Puppy Database

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Thee_oddball

#106 Post by Thee_oddball »

aragon wrote:for those of you who are running firefox

http://code.google.com/p/sqlite-manager/

might be interesting.

I think it is not for a beginner, but maybe someone ist interested.

The xpi is 86 kb!

cheers
aragon
I have pup4.1 and that prog requires seamonkey 2.0 ( i have 1.1) and the firfox version required is 3.0- and pup-get only has a 2.? version :( , i have been reading for the past couple nights about setting up a MYSQL DB and PHP and have read this post
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=37109

and have tested hiawatha :) but now i am trying se if there is a native solution to MySql , i SQLite3 mentioned but cannot find it under PETget, but i see puppybasic2 is installed :)......im just getting more and more confued :):)...ill get it sorted :)

S!

DMcCunney

#107 Post by DMcCunney »

might be interesting.

The xpi is 86 kb!
I have the XPI installed in FF3 on Windoze. Note that it can't diddle the place.sqlite file FF3 uses to store boomarks, as that file is locked while in use by FF, but it can investigate and diddle other SQLite DB files.
______
Dennis

DMcCunney

#108 Post by DMcCunney »

Thee_oddball wrote:

might be interesting.

The xpi is 86 kb!
I have pup4.1 and that prog requires seamonkey 2.0 ( i have 1.1) and the firfox version required is 3.0- and pup-get only has a 2.? version :(
That's because Firefox 3 and Seamonkey 2 use an SQLite database to store bookmarks instead of bookmarks.html, and use SQLite databases for a few other things. The XPI would be pointless in FF 2 or SM 1.

There's a pet for Firefox 3.03 here at puppylinux.ca, , and you can get SM 2.0 alpha 2 for Linux from Mozilla here.
(It runs on Puppy 4.12 here.)
but now i am trying se if there is a native solution to MySql , i SQLite3 mentioned but cannot find it under PETget, but i see puppybasic2 is installed :)......
There's a pet for SQLite 3.4.2 here at ibiblio.org.
______
Dennis

WhoDo

#109 Post by WhoDo »

DMcCunney wrote:There's a pet for SQLite 3.4.2 here at ibiblio.org.
______
Dennis
Actually, Puppy 4.xx Dingo series has SQLite included - DeepThought 4.2 has SQLite-3.4.2 inbuilt.

Hope that helps
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

charlie6

#110 Post by charlie6 »

Hi
on Toutou4.1.2 k2.6.25.16 frugal / (= french translation of Puppy 4.1.2)
I installed tksqlite 0.4.5 from the Pet Manager (from Puppy3 list; there isn't any in Puppy 4 pet list) ;
the dependencies were automatically installed one after the other;
I restarted jwm and X;
There is well a menu entry under 'Personal';
but it won't work ..?
I have made the dependencies check: they 'seems' all being installed.

Can somebody give me some help?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Charlie

update Ooupss ! Now my question is solved ! Please, just disregard it.
Having a look at the previous posts from the beginning I notice that tile-0.7.8.pet was missing ...Just had to load it from the pet manager, restart jwm and X and it is done.

I 'll now try to use that database with abiword to perform Mail merge.

Not enough 'many thanks!' to all the developpers (of Puppy and also its french translation 'Toutou') for such a nice tool !
Cheers
Charlie

re-update ...again...too fast spoken!
trying to open sqlite2_test.db (or sqlite3_test.db) I get a message asking
...install tclsqlite2...(or tclsqlite3)
I am now looking for tclsqlite2 and 3. Do .pet packages exist?

Cheers
Charlie

re-re-update
..looking for tclsqlite2 and 3...
I did not find them.
I found here (see previous post of 2byte on 15 dec 2007)
http://reddog.s35.xrea.com/software/tks ... bin.tar.gz
I " tar -xzvf " it and got tksqlite working (I could create a table and import another .csv one).
(...with tksqlite-0.4.5.pet already installed...I think i've made some jam...!?)

I 'm trying now to uninstall tksqlite-0.4.5.pet but do not succed in; using the Pet Manager to uninstall it gives no result for tksqlite and its dependencies as well.

