USB Boot Vs Multi-Sessioin CD Boot

Booting, installing, newbie
k4bbob

USB Boot Vs Multi-Sessioin CD Boot

#1 Post by k4bbob »

Can the bootable USB flash drive retain personal configurations like the multi-session CD?

On the CD, I will ocassionally save the session, and the next time I boot, it remembers my network configurations, the dotpup added programs, etc.

Am I doing something wrong when using the USB flash drive and try to save after a session? The info is just not there when I re-boot with the USB drive.

bb

DennisF

#2 Post by DennisF »

Can the bootable USB flash drive retain personal configurations like the multi-session CD?
Yes. Just similar to CD. A single pup_save is created rather than multiple sessions.
It will store all changes and data.
Am I doing something wrong when using the USB flash drive and try to save after a session? The info is just not there when I re-boot with the USB drive.
Yes. You should be able to save to USB.
How did you install to USB? What version of Puppy?
Need to know a little more to help on this as USB should do what you want just fine.

-DF

k4bbob

#3 Post by k4bbob »

Thaks for the reply, DennisF.

I am now using PuppyLinux 2.15CE. Today, I installed it on a Sandisk USB flash memory, and tried to use it like a multi-session CD. Prior to that, I was using 2.13 on USB memory (same stick), and it did not act like the multi CD, either.

Yes, I do choose "Save" when exiting Puppy. Should I try a newer flash drive?

bb

DennisF

#4 Post by DennisF »

I don't think it's your flash drive. If you can boot from it you are over the biggest hurdle.

Did you use the Puppy universal installer to install to the flash drive?

Make sure of the obvious things first. Depending on the machine thc CD may boot before the USB. When you boot USB is the Puppy CD removed?

If you made a pup_save after the first boot on the flash drive your settings should be saved. For example your xorg/xvesa settings won't be prompted when you first startup. You should also be able to add network settings, change your desktop background, etc.

I am inclined to think you are booting the USB with a PFIX=RAM parameter. This would tell Puppy to ignore the pup_save and load like it would the very first boot.

HTH
-DF

k4bbob

#5 Post by k4bbob »

DennisF:

On my Dell laptop (Latitude D800), and my Dell desktop (Dimension 4600), you simply press F12 while booting, and your are given a screen to choose which media from which to boot. It is not like the traditional method of going to the bios and re-arranging the boot order.

Last night, I played with Puppy USB for a while. When the save option comes up, and the choice to save is made, the next screen gives you a choice of how large to make the save file. it will automatically recommend a size.

In my case I use a 1 GB flash drive, and Puppy recommends a 512 MB file. It never saves that file to the drive. However, I changed the file size to 128 MB last night, and it did save the file to flash, but, when I re-booted, the computer barfed when loading the file, and defaulted to the original settings.

I will try a few other things, and am encourged that Puppy will retain my configs in USB flash. All I have to do is to find out why my installation is not behaving as advertised.

Thanks for your help. If you have further suggestions I will be happy to keep trying.

bb

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Try copying an existing pup_save file from your hard drive to the flash drive. Puppy may be happier if it has one to start with.

craftybytes

#7 Post by craftybytes »

K4bbob - keep in mind - there is a difference in save files for a USB Flash drive vs Multi-session CD - in saving to USB Flash the 'pup_save.2fs' file is ONLY a single file - whereas when saving to MS CD - the 'pup_save' files are written to the CD/DVD one after the other as SEPARATE files and on reboot will 'default' to the last "save" files (so after while of Puppy use - the CD will eventually be FILLED up - so cannot use it any more for saving to)..

The other advantage with using the USB Flash drive method is that Puppy automatically saves to flash drive every 30 minutes or so (this can be tweaked) during a session as well as doing a final save to flash drive when you close down or reboot..

HTH..
3 x boot:- ASROCK VIA 'all-in-one' m/b; AMD Duron 1.8Ghz+; 1.0GB RAM; 20GB hdd (WinXP Pro); 80GB hdd (MEPIS 3.4-3/Puppy v2.15CE Frugal); 1GB USB pendrive (Puppy 2.15CE Frugal); CD/DVDRW; 17" LCD monitor; HSF 56k modem... MEPIS is great.. Puppy ROCKS..

k4bbob

Puppy Is Slick!

#8 Post by k4bbob »

DennisF, rcrsn51, craftybytes:

It works, now, on a different, and faster flash drive. I changed to Cruiser Corsair drive from the Sandisk I was using. It works fine. Sandisk would boot, but would not save.

I don't know why one drive would work before another, but, that is the only difference I can see.

I had tried everything, from mounting the USB to unmounting the USB, and changing any parameter I could. I now have a 512 mb .2fs file on the USB drive, and have over 300 mb left for other stuff.

Thanks for all the information, folks. I learned a lot from you.

By the way, Puppy on USB is the slickest thing I have seen. Period. Now, it doesn't bark at me anymore, and my parameters like browser favorites, passwords, etc. are there. Fantastic!

bb