Copying directories to USB via ROX

Please post any bugs you have found
andrew_in_uk

#1 Post by andrew_in_uk »

Dear all;

This is my 1st post, & I'm very largely a Linux newbie, so I hope the following is ok.

I'm generally very impressed, and enjoying using Puppy (1.0.4 plain & Chubby). Chubby allows OOo on an elderly Dell desktop (133 MHz 64 meg) at a workable speed.

I have been getting an odd result when I have copied directories to USB storage using Rox. I have had this using both a flash memory key and a HD in an external enclosure. I only have USB 1.1 connections. Symptoms are:-

1) it seems to add many extra directories to the storage device, which have "gibberish" names. I think these names are strings from text in the files it is copying.

These are in addition, as far as I can tell, to the real directory contents, which I think are ok.

2) Rox shows disk usage of the copied directory as impossibly large (e.g. 760 Gb; the original was only a few 10s of Mbs, and the whole HD capacity is 6.4 Gb)

3) Most annoyingly, it will not allow any amendment or deletion of the copied files. Rox declares the whole filesystem on the device to be read only, although of course it was written to only a few moments earlier.

I got the key drive back into commission by reformatting from Windows to one of the FATs (yes, I must learn how to do this in Linux). I have yet to get the HD back.

Has anyone else seen this? Is it a "feature" of Rox/USB combination, perhaps?

Is there a way to get around (3) without reformatting the storage device?

Thanks,

A

mike

Re: Copying directories to USB via ROX

#2 Post by mike »

1) it seems to add many extra directories to the storage device, which have "gibberish" names. I think these names are strings from text in the files it is copying.
firstly, welcome to the kennels.

unfortunately this is the only part of your post that i may be able to help you with.

i have found that mounting partitions that are not listed in the /etc/fstab file will result in this on my machine as well. not when using the pup-mounter, but by manually typing in the mount commands.

once listed in fstab, this propb seems to go away

is your USB devive listed in fstab? i hope this is of some interest/help, and wish that I had some ideas about the remaining answers that you seek.

good luck 8) [/quote]

andrew_in_uk

#3 Post by andrew_in_uk »

Mike;

thanks, this seems to be spot on.

USB device was not listed in etc/fstab. I've added it manually (using the device names & mount points listed by MUT). It now seems to work properly, with none of the 3 problems I had before.

I've only been able to test this with the key drive so far, but I assume no reason why the HD should be different.

So thanks again for the speedy & helpful response;

should I write this up more formally elswhere, in case someone else has this problem?

best regards,

Andrew

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#4 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D