I tried with Pet-be-Gone which seems only applicable for programs delivered with the Puppy live-cd.
How could I uninstall it?

Thanks for any idea.

Cheers
Charlie

Colonel Panic

#111 Post by Colonel Panic »

WhoDo wrote:
scheck.r wrote:I don't know much about databases but I recall people using portabase or treeline as very simple database software on the Zaurus pda.
Both require Qt. No Sqlite. They are available also on the desktop. Very user friendly apps.

See http://portabase.sourceforge.net/index.html
and http://treeline.bellz.org/index.html
Thanks, scheck.r - treeline needs Python which kinda defeats the Puppy ethic, but portabase looks interesting. I have downloaded the tarball and will attempt a compile in Puppy. If successful I'll post the dotpet result here. At 256kb the download looks distinctly promising if QT is the only dependency.

The thread was really aimed at getting a fully-relational database for Puppy, but something this small might be enough for most people IF it is easier to use than TkSQlite for example.

Update: Compile from source failed due to missing directory but I downloaded the debian binary and that works. I have repacked as a dotpet here. Small, quick and relatively easy to use IMHO. Surprising how much it can do for such a little app. Good find, scheck.r 8)

Thanks for this one, I downloaded it today and spent three-quarters of an hour or so converting my existing databases over so that Portabase could use them. I'm very impressed, it does everything I need from a database and is easy to understand and use.

smokey01

#112 Post by smokey01 »

I have looked at the GLOM database web site and I must admit it looks pretty good.

Has anyone managed to compile this for Puppy?

Apparently it is based on File Maker Pro which is very popular.

For any body who has compiling skills the source can be found at:
http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/glom/

GLOM home Page:
http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

A .PET would be nice that included all the dependencies.

I have tried to use the Database application in Open Office 2.4 and 3.0. It keeps telling me it needs JRE but it also says it is already installed.

I have tried PortaBase which is quite good but I need a little more functionality such as relationships and the ability to create forms.

For those who have the skills a GLOM PET or SFS would be very useful and appreciated I'm sure, by the Puppy community.

Regards

Smokey

gposil

#113 Post by gposil »

?...The depends alone for glom are almost as large as puppy itself...I don't think that's the way to go... :(

I'm working on a RDBMS for Puppy but it's not going to happen overnight... :(
[img]http://gposil.netne.net/images/tlp80.gif[/img] [url=http://www.dpup.org][b]Dpup Home[/b][/url]

cklammer

/rdb, NoSQL and SHQL and other unix test file dbs

#114 Post by cklammer »

A long time ago I wrote an integration application using unix text file tools (if I remember correctly it was under SGI IRIX 6.5). Everything worked well until some of the input data became arabic (unicode) characters .... it wasn't pretty let me tell you. I was new to the whole unicode thingy then.

Anyway: Before you read my following warning please bear in mind I admit that I did not look at the latest versions of /rdb, NoSQL and SHQL and such but:

/rdb, NoSQL and other similar tools all use to some the available unix text file utilities (which may or may not have problems supporting unicode fully) and you really want make sure that Unicode is properly supported before you put them into production (either for just for yourself or for others). All the the unix text databases were created in under old unix initially living in a pure ASCII world - so if you have Unicode data then TEST, TEST, TEST EVERYTHING!!!

If people find this post offensive because they feel stepped on their toes then I am sorry - this is most certainly not my intention.

cklammer

Colonel Panic

#115 Post by Colonel Panic »

Hi. Just revisiting this thread and I'd like to say I think Portabase could usefully be included in an official release; it's as far as I know unique to Puppy.

The other Linux distros I've looked at and used certainly don't have anything like it.

I'm still using it for addresses and 'phone numbers as well as for a local history project I've been doing about the local dialect of my home area.

Well done Warren, it's a fine app.

CP.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

tlchost

#116 Post by tlchost »

gposil wrote: I'm working on a RDBMS for Puppy but it's not going to happen overnight... :(
Any progress? Your previous efforts were very promising.

