2.14 playing DVD: Gxine freezes, repeats sound

Booting, installing, newbie
dalderton

2.14 playing DVD: Gxine freezes, repeats sound

#1 Post by dalderton »

Newly installed Puppy 1.14 xine playing dvd soon after the movement starts the picture freezes and it seems as though the first sound is repeated until the xserver is stopped and restarted.When the picture freezes, the program must be killed to do anything else.
The same computer and DVD operate perfectly on other Linux Distributions but not on Puppy.The computer has AMD athlon 2200 CPU and the motherboard is ECS KM400-M2 with I think onboard sound and video.In the setup it recognises the sound and video but the above continues to happen.I have tried XORG andXVESA and no difference.
Other than pathetic printing performance and the above this is a terrific distribution.I hope someone has a cure.Regards Dennis

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

If you're really using 1.14 then the obvious thing is to try a later version. If you meant 2.14, then I don't know what to say. :(
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

dalderton

#3 Post by dalderton »

Rather a blunt reply? Sorry yes it is 2.14. Regards Dennis

ezeze5000

re-gxine

#4 Post by ezeze5000 »

A lot of people are having problems with gxine.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=17455
If at first you don't succeed try try again!

dalderton

#5 Post by dalderton »

Thanks for the info mate,at least I know that I am not alone.Mine just freezes the picture after about 15 sec and the first second or so of the music repeats until restart the X server.Ah well,nothing is perfect.
Regards Dennis

Bruce B

#6 Post by Bruce B »

Dennis,

If I may, I'll troubleshoot from an entirely different perspective than usual.

I haven't had many gxine complaints, although I've had some.

First thing I did was copy lots and lots of codecs from another distro to /usr/lib/win32

I discovered that no video would play properly unless I ran gxine in full-screen mode - in which case they would play right.

Later I read that you need to be using Xvesa and not Xorg as your graphics display program for gxine to work right.

I've not tried it with Xvesa, but things are working well enough to keep me off the complaint list, which seems to come up with fair regularity.

Hoping this helps.

Any questions - keep asking.

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

dalderton wrote:Rather a blunt reply? Sorry yes it is 2.14. Regards Dennis
Flash ain't all that bad. If you have problems with him, don't complain to the moderator, because he is :)

dalderton

#8 Post by dalderton »

I was'nt complaining,just making a comment,probably ill advised but it was my immediate reaction.Sorry if it caused offence.
Regards Dennis

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Flash »

No offense taken. I didn't mean to seem short. I just didn't know any more that might help, and my time is limited. :)

dalderton

#10 Post by dalderton »

Thats OK. I tried it with Xorg and Xvesa and full screen and today I installed 2.15 and it does the same thing.Maybe there is something odd in the hardware although I have used Xine in other distributions on this computer with no problems .I guess it is like building propellers,you can have 2 exactly the same and they work differently.A black art!!!
Regards Dennis