DotPups

Stuff that has yet to be sorted into a category.
GuestToo
Puppy Master

#16 Post by GuestToo »

it works ok on my machine

the xmms files are installed in my-applications

they are linked to /opt (so xmms can find the plugins and library files)

you must run xmms from the icon in my-roxapps, or from my-applications/bin ... because it makes a symlink in /opt

it will not work to run the files in my-applications/xmms

do you have the dir /opt? ... if it is not there, it will not work
there should be a symiink to xmms in /opt, like in this picture:

http://tinypic.com/52bepk

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#17 Post by GuestToo »

Baset Tetris 0.41

http://fph.altervista.org/prog/bastet.shtml

installs in my-roxapps
delete the icon to uninstall

mouldy

#18 Post by mouldy »

Mathiasdm wrote:Wooh! Go, GNUChess! :-) That package is definitely going on my remastering (well, once it has a graphical interface, anyway).
You need Xboard. Once you install Xboard and get it working, set up script per Xboard instructions for GNU Chess 5:

By default, XBoard still tries to use GNU Chess 4 by running the command "gnuchessx". That's why if you don't have GNU Chess 4, you get the error message "Failed to start first chess program gnuchessx on localhost: gnuchessx: No such file or directory."

If you have GNU Chess 5, the command should be "gnuchess xboard" instead. To make XBoard use this command, give the -fcp parameter like this:

xboard -fd gnuchess_directory -fcp "./gnuchess xboard"

Here gnuchess_directory is the directory where you installed GNU Chess 5 and its book. You can add more xboard options at the end of the command line.

See Astrumi thread under MISC forum. I couldnt get the Xboard I copied from Astrumi to work, but Mepis 2004 had it and must have been newer version. Anyway it worked fine just copying the files. Mepis didnt have Gnuchess and was going to get it off Austrumi but saw GuestToo's pupfile so used it. Had script to run Xboard so just modified it per above instructions and now Gnuchess 5.07 works with Xboard. Beaware that Xboard has a LOT!!!! of options so can make it do just about anything if you do research to find them, just add them to the script.

Here is my script (make changes according to where you put Xboard files/directories):

#! /bin/sh
cd /usr/lib/games/xboard
./xboard.real -fd /root/my-applications/bin -fcp "./gnuchess xboard.real"
exit

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#19 Post by GuestToo »

Alienx, you made a giftui dotpup ... it is here:

http://www.goosee.com/puppy/wikka/DotPupsContributions

i can make an Xmule dotpup
Xmule is about 5 megs and needs a 5 meg library file, so the dotpup would download and install the binaries
i forgot where i got the binaries ... hopefully i wrote it down somewhere

bash works ok on my Puppy (i'm running it now) ... i have a line in rc.local that copies it from /root to /bin/sh ... i compiled 3 versions, 2.05b, 2.05b with a appdir patch (bash finds and executes a rox-app-dir as if it is an executable file), and 3.0

the really really nice thing about bash is it's history

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#20 Post by GuestToo »

somebody suggested a chess program, and gnuchess is small and easy to install, so i made a dotpup

xboard is larger and a bit harder to set up

i think xboard binary packages i was looking at were about 1.5 megs

Alienx

#21 Post by Alienx »

GuestToo wrote:Alienx, you made a giftui dotpup ...
it was a prototype, I think you could do a more interesting one :wink:

GuestToo wrote:
bash works ok on my Puppy (i'm running it now) ... i have a line in rc.local that copies it from /root to /bin/sh ... i compiled 3 versions, 2.05b, 2.05b with a appdir patch (bash finds and executes a rox-app-dir as if it is an executable file), and 3.0

the really really nice thing about bash is it's history
anxiously awaiting :D
Sorry, broken english above :-)

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#22 Post by JohnMurga »

I thought xboard had to be used as an interface to gnuchess, so gnuchess is needed anyway...

And on the subject ... http://eboard.sourceforge.net/index.html seems to be nicer than xboard.

Cheers
JohnM

mouldy

#23 Post by mouldy »

JohnMurga wrote:I thought xboard had to be used as an interface to gnuchess, so gnuchess is needed anyway...

And on the subject ... http://eboard.sourceforge.net/index.html seems to be nicer than xboard.

Cheers
JohnM
No, you can run xboard and gnuchess separately. Without chess engine, xboard is just animated chessboard that can disallow illegal moves, set timers, etc, but cant play chess. One could use it to try out moves, etc or play game with another human. GnuChess run alone is a commandline chess program that will give moves in chess notation. You have to be able to translate the notation however and tell it the move you made in same notation. If using combination, Xboard starts GnuChess (or one of other available engines) and interprets allowing you to play against GnuChess (or other engines) in gui mode.

Xboard is old and long in the tooth. Not very attractive board/pieces and apparently difficult to significantly upgrade or I'm sure somebody would have made it more attractive, but it still works. I just took quick look at Eboard, looks promising. Seems like developement is stalled on it though due to developer's lack of time. One of those things about open source freeware. More or less a hobby or school project (especially small projects by an individual). Not necessarily developed very fully or maintained though good and worthy ideas. Fact of life that activities generating income rank higher in priority for most of us. I am very happy that Barry seems to find time to develope Puppy and at breakneck speed compared to many such projects. I have to wonder if he ever gets any sleep.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#24 Post by GuestToo »

Eboard 0.9.0

this will download and install a 1.5 meg rpm package

installs in my-applications/eboard
installs an icon in my-roxapps
(drag to desktop, right click for Help, to uninstall, etc etc)

you can use this to play GnuChess (GnuChess must be installed seperately ... see:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=18&start=10

Not tested:
Eboard can to connect to other computers running Eboard
Eboard can connect to FICS servers to play chess online

Edit:

version 2 ... fixes a bug with sound configuration
version 3 ... works with newer busybox's md5sum
Last edited by GuestToo on Wed 15 Feb 2006, 12:55, edited 2 times in total.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#25 Post by JohnMurga »

Thanks !

