2.16 on hd, get 'Kernel Panic - Not Syncing' - SOLVED

Booting, installing, newbie
REVOLV3R

2.16 on hd, get 'Kernel Panic - Not Syncing' - SOLVED

#1 Post by REVOLV3R »

I have been trying to install Puppy 2.16 to my portege ct7010 that has an external floppy but no CDROM.

After spending a week trying various installs I think I am finally installing Puppy correctly but get-

Decompressing Linux...done.
Booting the kernel.
crc error
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)
When I put the puppy only installed HD on my Toshiba. I can take that same drive and connect it to my other computers and Puppy will boot fine off the HD.

I partitioned formatted the 4 Gig drive ext2 with 300 MB for the linux swap. The laptop has 94 MB RAM with a Pll 233. I did a normal install onto the drive from another computer with the laptop drive connected to the IDE. I used grub for the boot manager. It looks like this:

title Linux (on /dev/hdc1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdc1 ro vga=normal

I read somewhere that the panic i am getting may be from a IDE controller driver not being loaded. I read on these forums that someone has installed puppy on the 7010 toshiba, so i think it should work...

Is this the case, does it look like Grub is set correctly? Any ideas on what I should change?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by REVOLV3R on Sun 03 Jun 2007, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

cherriepuppy

#2 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi
i'm running puppy on a 7010ct my menu.lst is

title puppy on /dev/hda2
root (hd0,1)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda2 ro vga=normal acpi=force

(i think hdc would be the cd drive not the hd)

i'm using a 20GB hd hda1=vfat(win98)
hda2=ext2(puppy)
hda3=swap(450MB)

been using puppy on this laptop about 18 months works fine

hope this helps

cherriepuppy

REVOLV3R

#3 Post by REVOLV3R »

thanks for quick reply.

I tried your settings and even tried using both HDA and HDC numbers 0-2 ..just experimenting...to no avail.

How did you do your install? On another computer? did u connect USB or IDE?

THX

cherriepuppy

#4 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=5311

third post

if you do a search for cheriepuppy you will find the few problems i had with the graphics once i got it to boot

cherriepuppy

REVOLV3R

#5 Post by REVOLV3R »

Redid the install according to what you did and now i get an error 15 file not found...trying another harddrive just in case.

JT673

#6 Post by JT673 »

Use gParted on the liveCD/Floppy/USB (Menu -> System -> gParted) to make a partition on your hard drive (/dev/hda), then edit it so:

Code: Select all

root (hd0, [insert partition number minus one])
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda[insert partition number] ro vga=normal
Currently, you're telling it to load from CD-ROM, which you said you don't have...

REVOLV3R

#7 Post by REVOLV3R »

OK, I am doing that. But my disk manager calls my CDROM HDA and My HD HDC while in puppy when its running off CD..is this normal?

Also if my grub is telling the system to boot from CD, why can I take that same drive, configed the same way and place it in any other computer and it boots...?

REVOLV3R

#8 Post by REVOLV3R »

JT673 wrote:Use gParted on the liveCD/Floppy/USB (Menu -> System -> gParted) to make a partition on your hard drive (/dev/hda), then edit it so:

Code: Select all

root (hd0, [insert partition number minus one])
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda[insert partition number] ro vga=normal
Currently, you're telling it to load from CD-ROM, which you said you don't have...
I did as you said and still get the panic. I took the hd and put it in a desktop and it booted fine, but still not in the laptop. I think I am going to give up and toss the laptop.

amish

#9 Post by amish »

before you give up, partition as fat32, install freedos (you won't need to setup any annoying things like config.sys, you can put in a blank autoexec.bat too) and when you have time, copy the files from the cd (that's the fun part, but it can be done...) and load using dos grub or loadlin.

i have 3 machines that just can't boot puppy any other way. i mean i'm not saying spend your time on this, but it's better than throwing it out. i realize you're going to have to come up with something clever to copy the files in the first place. multi-floppy zip file comes to mind... i never trust those (but i'm capable of writing my own splitter in basic, that helps.)

REVOLV3R

#10 Post by REVOLV3R »

OK, Thanks for tips I edited the menu file to

title Linux (on /dev/hdc1)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hdca ro vga=normal \

still didnt boot, but I put in a desktop after that and it ran a script saying making files useable (something to that effect)

Stalled there for a couple minutes, then it booted, I then took the drive back to the laptop and it boots, but is now having the graphic issues cherriepuppy mention, I am currently looking through his posts to get the video up.

When I get into the /usr/X11R7/bin/xwin its just a blank page and cant comment out line 260 because it is blank.

Anyway I will continue to fumble around
Last edited by REVOLV3R on Fri 25 May 2007, 02:36, edited 1 time in total.

cherriepuppy

#11 Post by cherriepuppy »

hi

try at command line cd /usr/X11R7/bin
mp xwin

that should open xwin in the editor mp

then you can comment out the parts as in barry's reply

cherriepuppy

ps its "his" post not hers :D dont give up yet once you get pass the problems the first time it is easier when you come to upgrade puppy

REVOLV3R

#12 Post by REVOLV3R »

Umm... :oops: Noted and edited Cherrie. My apologizes

REVOLV3R

get 'Kernel Panic - Not Syncing' - SOLVED

#13 Post by REVOLV3R »

Thanks for help, editing the Grub .LST worked.

Puppy in the other system would always call my drive hdc instead of hda, so this would confuse grub installer