CoolPup Kernel Testing

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jimhap

CoolPup Kernel Testing

#1 Post by jimhap »

Hey,

As I am still sorting out the packages and cleaning the unneeded packages, I also built a simple 2.6.18.1 kernel. Nothing extra(yet). I will still look around for useful kernel stuff.

Please test my kernel! It's easy:
REQUIREMENTS:
Puppy 2.13 + (Can be a derivative based on it)
A CD Burner
A CD-RW DISK
A BACKUP OF YOUR Puppy DISK CD
Internet

--------------------------
1. Make sure you have a same Puppy backup disk (CD).
2. Get a CD-RW that you want to use.
3. Make a backup of your original ISO file(on HD).
4. Using Puppy's ISOMaster, open the ISO file of your Puppy 2.14 or a derivative.
If you deleted it, go to puppyos.org and redownload it. (Or whatever you got it from.)

5. Remove "vmlinux" from the bottom list. (Without quotes)
6. Download the one I made from the link below:
http://files.filefront.com/vmlinux/;751 ... einfo.html

7. Now find that file (vmlinux) in the top pane of ISOMaster. Click on the file and press Add to add it to the ISO.
8. Save the ISO.
9. Burn it.
10. Test it out! :d Hope it works.... :D

Please report back any problems with this kernel! Also, if you want any specific thing put in the kernel, just post it here and I'll see what I can do.

Current Planned Kernel stuff:

Multiuser (Done, just build it)
Bootsplash
...................(MORE TO COME)

Thanks,
jimhap

Gekko

#2 Post by Gekko »

So does this kernel have multiiuser support or not >_>

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

i may be wrong, but as far as i know, Puppy already has everything needed for multiuser support, if you mean running as an unprivileged user like spot ... as far as i know, nothing in the kernel needs to be changed or compiled differently

it's just a question of setting up users and groups and setting up the home dir and putting the appropriate configuration files in the home dir, and also setting various permissions and groups ownerships of various devices and directories and files

for example, X will not run with the permissions of an unprivileged user, so it requires to be owned by root and the uid bit must be set ... xwin that starts X writes to certain files in /etc, so the permissions must be arranged so xwin can work ... and probably some of the files in /etc need to be moved to $HOME anyway

and many of the programs in Puppy will no longer work, for example, drive mounting tools, and dotpups and petget

and running as an unprivileged user is not automatically more secure ... if even one mistake is made setting the permissions on various devices and files, it can open security holes that can be easily exploited

for example, in Puppy, no one can login as root, because tinylogin does not have the uid bit set ... which is very secure ... to be able to login as root while running as an unprivileged user, the uid bit must be set for tinylogin, which means that anyone can login as root, all that's needed is the password

Gekko

#4 Post by Gekko »

I've been screwing around with the "shadow" package set and we got a complete working multiuser ssh server running completely securely. Root had a password and all. Didn't attempt remote X, didn't try to or care to, the point being you can run irssi, lynx and everything basically that you want to run via ssh, I was compiling remotely. Currently I'm compiling kernel 2.6.21.1, and I've gotten it to boot puppy, and it has the SquashFS patches. I plan to make another release of 2.14 called Puppy 2.14 Revisited AKA 2.14.1 with bug fixes, package updates and a new kernel with quota and full KVM support.