Posted: Sat 28 Apr 2007, 21:59 Post subject:
Dell + ipw2100 wireless works (v.2.15CE) Subject description: wifi eth1 operates
Hardware: Dell Latitude D600 (about 5 years old)
Machine has installed 802.3 ethernet and 802.11 wifi NICs
wifi interface is IPW2100
Through several editions of Puppy, the wired ethernet has worked reliably. But WiFi did not and I was never able to troubleshoot it until now.
There is one part where you have to hold mouth right ... everything else is straightforward:
- a check of dmesg shows that the 2200 driver is loaded, not the needed 2100 one. This has shown up on forum elsewhere.
- the setup panel for wifi allows loading the correct driver and the correct driver is in the default (on CD) list.
- the test button shows that my neighbor's AP is indeed up.
- he's running it default (no WEP, SSID is advertised). It promptly issued an IP address when I mashed the DHCP button.
Other probably irrelevant data:
- puppy 2.15 installed to USB stick
- boots from USB stick; hard drive controller failed on this machine a couple years ago. CD still works though.
- all other puppy goodies (video, rodent, etc, come up reliably -- the default configs in puppy are well-tuned to this box.
- has broadcom ethernet controller which has long been supported in puppy. _________________ Rex Buddenberg
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You can download files in this forum