Seamonkey won't actually wipe deleted e-mails?

Using applications, configuring, problems
PaulBx1

#16 Post by PaulBx1 »

Yes, "compact" is what you need to do to recover that space. I often need to remind myself of that. :?

I've found the Gdmap utility under the Filesystem menu (in 2.14 anyway) useful for finding what is taking up the room in my pup_save; most times it is big, uncompacted email folders, the trash folder often being the largest. You have to open /initrd/pup_rw to look at it.

Another thing I've gotten in the habit of doing is using the search feature in Seamonkey and sorting messages by size. I find the messages with the largest attachments, usually just jpgs that I don't need, and either delete the entire message, or if I want to keep that, delete just the jpg or other attachment. Then compact again...

Also, I'm on an email list where people are always sending pictures. I've gotten into the habit of simply deleting the pictures as soon as I've read the message.

perixx

#17 Post by perixx »

@ richard a:

I've read about rumors that some Addon bars might contain spyware and/or malware; actually I don't think that widely used tools on the official mozdev or firefox-extensions websites will contain any nasties - they have nothing to do with '3rd party-ware' that's installed along with other freeware tools and apps, but they're developed by members of the Mozilla community and their source code is published mostly, too ;¬)

I was a bit lazy myself and didn't put enough effort in searching for good Addons for Mozilla since I used it - that's for several years now, afer all. But my concern's growing about privacy and 'security' issues, which often overlap. I have some Addons in use currently: 'Noscript', 'Adblock+', 'Cookie Culler', 'Switch Profile', and, thanks to Eyes-only, the great 'Prefbar'. Should I get 'Objection' to work on Seamonkey - my wishlist was perfect! Oh, I'll give 'Torpark' a try anytime soon, maybe along with 'Jap', for better anonymity. And might try a proxy switcher aswell - I hope to find a setup that satisfies my needs even in mid-future.

perixx

richard.a

#18 Post by richard.a »

PaulBx1 wrote:Also, I'm on an email list where people are always sending pictures. I've gotten into the habit of simply deleting the pictures as soon as I've read the message.
Heh :) Painful :D

I still use a w2000 machine with Firefox and Thunderbird for mailchecking and collecting, and going to links within emails (such as "because you are watching the topic, "Seamonkey won't actually wipe deleted e-mails?" at Puppy Linux Discussion Forum. This topic has received a reply since your last visit"), as well as for general surfing arising out of lists and emails, and my online archiving of various attachments on behalf of someone for whom I host a small website.

Actually with AVG anti-virus, Spybot-search-and-destroy and Ad-aware this has shown me that running a Windows machine virtually 24/7 if you can put up with the time wasting of downloading database updates daily (sometimes more than once a day) and suffering downtime while you actually run these routines to check the machine, you can keep it clean. Patience is needed. But I do happen to like MS Windows for a single, two- or 3-task computer, because of its ease of use and relative unforgiving nature.

If I had only one computer I couldn't afford to waste that amount of time. As this computer's use is nearly over, to be replaced by a *nix machine, I'll put up with it. HP Vectra towers from the 2000 era are so rugged, it'll become a file server eventually :) six 5-1/4inch drive bays is not easily found in modern hardware (and I have two identical such machines). And looking ahead six months or so, one needs consider whether BIOS once Vista is firmly established will allow "foreign" OS's too, from what I've read.

Regarding the original thread, I see Puppy having an enormous advantage over other OS's inasmuch as these undocumented saved files existing in the 1Gb (or whathaveyou) pup_save ext2 or ext3 container can be eliminated by the creating of another save file later on and transferring what is needed to that. Not an elegant work-around, granted. That's far easier than reinstalling a complete OS, surely?

My MO for stuff I want to keep from Thunderbird - the email as a text document, and/or the attachments as whatever they are - is copying to a directory on a separate partition or drive. That way even if the (currently Windows) system goes down and has to be reinstalled, the wanted data is safe. I've used this MO from Windows 3.0 days back in about 1993, and as long as the data partition or disk retains its integrity, you are home and hosed. You can also change mail clients easily knowing your backups are always able to be accessed, being in text or attachments in their native image form. Worth considering.

Windows users have known for a long time the best way to clean up their installation is to format and reinstall, which recovers a lot of space from undocumented saving by the system of multiple copies of many things. One hopes this is not becoming the case for *nix OS's as well.

So, from this thread's origins, a question raises its head, which needs an answer.