GuestToo, you are a God :-)

Note the change in your status.

Cheers
JohnM

mouldy

#26 Post by mouldy »

Thanks to GuestToo, I went ahead and downloaded Eboard and tried it with GnuChess. Its the better mousetrap over Xboard. Much easier to configure without going and looking over long list of commandline options. Its good enough, I'm surprised it isnt just included with at least the bloat distributions. Yet I hadnt even heard of it until JM mentioned it.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#27 Post by GuestToo »

there's a small bug in my Eboard installer

Puppy's sound plays one thing at a time, and if something is using the sound system, like gxine or xmms or mplayer, it puts the sounds in a queue ... and plays them all later, when the sound system is free again

it used to work that way anyway

i tried a little script that doesn't play the chess sound if the sound was busy ... but i forgot about it ... so my config file is set to use a program called wavplay2 ... but i didn't include wavplay2 in my package ... so the sound doesn't work when you use my config file

easy to fix, but i should think about this, maybe try a few experiments

in the mean time, if you want the sound to work, you can right click the Eboard icon and select Set Default Configuration, and edit /root/.eboard/eboard.conf and change all the wavplay2's to wavplay ... or set up the sound yourself in Settings

mouldy

#28 Post by mouldy »

I didnt activate sound option so didnt even notice. Isnt sound in a chess game bit of gilding the lily. I mean I like sound with pinball and think it adds to the game, but chess? Thats kinda like adding sound to solitare. Or that silly windows program that makes every keystoke sound like it was made on a manual typewriter.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#29 Post by GuestToo »

i think the Eboard sound works ok now

to fix it you can download the same installer file ... eboard.pup ... and run it (you don't have to download the other 1.5 meg file ... just click eboard.pup and it's fixed)

it might be useful having a sound play when GnuChess makes a move so you know when it's time for your move

if you right click the Eboard icon and click Set Default Configuration, it will overwrite the config file with my config file, which has the sound enabled

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#30 Post by GuestToo »

Aumix 2.8

This puts an Aumix icon in my-roxapps
click the icon to run Aumix
drag the icon to the desktop if you want a shortcut
right click the icon to uninstall Aumix

If you are using Icewm, then Aumix should have a systray icon
click the systray icon to show Aumix, click to hide Aumix
also, you can change the volume by holding ctrl+alt and pressing * and / on the number keypad

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#31 Post by GuestToo »

Aterm 0.4.2

installs aterm in my-applications/bin
installs an Aterm icon in my-roxapps
- drag to desktop
- click to run
- right click to uninstall
- right click to change colours

Screenshot: http://tinypic.com/546jkg

[Edit: ver 0.0.2 ... fixes Home, End keys]
Last edited by GuestToo on Sat 04 Jun 2005, 21:35, edited 1 time in total.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#32 Post by GuestToo »

Downloader for Puppy Unleashed 1.0.2 - ver 0.0.2

edit: 24/08/2006 attachment deleted

[edit: new bug fix version]

this version also downloads and runs expandtarballs.sh

this puts a downloader program in my-documents
copy it to the dir you want to download Unleashed to
click it to download Unleashed

downloads all the files automatically
checks the md5sums so you are sure it downloaded ok

(actually, you would be sure that the files you download are identical to the files i have on my drive ... which may not be what Barry has on his drive ... an official md5sum file for the packages would be nice)

basically, just click the program to download Unleashed
Last edited by GuestToo on Thu 24 Aug 2006, 06:21, edited 5 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#33 Post by Lobster »

:)
Dotpups seem to appear in the last directory I saved to - as they are going to be deleted should they not appear and dissapear in my-roxapps by default?

Dotpups seem to be one of the most popular pup features and I am glad to see that they will be eventually integrated into Puppy and the Pupget installer.

I tried to install hbasic and gambas (no problem with xbasic) on my system and just know it should be a dotpup away . . .

The problem is Hbasic needs the troltech QT - so may not be suitable for Puppy?

My feeling is the Shell is a kind of Basic programming without a GUI front end
and [better stop before completely off topic]

:oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#34 Post by GuestToo »

most normal non-Crustaceans would probably download the dotpup file somewhere, maybe my-documents, and click it

after it's finished, they can delete it, where ever it is, or they might keep it to reinstall later ... or because clicking the dotpup again often uninstalls it

you can also Open With rox and run the dotpup directly from the internet, instead of downloading it (well, it gets downloaded to /tmp)

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#35 Post by GuestToo »

Top for Puppy 1.0.2

Busybox's top doesn't seem to work with the 2.6 kernel

this installs top in /usr/bin
(this package does not register with PupGet, so if you upgrade, the top should be automatically uninstalled)
it also installs a library file (libproc.so) in my-applications/lib