All of a sudden no wireless!

Using applications, configuring, problems
alamourus

All of a sudden no wireless!

#1 Post by alamourus »

I've been connecting with a MOtorola pcmcia card for the last wk.
then last night as I ran the Network Wizard and did the DHCP, instead of connecting within seconds, it hangs for minutes and says 'unsuccessful.

nothing has changed since i first was able to connect
any ideas?

thanks,
as

Bill_Gates

#2 Post by Bill_Gates »

I also have this problem from time to time, and it seems to be more prevalent when trying to connect to an open network rather then a encrypted one. If I scan for networks I see them but when clicking on DHCP it hangs around 25% and then is unsuccessful.
Assuming you're using the Puppy_Network_Setup app I found that clicking the “open
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

The other day I think I found a bug with the Network Wizard.

When creating the wizard I initially tested with an open connection and it worked, then went to implement the encrypted part. Since then I've always use encrypted connections until...

I went to a Cafe that provides an open connection and couldn't connect, after investigating I saw that I had to disable the WEP key to connect.

Code: Select all

iwconfig <device> key off
e.g.
iwconfig wlan0 key off
Some people reported that rutilt was working for them better when using open connections and it didn't make sense to me and couldn't recreate the problem until now.

Does this ring a bell?
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Bill_Gates

#4 Post by Bill_Gates »

rarsa wrote:
I went to a Cafe that provides an open connection and couldn't connect, after investigating I saw that I had to disable the WEP key to connect.

iwconfig <device> key off
e.g.
iwconfig wlan0 key off
Does this ring a bell?

It sure does rarsa!

This code is typed in a terminal window?
Can it be added it to /usr/local/apps/Connect/AppRun? In my case

iwconfig eth1 key off
This way it clears out the WEP each time the Network_Setup is started?
-Bill

[b][i]"Who needs M$ - Puppy Rules!"[/i][/b] :P

jonyo

#5 Post by jonyo »

I had no probs (connection wise) using live cd 2.12 & 3 with wep 64 & hex . Rock solid. :!:

Using live cd 2.14 on this desk rig, same deal as above but once in a blue moon (rarely) I lose the connection. Can only get it back with a reboot..

Managed to mess up the net wiz again though & got it to crash before fixing it.. Manged to input my parameters twice again (if you remember rarsa, like before).

Still haven't figured out a clean boot direct to wifi connection & still going through rutilt & a few steps along the way (on this rig). Haven't tried to sort it out though. No big deal clicking a few things to get wifi up & running for me rather than the possible hrs & days it may take me to sort out a clean wifi connection boot..
Last edited by jonyo on Wed 04 Apr 2007, 14:16, edited 1 time in total.

jonyo

Re: All of a sudden no wireless!

#6 Post by jonyo »

I've had mixed results with the DHCP. Sometimes it connects almost right away, sometimes it takes minutes & sometimes comes up unsuccessful (sometimes twice). No rhyme or reason to it that I know of. But it alway works eventually where I originally had a connection.

Might be that you just need to keep trying & it'll work.

nothing has changed since i first was able to connect
any ideas?

thanks,
as

MikeLockmoore

#7 Post by MikeLockmoore »

I've had a lot of trouble with my wireless cards, too (See this post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13268).

Just last night, when doing some experiments with fbcon, I booted my PC with the wireless adapter with a "blank" Puppy 2.14 Live CD. After I got to the XVESA desktop, I tested the wireless setup wizard, just to see if I was still having trouble. Much to my surprise, it actually worked with DHCP! I could get to the web. I have no idea why it worked this time and failed N times before. I ended up rebooting, and the wireless network wizard worked a second time, giving me a live connection through DHCP.

So then I tried to make a new multi-session CD-R to use with this wireless PC, but then I could not get a DHCP connection back. I tried several times. I even tried a static IP address assignment. Very frustrating!

Maybe my wireless AP/router is being fickle about Puppy attempting to connect. It works occationally when the stars are aligned 'just so,' but not usually, apparently. I don't know a good way to diagnose this.

