GNU cash and underdog

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
tronkel

GNU cash and underdog

#1 Post by tronkel »

Nathan - what is an underdog feature?
and I would be interested in learning what I need to know.. to "roll my own"...
where do I start? What do I need to know? What do I need to have? ( I have read these posts for HOURs and hours... I have lots of info in my head space but nothing that ties it all together...
Hi. Good point about GNUcash. For that very reason I did an experiment with the Simply Mepis distro just to discover how successful it would be with installing a "difficult" package such as GNUcash. It managed to install GNUcash no problem via it's package manager i.e. apt-get. It had to install a lot of dependencies in order
to achieve this. Difficult to do in Puppy.

This is exaclty why I made the point in the 2.15CE forum that Puppy really needs to be able hook into, say, the CRN Linspire repository, directly or via apt-get. Difficult to implement though.

If you had underdog set up in Puppy, this would allow you to access say an install of GNUcash in Mepis that was installed on your hard drive partition from within Puppy. I once wrote a script for that. I'll try to attach it here. If that doesn't work, do this:
Make a blank text file. Put a single line in it "hda1" (no quotes). Name it ''underdog.lnx' .Put that in your home partition. Then restart Puppy. You can now execute all of the programs in the underlying
partition from Puppy. GNUcash ought to now run in Puppy. Have a go with this and let me know how you get on.

Link to script and help with underdog:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 75&t=13750
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer