2.15 boot failure: kernel panic - not syncing ...

Booting, installing, newbie
waggygee

2.15 boot failure: kernel panic - not syncing ...

#1 Post by waggygee »

My 2.15 boots up as it shud at first but i notice that it writes :
copying pup_215.sfs to tmpfs... mounting on (/initrd)/pup_ro2 FAILED

It countinues a little bit more and stops with a line written:
kernel panic - not syncing:attempted to kill innit

My comp reacts the same way with my brothers 2.13 (flash card and cd)

SpanishCastleMagic

2.15CE Live CD crashes on boot

#2 Post by SpanishCastleMagic »

waggygee wrote:My 2.15 boots up as it shud at first but i notice that it writes :
copying pup_215.sfs to tmpfs... mounting on (/initrd)/pup_ro2 FAILED

It countinues a little bit more and stops with a line written:
kernel panic - not syncing:attempted to kill innit

My comp reacts the same way with my brothers 2.13 (flash card and cd)
I am having the exact same problem, on a myriad of different computers. Here's what I did:
Downloaded puppy-215CE-Final.iso
Checked MD5 - it matches
Burned to 210 MB pocket CD-R (I got the same results after burning the ISO to a standard CD-R also)
Booted the new CD-R, all is well initially, then I get the following:

Created tmpfs for pup_215.sfs on (/initrd)/mnt/tmpfs...
Copying pup_215.sfs to tmpfs... mounting on (/initrd)/pup_ro2 failed
Dumping last lines of /tmp/bootinit.log...
USB-Storage: Device scan complete, found 0 devices
mount: /dev/hdc is write protected, mounting read only (device name varies with machine)
reading '/mnt/dev_ro1/pup_215.sfs': Input/output error
mount: Mounting /dev/loop0 on /pup_ro2 failed: invalid argument
Dumping last lines of kernel log...
attempt to access beyond end of device
loop0: rw0, want=228720, limit=102112
SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed reading block 0x1beb7
SQUASHFS error: unable to read uid/gid table
pausing for 60 seconds...

(60 second wait here. Incidentally, this also happens with my working Puppy 2.14 installed on a thumb drive. Why does it feel the need to wait 60 seconds?)
Getting back to my 2.15CE live CD's spectatular crash,

Mounting tmpfs on (/initrd)pup_rw... done
Creating unionfs on (/initrd)/pup_rw (to become '/')... done
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

This has happened while booting the 2.15CE live CD on every computer I own, including:
An Athlon 2000+ with the Via KM400 chipset, 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 9250 video, and a single 250GB IDE drive with FreeBSD loaded
A Sempron 3000+ with 1GB RAM, nVidia Nforce3 chipset, 1TB SATA and 300GB IDE, GeForce 7600 series video, running openSuse 10.2
A P4-2.7 GHz, Via chipset, 1 GB RAM, 600 GB of IDE space, ATI Radeon 9800 video running WinDoze XP
Toshiba Satellite P25-S520 laptop (P4 3 GHz with 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, GeForce FX video) dual-booting XP and Kubuntu Feisty Fawn

What gives? Is there an option I'm missing (I tried booting the live CD with 'puppy pfix=ram' and got the same results)? Do the planets need to align in a certain way? Is the climate here in San Antonio that unhealthy for puppies raised Down Under? Perplexing to say the least.

SCM

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

There might be an option. I'll try and do some testing on my own.

I've got a list of my own failsafe kernel parameters I use generically when needed. You're welcome to try them and see if it helps.

It would go something like this, if it works at all.

puppy pfix=ram vga=normal apm=off acpi=off noapic ide=nodma

There are more parameters available if these don't work. Please post your results.

SpanishCastleMagic

#4 Post by SpanishCastleMagic »

Bruce B wrote:There might be an option. I'll try and do some testing on my own.

I've got a list of my own failsafe kernel parameters I use generically when needed. You're welcome to try them and see if it helps.

It would go something like this, if it works at all.

puppy pfix=ram vga=normal apm=off acpi=off noapic ide=nodma

There are more parameters available if these don't work. Please post your results.
[ahem...] Operator error, in my case! After tearing out 15 of my scalp's approximately 30 hairs over the past two hours, I reburned the darned ISO using slower, more fail-safe settings on K3B and now the live CD works like a champ - no option needed even. Possibly there was a corruption in the big pup_215.sfs file on the first two discs I burned, or maybe just a ghost in the machine :?

Thanks for your suggestions though, Bruce B - those startup options may come in handy if I boot the disc on some funky hardware in the future.

SCM

Bruce B

#5 Post by Bruce B »

It's good to hear the success report. Very good. Thank you.

You and waggygee have (had) such a similar problem, I hope he tries the same thing and reports back.

waggygee

#6 Post by waggygee »

........ no change..... Its still doing the same thing

firepants-jr

kernel panic - not syncing

#7 Post by firepants-jr »

Wanted to install the GCC compiler. Downloaded the devx*.sfs file, moved it to the "/" directory (location of pup_421.sfs). Selected "mount and install" from r-click menu. It failed but didn't pay attention to the message. :oops:

Followed directions to reboot and received the following error (see attached). The system has stopped and responds to nothing but a reboot. WTF? I'm completely stumped.

BTW, this is a 4.2.1 Frugal install.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

Boot puppy CD/DVD into RAM, (by entering puppy pfix=ram in first few secs), then, on whatever unmounted partition your frugal is on, run:

Code: Select all

e2fsck -p /dev/sdaX
replacing X with correct partition number.

firepants-jr

Problem fixed

#9 Post by firepants-jr »

muggins wrote:Boot puppy CD/DVD into RAM, (by entering puppy pfix=ram in first few secs), then, on whatever unmounted partition your frugal is on, run:

Code: Select all

e2fsck -p /dev/sdaX
replacing X with correct partition number.
Back up and running. Thanks. I think I overwrote my original save file, though. :oops:

System boots into the backup *.2fs file that I saved when I was trying to recover. I searched for another version with no luck. I can't find my downloaded files, either. Did I boot into a different instance or something?