Howto: make a bootable USB drive Puppy from Windows

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
gbatt

Does this method save your settings?

#16 Post by gbatt »

I was wondering if the method described here, or anywhere in these forums and on this site, are a USB installation method that allows you to save any changes (installations, configurations etc.) to the USB drive when you shut down?

I am fairly new to linux and so far I have only used Ubuntu on a laptop and FaunOS on my USB drive. FaunOs saves any changes automatically at shutdown but it doesnt look like that particular distro will be geting any further support. So I am looking into new distros to use on USB flash drives, and Puppy looks awesome, but I need to be able to save changes. Thanks!

erikkire

#17 Post by erikkire »

puppy linux is the one you are looking for. search the forum for a HOW TO on installing linux on a usb flash drive. puppy linux saves changes to your usb disk.

gbatt

#18 Post by gbatt »

Is that not what this thread is? I couldn't really find any other threads on installing Puppy to a USB flash drive, but this thread seems like all you're doing is creating a "Live" CD on a USB flash drive. Thats why I asked if it saves any changes, it doesn't seem like you're really installing Puppy to the flash drive, just copying the CD contents and making it bootable.

JackiesFridge

#19 Post by JackiesFridge »

That's what they call the "frugal" install, which is best for USB drives. Don't worry--it'll work just fine, and it will indeed save your configuration on shutdown.

sacsdu

#20 Post by sacsdu »

newbie314 wrote:I concur, UnetBootin is great.
Works like a dream for Puppy.
And then you can learn later to mod a Grub when you do an install
Yeah, that's right. UnetBootin works great. LiLi USB Creator also works nice. Only requirement is that you have to use fat32 filesystem.