Questions: best browser, distro, application?

Promote Puppy !
Lobster
Official Crustacean

Questions: best browser, distro, application?

#1 Post by Lobster »

Which is your fav browser?
Would it be this one if it was available for Linux?
http://johnhaller.com/jh/mozilla/portable_firefox/

What Linux distros can Puppy learn from?
For example I love the look of Symphony Linux
http://www.symphonyos.com/screenshots.html
but I am not gonna download no Alpha software - no Sir!

One of the reasons I am involved with Puppy is a secure way of developing ASQ (a wiki based programming extravaganza).

What is your main Puppy usage?
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

papaschtroumpf

#2 Post by papaschtroumpf »

Look and feel is such a personal thing, and hardly a reason to chosoe a distro over another, although puppy users are doing a good job at providing themes and whatnot.

Puppy can learn from knoppix and Mepis in that their live CD works on just about every hardware I've thrown at them (which is not true of most other live CDs, including knoppix offshoots like FeatherLinux).

I am trying to use puppy as a "computer on the go" on a USB key: I want to be able to use it wherever I go and be up and running quickly and be able to do some of the things I want to do on the road (multimedia, file sharing, web browsing, word processing, games...)

Since I don't know what computer I'm going to try and use puppy on next, support for a variety of hardware, including wireless cards, is well worth its weight in megabytes.

One strength of puppy is that it's easy to create your own customized disk, so this is something that should never go away and always be improved.

EDIT: I'm a firefox boy! I has all the features rarsa lists for Opera, it's free and you can load it up with all kind of extensions to have the tools you need at your fingertips. Opera is second best in my opinion, and I also had compatibility problems wher it wouldn't open pages other browsers would.
Last edited by papaschtroumpf on Thu 30 Jun 2005, 07:52, edited 1 time in total.
Mandriva LE 2005 user and puppy newbie

rarsa

#3 Post by rarsa »

Favorite Browser Opera

It is my favorite and here is why
- It is a 3 MB download!
- Is faster than all the other browsers I've tried
- Tabbed browsing is way better than in Mozilla:
- When you re-open Opera you can have the same tabs as when you closed last time. (Maybe my favorite feature)
- You can save sessions (a collection of tabs) that you can open all at once.
- You can set it to open links in tabs in the foreground or background.
- You can clone tabs so its easy to navigate backwards without loosing the current page.
- It is very easy to change the skin. There are literally hundreds of skins.
- Mouse Gestures are very convenient.
- It scales the whole page, not just the text like Mozilla.
- The left hand panels are colapsible very convenient, unobtrusive but always available.
- If you set the advertising preferences (advanced tab) to "show relevant text adds...", You won't even notice the adds
- Popup blocking really works
- It has the mail, news reader, and irc chat included.
- It works 99% the same in Windows and Linux (in Widows you can have opera read the pages aloud)
- It is highly configurable.

Other distro lessons
I find puppy to be the best in it's leage. I find other small distros always lacking everyday applications or functionality. I may update this post if I ever find something I like in other distro that fits the Puppy philosophy

Walt H

#4 Post by Walt H »

I agree with rarsa about Opera. It has been my browser of choice since version 3.5, which came out in 1998 or '99, I think. Rarsa says it better than I can, but I detail my reasons the Puppy is 2 poll elsewhere in this forum.

As far as favorite distribution goes, I don't have a clear favorite at the moment, although Puppy has edged into the lead because of its inclusion of AbiWord and Scribus in its 60megs of brilliance. My favorite was Feather Linux. In fact, Feather 0.5.9 is still loaded on my old laptop's hard drive. But since development has stopped, I'm moving on.

One area in which Puppy already surpasses Feather for me is the inclusion of Scribus. I could never install it without installing a bunch of other stuff and deleting a bunch of other stuff I didn't want to lose. Thanks for that, and I'm quickly becoming addicted to Gemgame. I may need a 12-step program soon :)
Walt

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.

mjg

#5 Post by mjg »

1) I'm hooked on Firefox. I've tried Opera, Mozilla, IE clones and Kmeleon, but keep coming back to Firefox. I like Opera, but can't handle the text ads and I won't pay for a browser on principle.

2) There's no doubt in my mind that Puppy is the best small distro. Anything more than 60MB basically rules out an overnight dial-up download.

I prefer mainstream distros to fit on a single CD. Mepis is the best for me in terms of functionality. It has useful software, easy apt-get install for extras and most hardware simply works.

I've tried to like Fedora 4, but it has less software on a DVD than Mepis on a CD. That said, Fox Linux (based on Fedora) shows promise and has a slick look and feel.

Symphony looks promising, as Lobster indicated, but I'm with him and won't try an Alpha. Fox is a beta and works fine, except OpenOffice is in Italian!

PS: I'm a user and not a developer.

klhrevolutionist

Project management tool for Puppy?

#6 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I put this here cause I could'nt find anything related and I did'nt want to
create a new topic, someone was asking for a project management
tool, if anybody knows who that was tell them to check this out

http://www.paladin.demon.co.uk/tag-types/taglog/

like I said I can't remember who was asking so if you know please tell that person
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

doopdoop

#7 Post by doopdoop »

Symphony looks like a really interesting thing ... will have a look at it.

On Ubuntu, I mainly use Konqueror. It is fast, displays almost everything the way it should be (including movies, flash, java) and integrates perfectly with the rest of the KDE suite.. And handy features like typing "gg: puppy linux" in the location bar and getting the google results are easy to get addicted to.

