215ce sfs problem

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
iscraigh

215ce sfs problem

#1 Post by iscraigh »

I remasterd a 215ce cd and added the miniweb sfs to the root of the cd.

I booted it on a machine with no hd puppy booted fine but the sfs file did not load....java does not work and not azaures. so I thought I would download it again and copy it to /mnt/home reboot and see.

I appear not to have a /mnt/home/ directory???

any thoughts, I open a terminal and type cd /mnt/home/

so such directory.

Craig

iscraigh

#2 Post by iscraigh »

Okay booted up a clean cd. No /mnt/home/ directory

would the correct place be /root/ ?

Should it not load from the root of the cd where the zdrv.sfs file is?

Craig

keilor

#3 Post by keilor »

When you shut down Puppy for the first time it asks you where to save your personal file (pup_save.2fs). The place where you save it becomes your /mnt/home directory. As your machine has no HD the only place to save it is a USB drive or a multi-session CD.

If you have not saved this file then maybe there is no /mnt/home. More experienced Puppy users will need to confirm this.

mysticmarks

possible issues

#4 Post by mysticmarks »

is the cd multisession? if it is,

did you run fixmenus from the console, and restart the window manager icewm from menu?

Yes, /mnt/home is the proper location for the sfs files. this is the location of the actual files that make up puppy. You would see other sfs files here as well as your pupsave file to confim you are using the right location.

mysticmarks

directory

#5 Post by mysticmarks »

Oh, you have mnt/home directory. you just need to click the home icon on the desktop, then click the up arrow a few times to go up to root. From there you will se mnt, in which you will find home. Puppy uses a very different method for loading its file structure, so thins are not quite always as they appear. :)

tmoore

Using OpenOffice sfs files

#6 Post by tmoore »

I am running 215CE (Love it, by the way!) Tried to install the OpenOffice sfs file. After downloading it, I changed the name to "OO0_215.sfs", moved it to /mnt/home, rebooted the computer, ran "fixmenus", and then after all that, still no Open Office. What am I doing wrong?

cb88

#7 Post by cb88 »

why did you rename the sfs? if it was built for a version of puppy pre-2.14 or even 2.15 then xdg menus may not be there or may not function properly. to start office type soffice in the console or use pfind to search for soffice then link it to the desktop(this will work even without menus).

cb88

get this sfs it is "better" than the original
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17338

Sit Heel Speak

#8 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Or, the .sfs may be corrupted (say, a truncated download). Check it against the md5sum as reported on the download page where you obtained it.

bostonvaulter

#9 Post by bostonvaulter »

I think you may also possibly need an 8.3 filename.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/BostonVaulter/avatar/puppybar.png[/img]

rerwin

#10 Post by rerwin »

Although I have never done a remaster, I had reason to look at how to use it, and have also looked into the SFS "game".
1. The inclusion of added sfs files during bootup works only if you are using a pup_save file. It will not work on full install or where personal data is saved in a partition. (I have identifed the latter as something that should be added to 2.16.) There is no /mnt/home file in those configurations.
2. Remastering can be expected to include the contents of any sfs file being used by the installation running the remaster.

Given the above, I suggest running from a frugal installation that has the sfs file(s) and a pup_save at /mnt/home, then running remaster. No need to add the sfs to the new CD, as it will already be part of the new puppy squashfile. When using the new CD, you will then have the options of making a full installation or saving to a partition instead of a pup_save file.

Richard