Can't boot Puppy any way at all

Booting, installing, newbie
Scott

Can't boot Puppy any way at all

#1 Post by Scott »

Have downloaded and burt as an image file to cd, I no have the following files on cd
boot.msg (type Security Catalog in Properties)
boot.cat (Type outlookfile? in properties)
goofy.16
Image.gz
isolinux.bin
isolinux.cfg
usr_cram.fs
vmlinuz

I am running windows 98 second edition, I am not very good with computors but try to get better, tried to use raw write to get boot2pup file on floopy with no sucsess (though not sure on how to type the comand line anyway)

Also tried to boot from CD with no sucsess went into bios and selected cd rom drive but it just shoots to win 98, also copied all files over to USB drive and tried to boot from that with no sucsess.
I am sure i am doing a simple mistake somewhere any help from you pro's would be helpful, as I have been told by a few people that i may be better off learing linux first and last
regards
Scott

Rich

#2 Post by Rich »

It's a bit tricky to learn Linux if your PC won't boot it in the first place.

My first though is that the CD isn't burned properly, and subsequently not bootable. If you've set the Bios to boot from CD first and it's going straight into windows then it presumably can't find a bootable image on the CD.

Try booting from the CD with a Windows disk ( or known bootable disk ) to make sure that the drive is being accessed and will boot.

I'm presuming you verified the Puppy file before you burned it to the CD. What speed did you burn the ISO at? the Slower the better with this step. Most modern CD burners won't let you burn at anything less than 4x ( well. Nero wouldn't for me ! ).

If the CD drive will boot another disk, and you've verified the downloaded image, burn another one at the slowest speed you can achieve on your system. It'll still only take a minute, as Puppy is soooooo small !

Shout up if you still have problems.

danleff

#3 Post by danleff »

...and if you want some boring reading on the subject, see my article located here.

Or, on the wiki page here.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

I think there are simple solutions meaning to say, "work arounds". I propose one to get Puppy running. Boot Windows and copy these files from CD to C:\

vmlinux
usr_cram.fs
image.gz

If you want to do this, let me know when you have done it and I'll upload a simple boot routine for you to copy to C:\ and you can run it that way.

----------

If this doesn't sound good to you, then we will find another workaround.