Puppy cannot see my SCSI drives for a harddrive install

Booting, installing, newbie
puppypilgrim

Puppy cannot see my SCSI drives for a harddrive install

#1 Post by puppypilgrim »

Have been trying to install Puppy 1.02 (latest version) and upon bootup, Puppy cannot see the two SCSI drives yet is able to mount my Memorex 1 gig USB Flash stick as a SCSI device. The SCSI drives are 9 gig each would typically be /dev/hdc. dev/hda is an IDE cdrom.

I have 3 partitions on the 1st SCSI. hdc1 is formatted in DOS as a 16 bit FAT. hdc2 is a Linux partition set as ID 83. hdc3 is a Linux swap set as ID 82 (could have jumbled the numbers but that's what they are set at).

I was hoping Puppy would see the 7.5gig DOS partition so I could copy the relevant Puppy files to the root drive and\or use the install script to install to harddrive.

However, the only DOS partitions Puppy sees is sda1 which is the 1 gig USB flash drive.

Any ideas?

danleff

#2 Post by danleff »

A quick question. I don't have any scsi drives, but if you go into rxvt and type in probepart, do you see the partitions?
I love it when a plan comes together

--Hannibal Smith

BarryK
Puppy Master

#3 Post by BarryK »

Another thing to check,

# lsmod

...is the "sd-mod" driver loaded?
...i'm trying to remember, maybe you need the ide-scsi loaded also.

Jesse

#4 Post by Jesse »

Hi puppypilgrim,

A thing to note about Linux and scsi, Linux does a thing where disks on USB show up as a "scsi device", so that explains why your flash drive shows up.

Real scsi, like from an adaptec AHA**** PCI card, isn't likely to work with 1.0.2 as the kernel driver files for these devices have mostly been omitted because there are lots of them and they take up quite a bit of space.

Hey Barry is there any chance we could get some more scsi drivers into the next Puppy Linux? say some for sata and a few real scsi controller files?

Jesse

puppypilgrim

#5 Post by puppypilgrim »

danleff wrote:A quick question. I don't have any scsi drives, but if you go into rxvt and type in probepart, do you see the partitions?
Puppy only sees HDA which is the IDE cdrom and SDA which is the USB flash drive. A poster below has explained that Puppy does not include drivers for SCSI harddrives to save space.

Thanks.

puppypilgrim

#6 Post by puppypilgrim »

Jesse wrote:Hi puppypilgrim,

Real scsi, like from an adaptec AHA**** PCI card, isn't likely to work with 1.0.2 as the kernel driver files for these devices have mostly been omitted because there are lots of them and they take up quite a bit of space.

Hey Barry is there any chance we could get some more scsi drivers into the next Puppy Linux? say some for sata and a few real scsi controller files?

Jesse
Thanks Jesse. My motherboard has true SCSI AHA*** so that is why Puppy doesn't see it.

I also tried a Western Digital 100G SATA and connected it to the old standard IDE controller and while Puppy could see it, it couldn't work with the drive. I tried connecting the 100G SATA to a Promise Fastrack 66 controller and Puppy also did not recognize it as you have correctly surmised.

Thanks.