2.15CE multisession DVD not updating

Booting, installing, newbie
acaza

2.15CE multisession DVD not updating

#1 Post by acaza »

i couldn't find anything like this, so i'm posting my problem here. i'm doing something wrong, but i don't know what.

i'm running 2,15CE multisession DVD and everything is great, except that it's not loading the new files. for example, when i shutdown just now, i saved the session. it burned successfully. when i booted again, it said that it was loading the session for Apr 25, as well as all the previous ones. when i mount the DVD and look at it, the Apr 25 session is there, just as it should be..

but when i go to /root/my-documents, my files are the ones from the earliest session on the DVD. i would need to manually copy all the new stuff from the DVD to /root to have access to it. also, this only seems to apply to my files. the new bookmark i saved in sea monkey is there. it's just my documents that aren't loading the latest version.

that's not supposed to be like that, is it? it's a newish machine, and i have RAM to spare, so i don't think it's a space issue. any ideas?

thanks

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

When you shut down, I think everything should be saved except what's in /tmp. When you reboot, everything that was saved should be restored, except what was saved in /archive. I've been using 2.15CE on a multisession DVD for a while. At the moment I'm in 2.16alpha. I can't remember if I saved anything in my-documents in 2.15CE but I think I would have noticed if I had saved something and it wasn't restored.
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69321][color=blue]Puppy Help 101 - an interactive tutorial for Lupu 5.25[/color][/url]

acaza

#3 Post by acaza »

more info: the DVD seems to be rather quirky.

i have 7 sessions in total saved on the DVD

the software related stuff seems fine. Puppy loads all the programs installed and modified from the latest session.

on session #4 (i.e., 4th oldest of the 7), i have /root/tmp/ and all its contents saved on the DVD. (i thought that wasn't supposed to happen?) and it's JUST that session. the /root/tmp folder is not saved on the older or newer sessions

the files in /root/my-documents seem to be treated as if they were in /archive. they burn just fine to DVD when i save, but they aren't being loaded next time.

have i inadvertently triggered some sort of switch that makes my personal file space into an archive folder?

acaza

#4 Post by acaza »

For the record, I never did get this figured out. My multisession DVD was somehow fixated on the fourth session. I could get files from newer sessions to appear if I put them in directories that didn't exist in that fourth session, but anything in directories that were part of session 4 were overwritten by the session 4 data. this also applied to deleting. if i deleted a file or directory in session 8, it would reappear on reboot, just as it was in session four.

This does not appear to be happening with 2.14, so I've switched. The icons and such were cool, and I really miss the "minimize all" button, but 2.14 doesn't seem to have this bug that 2.15CE did.
aspiring hacker trapped in the mind of a linux noob, using Puppy 2.14 multisesson DVD on Dell XPS M1210