No boot from CD

Booting, installing, newbie
torello

No boot from CD

#1 Post by torello »

Hi,

Feel stupid to ask but I need some help
1) My cd/dvd drive can boot (Suse 9.2 does boot)
2) Used Nero <recorder>-<burn image> and burnen two versions cd-puppy.iso and puppy-1.04-mozilla.iso
3) Tried to boot both with out any luck

I do have a dual boot system (Linux / XP) so is LILO beeing nasty? Why can't I boot the CD?
If used a CD-RW. If I take a look on the CD (with cd-puppy) I see 5 files:
Boot.cat image.gz isolinux.bin isolinux.cfg, vmlinuz.
Is this ok or need there bee more?

Who can help me?

Bruce B

#2 Post by Bruce B »

Honestly, I had problems with RW disks and booting. I don't have a lot of statistic to go on, but the little I have was sufficient for me to decide to make all bootable disks on write once disks.

My advice is if you want to use an RW disk, do a full erase first, burn at low speed.

There isn't anything wrong with Puppy as a bootable CD. I doubt there is something wrong with with your CD drive because it boots Suse.

So what's wrong? I'd guess something with the CD itself. What do you think?

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#3 Post by Lobster »

I would go into the BIOS and turn off booting from HD

then boot from CD

if that is not working try on another machine - if that not possible or not working
check your md5Sum - if that is OK try burning again (it can be OK and still not work - correct me if I am wrong on this)

Tell us a little more about what is happening if none of this works out . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

Another thought, Nero is good, I think. But when I ran Windows I never used Nero to burn .iso files.

I used Golden Hawk Technology's command line software. As I remember the command line instructions were:

iso2cd puppy-1.04-mozilla.iso /speed=4

It never messed up a burn.

torello

got the puppy booting...

#5 Post by torello »

Yep, :oops: the RW was not erased. So when erased first, and then burned. I saw the puppy.... for a short while. After te "copy blabla. fs to /.." and some lines after that which i could not pause to read, the screen went black and stayed black...
or should I wait for more then 3 minutes??

#6 Post by Guest »

should be 8 files
boot.cat goofy.16 isolinux.bin usr_cram.fs
boot.msg image.gz isolinux.cfg vmlinuz

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#7 Post by Lobster »

I only use Burncdcc from Windows at low speed onto CD/RW - I never do a check sum because the burns always work . . .

You can check out the best way to burn a CD from the beginners section (do not be insulted) of the wiki
http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/CreatingAnImageOnCD

That seems to be your problem - we hope to welcome you to the kennels soon - let us know

woof woof

PS.
- incidentally, writing this from the new Austrumi - nice
Last edited by Lobster on Sat 13 Aug 2005, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

raffy

just use it in winxp

#8 Post by raffy »

quickest way still is install to winxp drive (as you said you have the cd files).

also please check your available memory (that includes swap partition space), must be 96 MB for puppy1.04 standard and 128 MB for chubby.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

torello, if i read correctly, you earsed the RW, burned it again and it behaved differently, albeit not successfully.. What does that suggest to you?

I think the problem is with the CD or process. Probably the CD.

I use write once CDs for these installation disks and things go right almost always.

Bruce B

Re: just use it in winxp

#10 Post by Bruce B »

quickest way still is install to winxp drive (as you said you have the cd files).
Quickest? Okay.

My way is (I'm being serious) is to get rid of XP altogether. I suppose I could take a more conservative approach, but my technique really works. If there is not important user files to protect, I use Duke and Nuke, and start from scratch with a clean disk.

My mom runs Suse and she says the Solitare game is a lot better than XP's. She also enjoys all the screen savers.

What happened is: XP broke and I fixed it for her. She never had another problem with XP again.

Dad temporarily runs Puppy with icewm, while I build him a new computer. He says, "It's sort of fun! It reminds me of my Unix days."

This post is of no technical value, but if was fun writing it.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#11 Post by Flash »

Hmm. Someone else gets a black screen after usr_cram.fs loads.....