Burn Puppy ISO plus add'l files

Booting, installing, newbie
Yogi

Burn Puppy ISO plus add'l files

#1 Post by Yogi »

Hello everyone. This is my first post but I have been involved with Linux for approx six months and with Puppy for about three of those. I've tried numerous other live cd flavors of Linux but Puppy IMO is by far the best. Lean and mean is the way to go. Thanks to Barry for his labor of love and to all the other "Pupsters" who have nurtured its growth.

I use Puppy in its bootable CD format but would like to find a way to add add'l files to the remainder of the disk. Since Puppy only uses approx 50 -60 MB that leaves alot of empty space on the CD that I would like to put to use if I can. Perhaps some mp3 files or whatever. However, once I've burned the ISO there doesn't seem to be any way (I know of) to burn anything else. The burner program I use informs me that either the CD is "unwritable or full".
Does anyone know how to get around this limitation or of another way to accomplish what I want to do?

Thank you.

I mistakenly posted this in the "How To" folder. A thousand pardons.

mike

#2 Post by mike »

Maybe Puppy Unleashed? ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/puppylinux/

Search around the forum and the Wiki, I'm sure that it's possible to do what you want to do.

Yogi

#3 Post by Yogi »

Whatever add'l files I'd like to add I want to keep them separate from the ISO so they do not get loaded into RAM and exceed that capacity. By having these files available on the CD I wouldn't need any HD.

raffy

Option in the Burner software

#4 Post by raffy »

I've heard people say that you can check/un-check options about keeping the CD writable after burning the ISO. I guess this is about more advanced CD burning software.

danleff

#5 Post by danleff »

I just looked at Nero. I have a boot disk for SuSE 10, which Nero has burned to a session (62 mb) and shows that the rest is available.

The question is what burning software are you using?

Many have the option to finalize the disk, so that no addtitional files are written to the cd. If you tick the finalize tab or button, then the disk will be read as full, or unable to be written to further.

If you uncheck this option, then you should have a multisession disk.

Any other files that you write do not get loaded into ram, they are just resident on the disk, assuming that they are not part of Puppy.

I have never done this (written other data files to the disk), as I like to keep my bootable disks pure from other files.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#6 Post by GuestToo »

you can burn an iso as a multisession cd, which will allow you burn more sessions later

a bootable cd created by burning an iso file might, or might not, boot properly after you burn another session

the Puppy multisession iso was designed to be able to boot after other session

you could burn an iso as a multisession cd, use it to boot Puppy until a newer Puppy comes out, then use the cd to burn stuff like mp3's ... you don't care if it will boot anymore or not

i think the standard Puppy iso is supposed to be able to boot again if you burn more sessions to it

in any case, make sure you always burn multisessions and don't close the cd ... Burncdcc for example, always closes the cd

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

A little off the topic. Barry sells CDs for those who need or want one.

Presuming the CD is a 700 MB type, I think it would be neat if he offered a CD with selected dotups, the pupget files and older versions of Puppy.

Sort of like a full featured collectors edition. It would also be practical to the extent that we can install pubgets and dotpups from the CD disk source.

The CD would work the same as the one he offers now, except that it would have directories with additional software.