How to boot Puppy on P965 Mobo with IDE CD drive?

Using applications, configuring, problems
pofadda

How to boot Puppy on P965 Mobo with IDE CD drive?

#1 Post by pofadda »

... but with no solution to this ****ing P965/jmicron/sata problem (see amongst others, "Can't run Puppy CD. An 'idecd' error" post of 2 months ago).

Thank god for Windows which lets me keep working. someone said 'I don't have the time to use Linux' and I sometimes have to agree with him. This is a case in point. A change in technology - Core Duo/SATA/Intel's dodgy P965 chip - and suddenly the Linux distro cavalcade shudders to a halt because it is such a bugger to get said distros to install now! Although this technology has been around for, what?, about a year? no one seems to have found a way to adapt the install process to it. Even the Puppy brigade seem oblivious to the problem: even the latest CDs fail to install and WakePup2 just locks up saying GRUB after a jerk of the boot floppy.

Let me ask again: HAS ANYBODY ACTUALLY INSTALLED PUPPY ON A P965 MOBO WITH JMICRON CONTROLLER AND AN IDE CD DRIVE? You have? please tell me how you did it. A lot of unhappy upgraders will be really pleased to know too.

Grr.
Pofadda, the Imperfect

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

Maybe this will help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16950
It involves copying the Puppy files onto your hard drive and building a custom boot CD that matches your hardware.

pofadda

#3 Post by pofadda »

rcrsn51 wrote:Maybe this will help.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=16950
It involves copying the Puppy files onto your hard drive and building a custom boot CD that matches your hardware.
Thanks very much, I'll try it.

This is still a work-around, a kludge and doesn't address the underlying issue: that because of the P965 chipset and its related jMicron hanger-on, booting fails. The jMicron does not boot from BIOS device 'CD' or USB-ZIP or whatever; it boots from detected drives with rather unique labels: my DVD is called TSS-S162A or summat and the USB pen only boots as USB-HDD0 and these only after ESC-ing to a boot menu on boot-up. This new terminology is, I think, where Watchpup2 fails.

This is ultimately, Intel's fault for blithely ignoring the vast swathe of users of 'old' IDE technology, allowing half-arsed solutions like jMicron's.
Pofadda, the Imperfect