Opera Browser on 2.15 RC3 - SOLVED

Using applications, configuring, problems
Scoticus

Opera Browser on 2.15 RC3 - SOLVED

#1 Post by Scoticus »

I downloaded Gemgame and Opera 9.10 from the Puppy software installer and having re-booted found that the game correctly located in games but Opera appears as a Dotpup.

No matter what I try I cannot access Opera. I tried to change the internet icon by right clicking and changing the default to Opera but no luck there.

Can you offer guidance on this ? I would have thought that with every other browser under the sun showing up in the internet section that Opera should end up there also.

Ian
Last edited by Scoticus on Sat 31 Mar 2007, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

trapster

#2 Post by trapster »

I would think even though it's listed in dotpups, it would still start when you click on it. I cannot help you there except to ask what happens if you type opera in a console. or try "which opera" in a console.

As far as the menu placement...Have you tried "fixmenus" in a console?As far as what I think I've learned so far, navigate to /usr/share/applications and find opera**.desktop, right click on the file, select 'open as text' and see what the category is. it should read something like this:

Code: Select all

Categories=Internet;WebBrowser
Hmmm.....for that matter, I have the opera**.desktop file and do not have opera installed.
Maybe I'm not quite clear on this new xdgmxyz menu thing yet. :?
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Scoticus

Opera Browser on 2.15 RC3

#3 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks trapster

Followed your suggestions and got :

sh-3.00# opera
./bin/opera: error while loading shared libraries: libqt-mt.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
sh-3.00#

sh-3.00# which opera
/usr/local/bin/opera
sh-3.00#

then went /use/local/bin/opera and it displayed

#!/bin/bash
cd "/usr/local/opera-9.10-20061214.6-shared-qt.i386-en-521"
"/usr/local/opera-9.10-20061214.6-shared-qt.i386-en-521/opera" "$@"

tried your suggestion /usr/share/applications but could not find Opera**.desktop. Opened as text and this was displayed :

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Opera
Icon=/usr/share/icons/opera-9.10-20061214.6-shared-qt.i386-en-521.xpm
Comment=Opera 9.10
Exec=/usr/local/bin/opera
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=Network;WebBrowser
GenericName=opera-9.10-20061214.6-shared-qt.i386-en-521

Tried changing Categories=Internet;Webbrowser but nothing changed.

Lastly used fix menus and it seemed to work by at least placing it in the internet folder. However no matter what I try I cannot activate Opera.

Clicking on Dillo, Firefox and SeaMonkey works fine but no luck on my choice. Tried right clicking the icon and changing default browser to Opera, still nothing.

Any further suggestions ?

Ian

trapster

#4 Post by trapster »

Now I'm confused. What happened to your progress in your other thread about opera Here
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

WhoDo

Re: Opera Browser on 2.15 RC3

#5 Post by WhoDo »

Scoticus wrote:I downloaded Gemgame and Opera 9.10 from the Puppy software installer and having re-booted found that the game correctly located in games but Opera appears as a Dotpup.
Opera requires qt-3.3.6 from PETget. Without a working version the XDG menus just ignore the application, even though there may be a .desktop file available.

When you have installed the qt libraries, and run fixmenus, the dotpup entry will disappear and a new entry will appear in the appropriate menu section.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Scoticus

Opera Browser on 2.15 RC3

#6 Post by Scoticus »

Many thanks WhoDo everything now working a treat.

Showing Opera as "GenericName=opera-9.10-20061214.6-shared-qt.i386-en-521" confused me as I thought that this was an updated qt file.

You keep sneeking these quirky bits in. Is it to keep us all awake ?

Ian

PS She must be obeyed thanks you for the gemgame. You can take down the barricades.

WhoDo

Re: Opera Browser on 2.15 RC3

#7 Post by WhoDo »

Scoticus wrote:Showing Opera as "GenericName=opera-9.10-20061214.6-shared-qt.i386-en-521" confused me as I thought that this was an updated qt file.

You keep sneeking these quirky bits in. Is it to keep us all awake ?

Ian

PS She must be obeyed thanks you for the gemgame. You can take down the barricades.
Not guilty on the Opera naming. :P Don't know why such a long name was necessary, but my guess is the "shared-qt" part is the clue that it still needs qt.

Glad I don't have to keep wearing the trenchcoat, fedora and dark glasses any more. The barricades can stay until I know she has settled right back down! :lol:
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com