Creative Modem Blaster V.92

twodees

Creative Modem Blaster V.92

#1 Post by twodees »

Using Puppy version 2.14 live CD, the hardware serial modem by Creative, model # DE5621 worked immediately with my dialup connection. I used the GK Dialer and had no trouble with detection or with configuring.

This particular serial modem is the model stocked by my local Best Buy store and is called the Creative Modem Blaster V.92. Best Buy price was $59.95. The modem comes with cables and is a true hardware, controller based modem with Conexant chipset controller. Included is software on CD for installation on Windows 95 through XP.

The computer I'm using is an IBM NetVista P4, 2.4Ghz, 512 Mb RAM bought used with a wiped 40GB 7200rpm IDE hard drive which I bought for use with Linux. I tried PCLOS.93a, Ubuntu 6.10, Xubuntu 6.10, and Knoppix 5.1.1 and found hardware detection problems in all of them
Puppy 2.14 was the only OS which worked with my hardware right out of the box so it has become my Linux OS of choice.

I installed the modem first on a Dell P3 laptop running XP and it improved dialup connection measurably, but I think that installing it with the Windows hardware may have written commands to the controller which interfere a little with connectivity when used with Puppy because it connected at over 34k on the slower laptop and is limited to about 18k on the IBM which has much superior OS speed and is unencumbered by anti-virus software.

I may need to clear commands in the modem controller to get better speed.