Interesting Distrowatch 7-day ratings

Promote Puppy !
BarryK
Puppy Master

Interesting Distrowatch 7-day ratings

#1 Post by BarryK »

The picture says it all!
DSL is moving back up! Will Puppy break the top 10?!
Attachments
distrowatch7days20may07.gif
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 576 times

klhrevolutionist

#2 Post by klhrevolutionist »

About time ! It is a shame by default distrowatch shows the ranks for the last 6 months.. Kinda misleading as most people surf the web daily not every 6 months.
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

raffy

when puppy exploits network config

#3 Post by raffy »

Once Puppy gets the network booting simple to implement, things will be different, especially when combined with the capability to mount/unmount sfs on a portable storage (like USB).

We will need help to make this network orientation versatile and "hardened", for example, one Puppy machine does (1) internet connection sharing, and (2) dhcp while (3) serving files on tftp, and the rest of machines run as diskless clients.

How shall we call that, "NetPuppy"? Sunburnt has called his project "LanPuppy".

Many people are ready to pack these services together, among them Sunburnt...

Nathan F

#4 Post by Nathan F »

Another interesting bit at the top, PCLinuxOS has overtaken Ubuntu over the last seven days, is very close over the last 30 days, and still a solid second when you look three months out. I mention it mainly because PCLinuxOS is a largely one man effort and is really showing what a single individual can accomplish if he is driven and provides a quality product. This is also in spite of a major web space outage recently, and they haven't even release the final 2007 edition yet. I expect when Texstar does release the final they will solidly get that number one spot for a while.

Interestingly, I've never used PCLinuxOS. Also interesting, Texstar is also from Houston. But since I'm a transplant and laugh myself silly over prevailing Texas attitudes that doesn't mean much I guess.

Nathan
Bring on the locusts ...

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

The highest we have ever been (that I know of is 9 (7 day ratings) once. Originally Puppy seems to have been a way of introducing people to Linux, at some point it seemed to become the most usable distro. I regularly try others for ease of use.

Interestingly Puppy is for sale on Distrowatch - so that will keep us in peoples mind. PcLinuxOS is excellent. However when it breaks - what do you do? This really is the problem. I have a tendency to break an OS (I do strange things like visit weird sites, download software - you know - use the OS)

When Puppy breaks - I have very little to do, to set it up again. PClinuxOS requires a bit more.

I would also mention that 2.16 seems to be proving very stable and is therefore an excellent base for any puplets. :D

Also I would agree with the monolithic structure that Puppy uses. It works. It does as Nathan says require a team leader that is driven.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

Nathan F wrote:Also interesting, Texstar is also from Houston. But since I'm a transplant and laugh myself silly over prevailing Texas attitudes that doesn't mean much I guess.
Of even more interest, to me at least, is that one of Texstar's key developers - Ocilent1 - is an Aussie!

There is much to commend in the syncopy between Puppy and PCLinuxOS - similar philosophy, similar attitudes to newbies and refugees on the forum, etc. Only the issue of size sees us on the off beat in terms of our approach.

We have a number of PCLinuxOS users who are also Puppy users. It may be advantageous to both groups to one day share our experience in a cross-polination of ideas for future development.

Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

Leon

Re: Interesting Distrowatch 7-day ratings

#7 Post by Leon »

BarryK wrote:The picture says it all!
DSL is moving back up! Will Puppy break the top 10?!
It already is and it's still rising.

jonyo

#8 Post by jonyo »

WOW :shock: :shock: :D

Kudos to B & all :!: