Installation to HDD without CD - how ?

Booting, installing, newbie
Jazzzy

Installation to HDD without CD - how ?

#1 Post by Jazzzy »

I have no CD in my laptop and so I've loaded Puppy by linld.com.
Everything works except fact that install-hd script requires CD to install files to hard drive. Why it has to be so complicated ? I want to specify the location of usr_cram.fs but I don't know how. Installer wants to mount cdrom but I have no cdrom so it fails and won't allow me to install Puppy.

raffy

modify install-hd2.sh

#2 Post by raffy »

The two scripts in /usr/sbin: install-hd2.sh and installfuncs control the process. You have to modify those parts in install-hd2.sh that call the "ripfromcd" (from a function inside the file installfuncs), specifically:

remove the "ripfromcd" command and replace it with the copying commands from installfuncs, using the actual location of vmlinuz (like /mnt/hda1)

so rather than "copy from cdrom", it will be "copy /mnt/hda1/vmlinuz to the /root/tmp"

replace "ripfromcd /root/tmp" by the following:

Code: Select all

echo "Now copying file vmlinuz..."
cp -f /mnt/hda1/vmlinuz /root/tmp
sync
then delete the following lines and save the changes:

#rm /root/tmp/image.gz #don't want this!

rox -D "/mnt/cdrom" > /dev/null 2>&1
umount /mnt/cdrom
eject /dev/cdrom
echo " "
echo "Please remove the CD and close the tray"
lastly, you may have to copy these two files to /tmp if you cannot modify them in their current location, then run install-hd2.sh (option 2).
Last edited by raffy on Sat 13 Aug 2005, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Bruce B

Re: Installation to HDD without CD - how ?

#3 Post by Bruce B »

• Jazzzy wrote:I have no CD in my laptop and so I've loaded Puppy by linld.com.
    Everything works except fact that install-hd script requires CD to install files to hard drive. Why it has to be so complicated ? I want to specify the location of usr_cram.fs but I don't know how. Installer wants to mount cdrom but I have no cdrom so it fails and won't allow me to install Puppy.
    As far as I've learned one can specify the location of the following:
    • vmlinuz
      image.gz
      pupxxx file (which is generated on first boot)
    Where you specify the location of pupxxx file is where usr_cram.fs needs to be. So in a round about way, you can specify the location of usr_cram.fs by specifying where the pupfile is. They are both in the same location.

In order to gain as much control as possible, you must have a boot loader progam. The CD will use defaults with some user choices available, which BTW is satisfactory for most scenerios.

You do not need the CD for an option 1 install, neither do you need the hard-drive installation script. What you need is usr_cram.fs, vmlinux and image.gz. You can copy these three files from the ISO file in DOS, Windows, or Linux. If you want more help, please let me know and be specific about what you wish to accomplish and other relevent information.

Disclaim: This post is written on the presumption you want an option 1 install to the hard drive. If not disregard what I wrote because it has no applicability. :)

Jazzzy

Re: Installation to HDD without CD - how ?

#4 Post by Jazzzy »

The two scripts in /usr/sbin: install-hd2.sh and installfuncs control the process. You have to modify those parts in install-hd2.sh that call the "ripfromcd" (from a function inside the file installfuncs), specifically:
and what if I have no inst* file in /usr/bin and I can't use file searcher because it's window is bigger than my workspace ?
Bruce B wrote: As far as I've learned one can specify the location of the following:
  • vmlinuz
    image.gz
    pupxxx file (which is generated on first boot)
so why didn't you write how to specify it ?
Bruce B wrote: So in a round about way, you can specify the location of usr_cram.fs by specifying where the pupfile is. They are both in the same location.

I'm sorry but I didn't create puppy and I won't guess what and how to modify. I know that there are some files that need to be modified BUT please tell me filename to modify and it's location.
Bruce B wrote: In order to gain as much control as possible, you must have a boot loader progam.
I have but I want Puppy to install Grub into superblock of it's own partition.
Bruce B wrote: You can copy these three files from the ISO file in DOS, Windows, or Linux.
I've copied these files to root folder of my Windows' partition and launched by linld.com, now I want to install this distro to it's partition but problem follows problem, some files needs to be modified but nothing more is known.
Bruce B wrote: If you want more help, please let me know and be specific about what you wish to accomplish and other relevent information.
please do be more specific
Bruce B wrote: Disclaim: This post is written on the presumption you want an option 1 install to the hard drive.
I don't care what the option will be, I just want it to be installed on hard drive.

raffy

/usr/sbin

#5 Post by raffy »

it is /usr/sbin

you are doing a type 2 install, but have no cdrom.

you seem to know what you're doing, but lack a cdrom in your pc, so i advised you a solution for that.

By the way, you already have a hard disk install - but you wanted to put Puppy in its own partition. Keeping your current installation will keep things simple :)
Last edited by raffy on Sun 14 Aug 2005, 00:22, edited 2 times in total.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

Jazzzy excellent formating on the previous post! I'll reply to the relevant parts.

>> Bruce B wrote:

>> As far as I've learned one can specify the location of the following:

>> vmlinuz
>> image.gz
>> pupxxx file (which is generated on first boot)

> so why didn't you write how to specify it ?