BarryK
Puppy Master

POS (Point Of Sale) LAN application - for Puppy?

#8 Post by BarryK »

klhrevolutionist,
Thanks very much, taglog looks great -- another tcl/tk app!

Yesterday I discovered another tcl/tk app called tkkasse, a POS application (Point Of Sale).
This looks really fantastic, works on a LAN, so you can have one database server and any number of clients -- thin PCs would be ideal.
-- and of course Puppy would be ideal for this.

Where is tkkasse? it's on sourceforge, so I guess http://tkkasse.sourceforge.net/

klhrevolutionist

I'm not sure

#9 Post by klhrevolutionist »

If I understood the topic, but my favorite browser being Mozilla, and distro being puppy! Now with that being said, Mozilla is changing to Seamonkey, and it looks and acts like firefox, !blah!
Now if someone were to remove Mozilla and OpenOffice and it's components in puppy
and add qt, kde-libs, kde-base, and Koffice the weight would not be that much of a difference reason I bring this up, Mozilla is turning into firefox, sh! don't let the vast majority know!
and Konqueror is in my eyes the next best alternative,

And a distro we, could learn from, BeOS, keeps everything in it's own directory!

what are your thoughts and reactions to my posting???
please don't hesitate

also visit : http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/KlhRevolutionist
Last edited by klhrevolutionist on Mon 01 Aug 2005, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

EarlSmith

#10 Post by EarlSmith »

Thank you klhrevolutionist, It was me looking for Project management software. I Will check it out and try to install in Puppy 1.0.4. I think it will be exactly what I need.

keenerd

#11 Post by keenerd »

I really like the latest Dillo dotpup (85). Tabs are required, and the lack of javascript makes it very safe. The tiny memory footprint has to be the best part.

I still use the original Dillo all the time because it has CSS. For whatever reason, Dillo85 doesn't support style sheets.

thoughtjourney

#12 Post by thoughtjourney »

I absolutely love Opera, with the best feature being the fullscreen option (can't see the ads!, beautiful use of space), the tabbed browsing, and the fact that i can quickly and easily use the keyboard for everything. The integrated mail client is tops, too.

I must say that I am becoming very fond of JWM: nice and light, very customisable. I now have 10 themes, some of which are pretty funky.

oh no, husband is waking up... gotta get back to my studies. BTW, it goes without saying that Puppy is my favourite distro.
in the beginning was the Logos

http://thoughtjourney.aus.cc

seldomseen

#13 Post by seldomseen »

Even back in my days of using W***ows, I was a Mozilla user. Then when they came up with the old Phoenix (or was it Firebird?) I started using that, and liked it a lot better than IE. Of course, anything works better than IE. Yeah, definite Firefox kind of guy. Sometimes I'll use Mozilla, but for real fast Google searches I'll run with Dillo.

I have Opera on my hard drive, but I'm not real wild about it.

Favorite distro? My workhorse is Kanotix installed, which is basically Debian Sid. I use the Puppy a lot, though, especially when using someone else's computer or my backup box (which is all Puppy).

My first Puppy was 0.9.1, which at the time I considered an experimental distro, a nice toy. I'm impressed with how Puppy has evolved since then; now it's to the point where it has enough guts to be a workhorse.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#14 Post by GuestToo »

i compiled dillo85 patched with the default config options, except i enabled meta-refresh

it doesn't seem to have any config options to disable or enable css support ... the source does have references to css

in any case, dillo definitely does not have FULL css support

EarlSmith

#15 Post by EarlSmith »

Dillo, Puppy, Openoffice
Dillo - fast
Puppy - fast, boots in no time,
OpenOffice - pretty fast
Finding more to like about Tcl/Tm everyday!

puppian

#16 Post by puppian »

Dillo (0.8.5 patched) -Very fast!

Puppy -The only distro I use.
I first meet linux when I was trying to search for a multimedia distro like GeeXbox. But I couldn't get it work and I finally found Puppy :) Maybe someone will make a minimal multimedia Puppy someday? I will be a very happy puppy by the time :D

Mplayer - I assigned hotkey for it with icewm and it's great working in the console.

tim

#17 Post by tim »

Mozilla is my favourite browser, then Firefox, not keen on Opera, although I havn't taken any real time to try it out properly. Textmaker is great - does everything and more for me, RipperX is great and I like the whole Puppy package, it runs very fast on old pc's yet has uptodate software.
I can listen to music, run slide shows with pictures from the digital camera, produce the odd document, net/email - what more do you need?
Still using Mandriva/SuSe............. though not sure why any more?
Started buying tins of dog food ........
Tim

BarryK
Puppy Master

#18 Post by BarryK »

tim wrote: Started buying tins of dog food ........
I've sometimes wondered about that. It's real cheap, but says on the packet "not fit for human consumption" ...but they still give it to dogs, so I reckon it must be reasonably edible. Those doggy biscuits look good.

rarsa

#19 Post by rarsa »

Barry,

If you live in the outback then 'not fit for...' may not apply.

Dog food is done with the parts of the animals that city humans don't like: Tripe, snout, ears, but that in some cultures is perfectly fine and sometimes a delicacy.

Although you risk having your breath smelling like puppy breath.

Bancobusto

#20 Post by Bancobusto »

I advise staying away from the non premium cans...

Breath is one thing, it's the di-a-ri-a that's what's been making me stick with rice all these years :D

Techni-Cal is a good choice....

Alpo=disaster

edit; I use Firefox mostly, but am slowly leaning towards Mozilla for some reason.... maybe because there are so many goodies that come with it