Thom

jmbowman

#117 Post by jmbowman »

Hello, I thought you guys might like to know that there's now an updated version of PortaBase available, 2.0 beta 1 (I'm the author). It's finally been ported to Qt 4, so it should be easier to install alongside modern software without dragging in ancient versions of Qt. Other changes are summarized on the history page. This beta version has a few minor regressions from 1.9 that were discovered after the release, but those have already been fixed in the Git repository. Let me know if you find any other problems with it, or have suggestions for improvement.

Colonel Panic

#118 Post by Colonel Panic »

Thanks for this one, I'll try it soon.

I really appreciate all the work you've done in putting together an open source personal database; there's absolutely nothing else out there for Linux which does the same job, and precious little for any other OS which does either (do you really want to have to power up Access just to be able to access your address book, for example, or your database of dialect words?).

I started a thread on the Vector Linux (which I also use) forum about Portabase, and one of the devs there has promised to have a go at building a Portabase package for that distro.

Best,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#119 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just looked at this and I think it's one for the devs. It needs QT4, which is a big package, and also the dev_x sfs which I don't have.

The alternative, if it's possible, is if someone's got a way of "processing" the deb file to extract the binary, as Warren said he was able to (earlier in the thread).

It's not a big deal in any case since Portabase 1.9 works fine.

Pelo

sqliteman tested ok on here below distros

#120 Post by Pelo »

Racy, Passagio-es, lxpup : ok
Lucid 5.2.8 : negative

NeroVance

#121 Post by NeroVance »

In terms of how I'd do a DB, I'd use Tcl, Sqlite originated as a Tcl extension 8) (it's even got the feather in it's logo)

Hell, Tcl 8.6 has included a package for database access, hence it could fairly easily built using plain ol' Tcl now (ish). Good thing I've compiled Tcl and Tk 8.6 for my fellow puppians.

But in terms of DB, I would be interested in seeing what people have developed for databases in puppy.

Pelo

Is there anybody here (2010)

#122 Post by Pelo »

No more interest in databases ? I would like to know how to include images in sqliteman. And to show it on a file

Anybody can explain ?

Pelo

nothing new about database . Sqliteman

#123 Post by Pelo »

Dear users of SQLITEMAN , how do you do to insert a picture in SQLITEMAN. ?

tallboy

#124 Post by tallboy »

I used FileMaker in my olds Macs, and miss it very much. No matter what you say, I have never used - or seen - another tool making it so easy to create a database in seconds. But I think all the Puppys I have used, have some basic tools that cover much of what a very simple database is used for:

Notecase is a very nice and compact tool, with hierachical layout and internal links. Examples: I use it a lot for making overviews and lists of source links for people in families 'in work', that are later entered into my genealogy database program Gramps. I also use it to manage my work todo-list and my spare parts, for my old Dodge, and one main use is to list all puppy-related links and notes, my memory is not what it used to be! It can be exported as a .txt, .html or even as a standalone. Bugfree.

It also has a 'poor sibling' in the form of hnb (hierachical note book) for use in a terminal window. Tiny, quick and simple to use, also bugfree.

Osmo Apart from being a calendar program that can manage your tasks and todo-lists, it is also quick and easy for managing contacts, and can easily be used for taking notes.

Homebank is a tool I don't use myself, but from what I have seen, it covers most situations where a database can be used to serve your privat economy.

There are many specialized programs in the puppy repositories for managing your collection of movies, recipes, music or pictures, I cannot mention them all, but as an example, a program like Pmusic is installed in recent puppys. They are probably more efficient than a self-made database would be.
And I hate to say it, but Gnumeric has also taken over some of the tasks that I left to FileMaker earlier. I still have some heavy duty tasks that I leave to my over-large Debian, among them a database, but the frequency of Debian use is fast moving towards zero.

So the big question is: how many puppy users really need a universal database?

Do you think the picture has changed since this thread was started in 2007, and if so: How and why?

tallboy
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

smokey01

#125 Post by smokey01 »

Last edited by smokey01 on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 10:30, edited 3 times in total.