How you specify it all depends on the boot manager you use. If you want to use grub, and you tell me where things are, I can tell you how to specify the locations. In your parent post you said you were using lind.com as you boot loader. In your case you would specify it in the configuration file for lind.com. I've not used lind.com. The point is that you can specific the locations of the files listed above, along with pupfile name and size.

[snip]

> I'm sorry but I didn't create puppy and I won't guess what and how to modify. I know that there are some files that need to be modified BUT please tell me filename to modify and it's location.

No files need to be modified on a manual type option 1 install. Only your boot loader configuration.

> I have but I want Puppy to install Grub into superblock of it's own partition.

Then that is what you can do. My preference is to install GRUB for DOS on MS-DOS drive C:, my second preference is to install grub on the mbr.

> I've copied these files to root folder of my Windows' partition and launched by linld.com, now I want to install this distro to it's partition but problem follows problem, some files needs to be modified but nothing more is known.

I hope this is not an Windows NTFS partition. Presuming you are on FAT it seems to me you are good to go, once you have your booting procedure in order. If it is a FAT C: and all the files are on C:\, and you would like some help to get running I'll be glad to write a quick routine for you to get it running. After that you can refine things as you please.

> If you want more help, please let me know and be specific about what you wish to accomplish and other relevant information.

Things I like to know in terms of specifics are revehent factors like:

How much RAM you have
The file partition scheme such as one hard disk with one FAT partition.
What is your current booting OS
Do you enough free space

In your particular case because you mentioned you want Puppy on its own partition:

Most important is an option 1 or option 2 install, raffy is trying to help you with an option 2 and I'm trying to help you with an option 1. We gotta know exactly what your objective is if you know. I'd recommend an option 1 to get started because it is easier, then you can do the option 2 if that is your preference, at which time you will need to do it raffy's way.

Jazzzy

#7 Post by Jazzzy »

it is /usr/sbin
I located the file and modified but as long as Puppy mounts my hard drive as home not hda1 then I can't copy from hda1. Next thing was floppy creation. I had to remove this part because Puppy doesn't recognize my pcmcia fdd.

Bruce B wrote: If you want to use grub, and you tell me where things are, I can tell you how to specify the locations.
I want to use Grub, things (vmlinuz, image.gz and usr_cram.fs) are in root folder of hda1.
Bruce B wrote: No files need to be modified on a manual type option 1 install. Only your boot loader configuration.
Bootloader for Puppy or my current bootloader ?

Bruce B wrote: Then that is what you can do. My preference is to install GRUB for DOS on MS-DOS drive C:, my second preference is to install grub on the mbr.
I don't want Grub in mbr nor in DOS, I want grub in superblock of Puppy's partition.
Bruce B wrote: I hope this is not an Windows NTFS partition. Presuming you are on FAT it seems to me you are good to go, once you have your booting procedure in order. If it is a FAT C: and all the files are on C:\, and you would like some help to get running I'll be glad to write a quick routine for you to get it running. After that you can refine things as you please.
FAT32 - hda1 and all three files are in root folder

Bruce B wrote: How much RAM you have
The file partition scheme such as one hard disk with one FAT partition.
What is your current booting OS
Do you enough free space
64MB ram and 350MB swap partition

file partition - a lot of fat32 and linux partitions

I don't have current booting OS because I'm using boot manager and I can load whatever Windows or Linux I want

I have enough space, special ext2fs partition for Puppy with 980MB should be enough
Bruce B wrote: I'd recommend an option 1 to get started because it is easier, then you can do the option 2 if that is your preference, at which time you will need to do it raffy's way.
I've done option 2 but something is wrong, grubconfig isn't starting.
I've tried many options and it always does nothing, just don't start.
I've checked my Puppy's partition and no boot record is active, files seem to be copied OK but /boot/grub folder is empty. I did chroot to Puppy's partition and tried grubconfig but it does not work.

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

You've got half the minimum requirements for RAM - not good. Not to mention that Puppy expected you by design to have a CD-ROM drive.

The thing I think making it functional and doable is the Linux swap file.

Regading your attempt at using grub-config on the option 2 install. It never worked for me either, I don't read many complaints, so it must be working okay for most people.

Due to only having 64 MB RAM I recommed an option 2 install as your goal, which it appears to be.

If I've read your last post correctly, you've managed a type 2 install. The only problem is GRUB didn't get installed. If this is true, maybe you should start a new thread dealing only with the GRUB not installing.

If you cannot boot your option 2 install without grub let me know. I might have a temporary work around.

raffy

vmlinuz

#9 Post by raffy »

Option 2 copies vmlinuz first, so if
Puppy mounts my hard drive as home not hda1 then I can't copy from hda1
it is not being copied. The code replacement for "ripfromcd" in install-hd2.sh should be:

cp -f /mnt/home/vmlinuz /root/tmp
sync 
That is because i guessed that your vmlinuz is in "/mnt/home/vmlinuz". It could be in "/mnt/home/somefolder/vmlinuz".

Bruce B

#10 Post by Bruce B »

(option 2 trivia below)

I remember finding vmlinux in some odd location. Thinking to myself, "What is it doing there?" So I deleted it.

Another problem I had was when it tried to boot, it wouldn't because of a bad crc complaint. I checked /boot/vmlinux for byte size and it was correct.

So I copied over it manually from the CD and it booted fine.