Can't boot Puppy from CD-RW

Booting, installing, newbie
lisak

Can't boot Puppy from CD-RW

#1 Post by lisak »

Hi everyone,

I downloaded the 60MB ISO file and use k3b (front end for cdrecord) to burn it to a CD-RW at 1X speed.

It burned successfuly, showing the following files on the CD-RW:

boot.cat
boot.msg
goofy.16
image.gz
isolinux.bin
isolinux.cfg
usr_cram.fs
vmlinuz

BUT, when I try to boot from the CD-RW I get this message after it begins to boot for about 5 seconds:

"boot: Could not find kernel image: linux"

And then it goes no further!!

Whats the problem please?

Thank you

lisa

raffy

checksum

#2 Post by raffy »

The ISO may have downloading error. It is usually checked against an md5 code also provided as a download. It is easy to find a "how to" for doing the check.

By the way, why not try a speed of about 4X, or is your CD drive too old?

Try the CD in another PC before you throw it away :)
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

danleff

#3 Post by danleff »

K3b should show you the md5sum when you click on the option to burn an image. It takes a few seconds and should display. Check this against the puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso.txt file, assuming that is the one that you downloaded.

You should see a8529f6ed13d64ec70fe2f2127774288 as the correct sum.

The other issue is burning the iso image on a fresh cdrw disk, or one that has been completely erased. Do not use the option "fast erase" if you are using a cdrw that had previous data on it.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

danleff

#4 Post by danleff »

danleff wrote:K3b should show you the md5sum when you click on the option to burn an image. It takes a few seconds and should display. Check this against the puppy-1.0.4-mozilla.iso.txt file, assuming that is the one that you downloaded.

You should see a8529f6ed13d64ec70fe2f2127774288 as the correct sum.

The other issue is burning the iso image on a fresh cdrw disk, or one that has been completely erased. Do not use the option "fast or quick erase" if you are using a cdrw that had previous data on it.
Oops! I meant to edit the last post "fast or quick erase". I can't remember which one k3b uses.
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith