2.15 is slow and low ram

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
eculbert523

2.15 is slow and low ram

#1 Post by eculbert523 »

I have 256mb ram, but the 2.15 version tells me I only have 9.1 mb free after it loads! I burned a multisession cd. The machine is a gateway 850 p3 with 256mb ram. I ran memtest with knoppix and am using knoppix now live cd wise.

There are partitions on the hd and two hd's installed, each has a swap for a total of almost a gig of swap between the two. Knoppix finds both swap files fine and uses them.

Even the internet was 'boggy' with 2.15 unlike 2.11 that I had been using from a fixated cdrom.

????

Your whole cd is only 134 mb... ???? shouldn't cause the memory problems I experienced.

WhoDo

Re: 2.15 is slow and low ram

#2 Post by WhoDo »

eculbert523 wrote:I have 256mb ram, but the 2.15 version tells me I only have 9.1 mb free after it loads! I burned a multisession cd. The machine is a gateway 850 p3 with 256mb ram. I ran memtest with knoppix and am using knoppix now live cd wise.

There are partitions on the hd and two hd's installed, each has a swap for a total of almost a gig of swap between the two. Knoppix finds both swap files fine and uses them.

Even the internet was 'boggy' with 2.15 unlike 2.11 that I had been using from a fixated cdrom.

????

Your whole cd is only 134 mb... ???? shouldn't cause the memory problems I experienced.
Freememapplet reports the amount of free space in the pup_save.2fs, NOT free RAM, if you did a Frugal (Coexist) install.

Use the Menu>Utility>Resize personal storage file utility to increase the size your pup_save.2fs storage file. It will require a reboot to take effect. Your system should then fly.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

happyhippo

#3 Post by happyhippo »

i have in latest rudy pup the same problem.
the mem is blinking red with 'none' in it

and using the resize personal file gives me a there is no file.
(its on a hd partition of 6 Gig)

willhunt

#4 Post by willhunt »

I don't know whats up with the red flashy button
but I had the same problem when I installed to
HD or CF ect as this util point's to pup_save.?fs if
you do hd install just disable it as it no longer
needed in HD install if you need to monitor disk
space use df instead. 2.15 really killed my speed
also till I installed the rox update now it flies again 8)