source file I am still having trouble with is HPLIP itself. although I still cant access the GUI tools even with a Slackware HPLIP package installed.

Hope this helps
Bill
Linux = Learning through doing :shock: :? :D
The learning curve may be steep but there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
You just have to pass the occasional oncoming train to get there.

MikeLockmoore

#6 Post by MikeLockmoore »

Trapster: Thanks for pointing that out. I had skimmed through that post before, so I have some hope I can get at least the command-line printing to work. I'd be very nice to get the Puppy printing from inside apps like Abiword and Seamonkey, too.
After I compiled my own version of python 2.4.3 the only source file I am still having trouble with is HPLIP itself. although I still cant access the GUI tools even with a Slackware HPLIP package installed.
Billwho? Thanks for replying. I was able to build the 2.5 version of Python no problem, but maybe that causes a conflict with the 3.x (3.3? I'm not on my Puppy system at the moment) version of PyQt? Qt version 3.3 itself built OK. I had first tried the current version of Qt (4.1?) but after it burned up all of my personal file (>700M) in the make process, I wiped it out and went back to the last release of the 3 series. I wonder how much space Qt 4 needs to build? I know that a bunch of that space can be reclaimed later by removing the .o files and such, but a GUI toolkit that big seems to go against the spirit of Barry's OS.

Billwho?, another thing: how did you install Slackware packages?
Mike Lockmoore

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#7 Post by Billwho? »

Hi Mike
Once you get HPLIP working printing from within the apps mentioned does work.

To avoid burning through all my save file while compiling I do it in a virtual partition of just under 2Gb.

I created this by first creating an new pup_save file and resizing it to 2Gb or as close as I could get it. Then renamed it to puppy_data.. Once I had it made and renamed I booted up my usual pup_save file opened a terminal and mounted puppy_data.

Code: Select all

mount -o loop /mnt/home/puppy_data /mnt/data
Changed directory to the root of puppy_data. Double, triple and quadruple checked I was in the correct directory and entered the second most deadly command I know.

rm -rf ./
Warning to all newbies reading this
Make sure that you have typed dot / this will delete everything in puppy_data. If you forget the dot you will lose your entire file system including any mounted partitions. (the most deadly command I know)
A safer command would be

rm -rf /mnt/data/
I have added the mount command above to /etc/rc.d/rc.local and the virtual partition is always available.
It is also a good idea to add

umount /mnt/data
to /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown

To install slackware packages what I usually do is
1 Untar the package.
2 One of the directories unpacked is named "install" I simply delete this directory
3 Make a directory named whatever I want the whole package to be called.
4 Move everything else into the new directory.
5 Create a new tarball from this directory with exacly the same name as thie directory.
6 Install as an alien package with Petget.

You may find that Qt 4* is needed for the curent slackware version HPLIP.

Good luck[/code]

MikeLockmoore

My Photosmart C5180 is Printing!!!

#8 Post by MikeLockmoore »

YESSS! I decided to focus on just getting the HPIJS running with CUPS, and it now works! I can print from within AbiWord and SeaMonkey, as well as send text files from the BASH prompt.

I think I am going to summarize my steps in the new thread by jeff44 who is trying to set up an HP C3180 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 319#110319 , because I'm sure it will be a similar situation for him. There were a few non-obvious things I needed to do, since my printer is connected to my wireless AP/router.

But now I can print from my wireless Puppy laptop. 8) So cool...

Maybe sometime (say, between next weekend and never), I'll try again to get the HP Printer GUI working properly. I'd also like to get the scanner function, but that requires SANE, and I'm running a bit short of sanity tonight. :)

Thanks everyone who pitched in with advice and moral support!
Mike Lockmoore

Billwho?
Trialing 4.20

#9 Post by Billwho? »

MikeLockmoore wrote:I've been trying to build and install the HPLIP driver for my new HP Photosmart C5180 All-in-One. It seems HP wants me to have around 600 MB of stuff just to print and be able to pop up a GUI to do a few maintenance tasks. I've downloaded the dependency source packages, built, and installed a lot of them, but two things are still tripping me up:

1) There is a dependency on the "Linux Standard Base - Support" (package name "lsb" in some of the major-distro repositories). I have not found a "source" package for this. Maybe I should not be surprised. LSB support is likely to be achieved by certain files and directories being where they are specified with certain names, so the LSB support might need to be done with a bunch of symlinks and copies of things. Wonder if there is a script that would LSB-ize puppy enough for the HP stuff to work?
Hi Mike
I have only glanced at these pages so far but they look like they may be the official project site and have what we are after although I'm not sure there is any source code available.
http://www.linux-foundation.org/spec/
http://www.linux-foundation.org/download/
Good luck
Bill