Wget doesn't resolve to correct IP

Booting, installing, newbie
BigPilot

Wget doesn't resolve to correct IP

#1 Post by BigPilot »

I have Puppy 2.13 installed on HD and when I use DotPup Downloader that it uses wget to download the file. However it looks like something isn't working right since it's trying to access an incorrect IP: 1.0.0.0. The output reads:

Resolving www.puppylinux.org: 1.0.0.0

Strangely PETGet also uses wget and it works correctly. When I ping www.puppylinux.org I also get a correct IP.

Has anyone seen this before?

MU

#2 Post by MU »

the dotpup-downloader is depreciated and no longer part of Puppy since 2.14.
I recommend to use PSI instead:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=10960

Mark

BigPilot

#3 Post by BigPilot »

I found out that when I run wget from the command line I also get incorrect resolving of the IP address.

However, when I do a 'ping' to the domain and then run wget again with an url pointing to that domain the resolving works correctly. So it seems that some sort of caching may be to blame.

Does this ring a bell with anyone?

MU

#4 Post by MU »

maybe wget-wizard can help solving your issue:

http://dotpups.de/dotpups/Internet/
Mark

BigPilot

#5 Post by BigPilot »

Thanks but that made it ever worse. I tried filling in some values for the Proxy but wget then bails out immediately. I had to delete the .wgetrc file to get it to revert its previous incorrect state. I just don't get this. Is wget caching DNS lookups somewhere?

The problem is that if I don't get this working many things won't work: software installation but also the 3DCC uses wget to download 3-D drivers.