Install on HD

Booting, installing, newbie
RazaMetaL

Install on HD

#1 Post by RazaMetaL »

Hi... contratulations to the puppy linux developers, this distro seems to be great !

I want to install on my laptop Hard Disk for permanent use. How can I install it ? It's any iso for install to HD ?

Greetings from Ecuador !!!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#2 Post by Lobster »

Did you try the menu?

Start / Setup / Install to Hard Drive

The hard disk installer gets easier and more straightforward.

:)

Good luck

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

I hope my post doesn't add to confusion. I'm running strictly on HD. However, I never did have problem installing except for a little snag one time. Nevertheless, I am very interested in helping others, solve and troubleshoot installation problems.

Working on my faulty memory - it seems to me, I ran into a snag installing to HD because the CD-ROM WAS mounted, when I started the install script.

Following is according to my understanding and I could be wrong:

Booting Puppy from CD is (I don't think) the same as *mounting* - in other words the boot loading routine is not the same as mounting a Linux device ??

At some point in the boot process, Puppy releases the CD-ROM and is no longer dependent on it for anything.

After Puppy boots, one should be able to run the 'mount' command and validate that /dev/cdrom is not mounted.

I think the hard drive installation expects to start with an unmounted /dev/cdrom

I guess if I were having this problem, I would want to verify if I can mount and unmount a data cdrom successfully. If not then there wouldn't be much point in running the installation script as there is trouble elsewhere.

Now I will say that I've had some problems with Puppy's mount / unmount drive utility in the 'File managers' section of the menu. So, I wrote little scripts to mount and umount the cdrom. As follows:

#!/bin/sh
mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660

---------------

#!/bin/sh
umount /mnt/cdrom

--------------

In any event, would I would actually do, if the script didn't work, is copy the files (image.gz, vmlinuz, usr_cram.fs) from the cd to the desired partition. Then edit grub accordingly.

--------------

If we consider that for a (new) type 1 install, all we are really trying to accomplish is copy three files to the hard drive, then boot the computer, it
seems very simple to me.

The question is; with what software routine are we going to boot the computer?

To make it as simple as possible in this phase of getting setup, I put together an MS-DOS floppy GRUB kit. You can find it in the how-to section of the forum.

So, backtracking a little.

For a manual type 1 install when things go wrong, I'd suggest:

1) copy the three files to a FAT32 (or ext2) partition
2) insert the ms-dos grub boot disk in drive a: and boot puppy

Presuming you have enough memory to load Puppy in RAM & IF Puppy doesn't boot, like it hangs or something, my idea was to edit the Grub menu.lst in the floppy boot disk to insert some failsafe type arguments, in order to determine if you can figure why it is not booting. I think this especially applies to kernel v2.6.xx

Argument combinations I'd try would be:

ide=nodma apm=off acpi=off noapic

See what works. Once you get Puppy booted successfully and you know what it takes in terms of the Grub commands, and have learned if it takes more than default, you can install Grub to the HD for a type 2 installation if you want this type. Otherwise your type 1 is done.