If after say 6 months of using Thunderbird, you uninstall IT ( not the OS) and then reinstall it, do you recover disk space used by saved files you don't know about?

Do you know the answer? Because if not, there goes one promoted advantage of a non MS Windows OS, doesn't it? How it looks to me, anyway.
perixx wrote:I've read about rumors that some Addon bars might contain spyware and/or malware;
It was Steve Gibson (grc.com) whose comments I first saw in this regard. A much malligned person in MS-loving circles. He introduced me to Zone Alarm as a real working software firewall for Windows which caught some resident nasties as soon as installed - I had Symantec antivirus there and it hadn't seen it, it was ZoneAlarm asking me if whatever it was should be allowed to communicate with the outside world that tipped me off!

Likewise he mentioned Ad-Aware (Lavasoft) which is also very good for malware detection.

As mentioned above, this is all hideously time-consuming.

While I didn't convert my w2000 into a 2000-lite installation without MSIE and Outlook, figuring it would only be a short-term fix until the computer was replaced by a *nix box, in retrospect I probably should have. However there are many useful MS Windows applications that need to sink their hooks into MSIE which is a confounded nuisance.

Please excuse my waffle. Probably much of this post is irrelevant :)

Richard
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

perixx

#19 Post by perixx »

Well, Adaware - fine. Zonealarm, I hated it from the first sight. Always complaining about 'threats' and giving the creeps to harmless users, while never giving you a clue what's really going on.

I used to have Outpost free for a long time and I had some troubles with that firewall I can tell! But I always could adjust it to my needs and fine-tune a lot of things; apart from that, it was one of the most complete 'security suits' for free with ad-, script-, popup- and cookie blocker. Of course much of the troubles I had grew out of its complexity and deep system hooking also.

If I'd need a firewall for WIN today, I'd probably try one of the recommended ones here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46 ... ties.htm#1

perixx

perixx

#20 Post by perixx »

sorry, double posting here :)

richard.a

#21 Post by richard.a »

perixx wrote:If I'd need a firewall for WIN today, I'd probably try one of the recommended ones here: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46 ... ties.htm#1
perixx
Zone Alarm at that time (I didn't upgrade because of the problem you mentioned) was more user-friendly imho. I still have the original installer executable (I used) for friends to download, so you and I aren't the only folk to discover that :) http://oldzipsarchive.dyndns.org/zonelabs/zonalm21b.exe - which is date-time stamped 23rd March 2000 15:58

I also noticed that Steve Gibson didn't promote Zone Alarm much after I saw his first remarks describing it. There were also difficullties if you installed the evaluation version first, because when the evaluation period expired, the free one would not install, even if you uninstalled first. At least I think that was the problem. One of the difficulties with an "all things to all men" application, I suppose.

I rely on the firewall in my router these days and feel reasonably safe. That's a good link you posted, thanks :)
[i]Have you noticed editing is always needed for the inevitable typos that weren't there when you hit the "post" button?[/i]

[img]http://micro-hard.dreamhosters.com/416434.png[/img]

PaulBx1

#22 Post by PaulBx1 »

Heh :) Painful :D
You think so? I have a pretty low threshold to computer-induced pain, and it doesn't bother me. A couple of clicks, done on autopilot. Your MO sounds painful to me. I guess to each his own preferred form of masochism! :lol:

The very first thing I did with Puppy is move all internet access to it, banning internet usage from my Win98 installation. Windows becomes almost pleasant to use if it's not having to deal with incessant attacks. Who needs virus checkers? Much less spyware deleters... Not on Puppy, and not on Windows either! 8)

perixx

#23 Post by perixx »

Hi again!

I dont't know of the capabilities of hardwarefirewalls in general, but I've heard of some having severe security issues - at least until the firmware is updated. And every day there are new security holes to be found - so you might want to check every now and then, if there's a firmware upgrade availible for your router. But ZonealarmFree isn't really more than a pain in the ass, and obviously not a very useful one. Just look at the comments about firewalls on the link I posted above.

Otherwise, once a baddie is on your system - can really anything stop it from connecting to the outer world? I don't think so - it only depends on the programmer's skills. And what keeps a malicious type of software to use regular ports that are used for internet protocols? I know nothing about packet filtering, though.

I don't really use Win anymore for Internet - only Puppy/Linux. And I'm gonna test the option of having Mozilla running inside VMware soon; that should satisfy my security needs for a while, I suppose - along with finally having Iptables set up correctly :)
And if there's something fancy and new to run - Sandboxie might just hit the spot ^^

perixx