Problems & questions with using Puppy as my sole OS

Using applications, configuring, problems
mike

#16 Post by mike »

open office is available as a pup-get package. go start menu, setup, pupget package manager, then install from the database (not the website.

the reb/broken f-prot will be fixed once you install f-prot - look for that option in the start menu as well, it's there somewhere.

i hope this is some use to you

paullecorde

#17 Post by paullecorde »

In trying to use Puppy as the sole OS on this computer, here is where I'm at.

I have used the debian installation disk to create the three partitions and install a GRUB bootloader. (I had GRUB working at one point but after subsequent installs and reinstalls I have not been able to reproduce that.) So I have an ext2, ext3, Linux style harddrive with a partion for the MBR. I have been using Puppy from the CD and have installed DotPup packages and even a couple of alien programs. However, I don't think
Puppy is running the way I would like it to. Since I haven't got the bootloader working I guess I'm still running from the CD and have not correctly installed Puppy to the hard drive. Last night, I tried to install the full OpenOffice using OO's installer. It kept telling me that there's not enough room on the device. Puppy and the few DotPup packages are the only things on the hard drive. I am assuming that Puppy is still working on the principle that it only has the pup001 file to work with. I tried increasing the size of pup001 but still got the not enough room message.

So, what I want to do is install Puppy to the hard drive and not run in RAM, I want Puppy to know that it has the whole hard drive - so I don't have to keep mounting /mnt/data, etc., everytime I reboot and I want to be able to install programs/packages to the hard drive and use those with Puppy. I have read about using option 2 to install Puppy to the hard drive. Does this option 2 choice really install Puppy to the hard drive so that it doesn't have to run in RAM? Also, I already have a Linux
partioned hard drive, so I don't want to use the install MSDOS option. This option 2-is it part of Puppy's boot from the CD or do I go to it from the Start menu? If I have a boot partition can I simply delete everything from the current GRUB file and install the GRUB file from this forum or should I keep trying to update the list in the current version of GRUB? The final question is this... if you are getting ready to change Puppy to be based on Vector instead of Mandrake, so I just install Vector as the primary OS? Will updating to a newer version of Puppy after I have installed to the hard drive cause problems with all the programs/packages I install now?

mike

#18 Post by mike »

you should choose the install puppy to hard drive option from the start menu. choose option 2. follow the prompts. you get a full installation, just like any other distro, only it only takes about 2 minutes.

yes, puppy will no longer run completely from ram.

which partition do you have the current grub files stored on?

you probably will not be able to install the complete open office -

i repeat, though, Oo is available through pup-get! alot of other things as well!

if you choose to install grub during the install of puppy to hard drive, and need help setting up so that other OS's are recognized, kust ask and we will help you.

paullecorde

#19 Post by paullecorde »

I just wanted to thank Klhrevolutionist for helping me (walking me through) install Puppy to the hard drive and helping answer my questions about that process. Puppy is happily inhabiting the hard drive as the sole OS.

Thank you to everyone who gave me answers, comments and suggestions in this forum!