Mapping applications via Required Toolkits (GTK, QT)

Using applications, configuring, problems
raffy

Mapping applications via Required Toolkits (GTK, QT)

#1 Post by raffy »

One would note happily that some applications, notably Skype and Opera, can be simply installed by decompressing the downloaded file then clicking on the executable. The common library of these programs is QT. I am using 2.02regression and I have no problem installing the most recent Skype and Opera versions.

What are your experiences or recommendations in this regard? I would guess that there is a minimum GTK-QT version mix for every version of an application?

Being aware of this category of applications would help users cross OS boundaries and ease them into using Linux, for example, by first having them use the application in Windows. It will also ease the pressure for upgrading the OS when your choice application can still be updated using older GTK-QT libraries.
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

YES... I'd love to have a "global picture" of app. grouping by required libraries.
A list for each of the common graphics libraries (QT, GTK+, etc.?) & their apps.
This would help greatly to clear the Linux fog of: base OS / dependancies=apps.

There's probably other structures I'm not aware of that'd lend themselves to this.
Such as lists for: Mplayer=codecs & other addons, & browsers & their addons.
All of this would have to be in one place (Wiki) for it to be really useful.

Gn2

#3 Post by Gn2 »

A list for each of the common graphics libraries
Isn't that what utilities such as ld ~ ldd ~ ltrace are for ?
Syscall, strace also has been mentioned many times -