Read The #$&% Manual

Booting, installing, newbie
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#16 Post by Flash »

One of the main strengths of this forum is its light tone, for which Lobster deserves much of the credit. Thank you, Lobster. :D

Many people have commented on how lively this forum is. I think that's because beginners feel they are not risking ridicule or wrath to ask questions. I can't remember a single flame war. I'd like to thank everyone for keeping it civil. Even Atang1 didn't make anyone stoop to name calling. 8)

Having looked through several forums for information, I can understand how anyone, faced with the uncertain prospect of an answer despite days spent in front of the computer, might quickly give up and ask for help. Even using a search engine is no guarantee that a forum does not contain the answer you seek, and that you have not missed it. Barry has put by far the best help into Puppy that I've seen in any software, which unfortunately means that most people come to Puppy expecting little or nothing. RTFM is not really helpful advice, until they have had time to get to know Puppy and see what a treasure trove it is. So thank all you knowledgeable people who patiently answer those stoopid newbie questions. :lol:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#17 Post by Lobster »

Dear Friends of All Puppys,

Many thanks for everyones comments. Most intriguing . . . I think Flash may have to move us to MISC :oops:

In my years as a communicator with Penguins and other strange beings I have learnt that what is meant and what is conveyed may vary.

Like most people here I welcome new Puppys. Like most people here I liked to be helped and am dissapointed when no one can give me the exact info I require (preferably within 15 minutes of asking).
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?p=7344#7344

(still awaiting help with that one . . .)

I am not reasonable. :oops: - I just expect everyone else to be . . .

I am no longer a Linux newby - now I am just a general purpose ignoramus.

Humour is very subjective and sometimes difficult to convey - so I tend to direct it upon myself and my imaginary psychiatrist.

The most helpful and useful thing we can do for Puppy is answering and helping newcomers - assuming we are not smart enought to program like BladeH, Barry, G2, Jesse, Ian etc etc.

Not up for it? (being kind to new Puppys) OK - that is fine. That too is reasonable. There may be other areas to get involved in. For me it is the wiki. Creating an evolving web site
http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/puppy3

Be 8)
Be Kind - it works best (kind of the assembly language of human interaction)

. . . meanwhile I have a religion to run and offer heresies for . . .
http://www.zen45800.zen.co.uk/shrine/
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Stokey

Answers and Questions

#18 Post by Stokey »

Earlier in this thread Flash mentioned near the end in his post -

......"stoopid newbie questions"

Now Flash you have made nearly 600 posts to the Forum an old exprienced hand

How many "stoopid answers" have you given to let us say "none stoopid questions"

Q and A's both have their "stoopid elements"

I have seen answers given on the Forum by some of the lets call them experts and thought to myself "what a stoopid answer that was"

My own opinion there is no such thing as a "stoopid question"

Lazy questions maybe where the answer is available somewhere on the Forum or elsewhere

So don't let Puppy become a LUT's distro

Flash you do know what LUT stands for.... YOU DON'T whats the matter with you "stoopid or something".........Get my drift
Elvis Lives, three-dimensional

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#19 Post by Flash »

Sorry, "stoopid newbie" was meant to be funny. I thought that would be obvious after reading the rest of my post. Ah, well.. :oops:

danleff

#20 Post by danleff »

Now time for a humorous story.

I was away from the office two days this week installing telemedicine (video conferencing) equipment at one of our locations.

My office has one such unit onsite.

"Somehow", the unit got turned on while I was away.

The camera is voice/motion activated.

When I came back today, there was a flurry of angry "newbie" co-workers. It seems that they activated the software and the camera was following them around when they moved near the unit. They placed a sheet of paper over the camera lens, so it could not "watch" them.

I think that they really thought that I activated the unit remotely and was doing the dirty deed.

The moral of the story?

If you are a "helper" person, you have to expect to get blamed for a "problem" or take some heat, whether it is your fault, or not.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Stokey

#21 Post by Stokey »

Sorry "stoopid newbie" was...... funny I thought that would be obvious after reading the rest of my post. Ah, well..
:( :lol: :cry:
Last edited by Stokey on Sat 20 Aug 2005, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
Elvis Lives, three-dimensional

bigk101

Thanks

#22 Post by bigk101 »

I want to thank every one for making the puppy distro !Also for having a great forum that is easy to read and learn from .Latley I've been trying out the downloads at ibiblio to put puppy-unleashed-104 together. It seems I've started a coaster factory of sorts , but by rereading the home and download page I 've found solutions to many problems , and have found the forum to be a goldmine of info .tThe script i was able to download to my puppy install and then start wget and download the packages1 is a blessing in more ways than 1.By looking at the script itself I was able to find the command -chmod a+x in order to change permissions and exec expandtarrballs.sh.I can't find any other reference to using the command on the install instruction page . but by checking out the links ,I found the solution . I wonder if thats what barry means when he says there is a slight learning curev involved.! thanks again