Anybody recognize this pattern? Is there anything I can do to narrow down the source of trouble and maybe get it working reliably?
Mike Lockmoore

jonyo

#8 Post by jonyo »

MikeLockmoore wrote:I've had a lot of trouble with my wireless cards, too (See this post: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=13268).
Just to clear up I've had no probs getting a solid wifi connection using live cd 2.12-3&4 on ~ 7 rigs lap & desk including all onboard lap mini pci cards.
MikeLockmoore wrote:Just last night, when doing some experiments with fbcon, I booted my PC with the wireless adapter with a "blank" Puppy 2.14 Live CD. After I got to the XVESA desktop, I tested the wireless setup wizard, just to see if I was still having trouble. Much to my surprise, it actually worked with DHCP! I could get to the web. I have no idea why it worked this time and failed N times before. I ended up rebooting, and the wireless network wizard worked a second time, giving me a live connection through DHCP.
Have to use DHCP to get all my setups connected wifi. I'm just sayin DHCP acts up a bit for me but always get a solid connection.
======================================
I think the below is where you started to go wrong. My understanding is that going multisession is problematic period & I only attempted it once. I stick to what I know works for me. When i started out with pup, I kept trying new things & just kept running into new probs..so one thing at a time for me now.
MikeLockmoore wrote:So then I tried to make a new multi-session CD-R to use with this wireless PC, but then I could not get a DHCP connection back. I tried several times. I even tried a static IP address assignment. Very frustrating!

Maybe my wireless AP/router is being fickle about Puppy attempting to connect. It works occationally when the stars are aligned 'just so,' but not usually, apparently. I don't know a good way to diagnose this.

Anybody recognize this pattern? Is there anything I can do to narrow down the source of trouble and maybe get it working reliably?

MikeLockmoore

#9 Post by MikeLockmoore »

(jonyo said...) I think the below is where you started to go wrong. My understanding is that going multisession is problematic period
Jonyo, I went back to my fresh 2.14 CD and was able to get wireless working with the wizard... no fuss, no muss. I think you are right about multi-session being a problem. I have my pup-save file now on a USB stick... only 128 MB for this particular one :(, but Puppy doesn't need much to get by. :) and I am able to reboot and get back online instantly.

I'm going to update my original thread about this turn of events. Still don't know what is going on, but I would now assume that the unionfs does not present the correct driver file(s) during the initialization from the multi-session CD somehow.

Anyway, it's nice to have Puppy now available on a second machine that can go online. I can work on Linux and Puppy on one machine the same time my wife works on her Windows stuff on another. :D
Mike Lockmoore

jonyo

#10 Post by jonyo »

Bigger sticks are cheap & out there but why not just save to hard drive? Can select 512 megs then adjust up to one gig if required..

Dunno what I did but this computer froze (2.14 live cd) for the first time & think it may have been the screen setting but dunno. Can't remember it happenin before.

Had to hit the reset button to get a boot & lo & behold..booted up straight into a wifi connection for the first time ever for me. :D

I've had to use at least auto dhcp, to get a wifi connection on all my other setups, on boot.
MikeLockmoore wrote: I have my pup-save file now on a USB stick... only 128 MB for this particular one :(, but Puppy doesn't need much to get by. :) and I am able to reboot and get back online instantly.

n8siv

all of a sudden no wireless

#11 Post by n8siv »

I have had the problem not geting a ip with dhcp after a number of boots.
I have tested it on all install types and live cd with same result,s.
It seem,s to be with the network wizard ?
Now i have put my wireless setup in the rc.local file so far
all is working but i am still not done testing yet .
I have not re booted as maney times yet on my systems to
see if happens with it this way.
the fix is out thier :lol:

rarsa

Re: all of a sudden no wireless

#12 Post by rarsa »

n8siv wrote: It seem,s to be with the network wizard ?
Now i have put my wireless setup in the rc.local file so far
all is working.
Then it is not the network wizard. but the rc.network
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

jonyo

#13 Post by jonyo »

:shock: delete