Puppy Foundation

Promote Puppy !
JohnMurga
Site Admin

#31 Post by JohnMurga »

Hey

The people I use ...

http://web.tera-byte.com/index.cfm?fuse ... ces.shared

They've been pretty good with me over the last 7 years ...

If hosting is needed right away I can probably spare about 50Mb and create FTP accounts for it right now (space is tight right now).

Cheers
JohnM

babbs

#32 Post by babbs »

Ugh! I'm back home now, but while I was on the road, my PC got moved to the closet... Since my 3 year old is the only one who knows how to log into her account on Fedora, my girlfriend didn't want her to mess the computer up... What they don't know is that my PC is dual boot Chubby Puppy 1.0.4/Fedora 3. I don't allow my teen & pre-teen to have unsupervised access to the web, and my 3 year old doesn't want anyone bothering her when she's playing a game. :twisted:

If they knew just how easy Puppy was to use, I'd have to fight them for a turn on my own computer. :evil:

Back to what I was saying in my last post... The account that I set up for Barry has a 750MB storage limit. I initially offered him 500MB, but stated that I'd go as high as a 1GB if he needed it. Since he didn't say one way or the other, I split the two and went with 750MB (truth be known, I can spare upto 2GB for the Puppy project). Chubby Puppy is currently taking up just shy of 100MB. My only concern is getting hit with extra bandwidth charges (none assessed to me yet :P ) since my server account is only allocated 500GB per month. (I can pay for the next level which will allow for 1500GB of transfers per month.)

Matt (aka Babbs)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#33 Post by BarryK »

babbs,
what are the charges?

my host for goosee.com has unlimited bandwidth, but sharing with others on the server seems to be a bit of a problem sometimes. I think my host offers some faster hosting options. They are www.arrowweb.net.

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#34 Post by GuestToo »

in the case of the wiki, maybe the time to do a reverse-dns lookup of the ip of the person accessing the wiki might be the main cause of slow response ... on the other hand, maybe sharing the server's resources is the main problem

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#35 Post by Lobster »

There is a known bug of the wakka wiki that if you are not logged in the response time may be slow - not good. One of the reasons we may change to an updated wakka wiki in the future. At tthe moment what we have works well for most people.

Any way we can get this bug removed is to the good

:)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

dvw86

#36 Post by dvw86 »

I contacted Open Source Development Labs to see if they could help us out. OSDL is the employer of Linus Torvalds and Andrew Morton. I just happen to live near by their Portland location. I need input from all of you though if I am to communicate with them effectively.

Here are the emails up to today beginning with the oldest.
Diane M. Peters,
I am contacting you in regards to Puppy Linux. It is a Linux distribution that was created and is maintained by Barry Kauler. There are now quite a few developers and end users. Puppy has been reviewed by magazines around the world and enjoys a consistent ranking in the mid 20's at Ditrowatch. The developers and active uses of Puppy feel that in order for Puppy to progress and last, things should be more organized. Even Barry admits that he can not work on Puppy forever. It needs to eventually be handed over to a group of people. We are at a loss though as to the legal options and requirements. I was hoping that you may be able to point us in the right direction. We would be grateful for any help or advise that you could offer. Thank you for your time.
Dan Van Wormer
Kennewick, WA
Dan,

Diane Peters suggested I contact you regarding your inquiry. It looks like
Puppy Linux is gaining traction, now the question is, where do you want to
go with it?

I would be happy to discuss some scenarios and provide you with some
introductions, but the fundamental question I have is: Do you want to see
broader adoption (and what audience) or do you want this to be a developer
platform? Or, perhaps both?

We can up time to talk next week if you like.

Regards,

Paula M. Hunter
Paula,
I have been on vacation and just received your email. Thank you for responding. I would love to talk with you and discuss the future of Puppy Linux. Puppy is mainly a "user" oriented Linux being it is stripped of a compiler but there is a "developer" version with a built in compiler. The other people involved with Puppy and ultimately Barry would have to decide on the direction to be taken, but I would be honored to be a point of contact since I live close to you. When would be a good time to call you?
Dan

Greatful Puppy User

Make it desktop king

#37 Post by Greatful Puppy User »

Having seen the great speed and stablity of Puppy, there is no doubt in my mind that it has a solid future for the desktop.

My 2 cents is that Puppy should be built into as many machines as possible.

As to getting a group behind Puppy, all you hav to do is form your own company. Why, I might even join.

PZ

dvw86

#38 Post by dvw86 »

Paula, the OSDL representative had the following thoughts.

If Puppy is going to target the desktop environment it will face the same issues that Red Hat and Suse encountered. The biggest issue being supporting it's customers. Red Hat and Suse used larger corporations such as HP, IBM, and Novell to provide the technical support to the end users. It would be wise to work with an established hardware provider to overcome this challenge.

Because of the support issue, there is a limited market for the Linux desktop. The people who are willing to use Linux as a desktop can be broken into three main groups. The first is universities. While schools and universities have standards that the computers and operating systems must comply with, the computer science, physics, engineering, and other more technical departments tend to stray from the standards and do whatever they want. The second group are the corporations that don't care about corporate standards. They will use whatever gets the job done the best/fastest. Examples would be DreamWorks, Pixar, genome research, and other scientific fields. The third group are the second and third world countries. Given Puppy's unique qualities it is well suited for this group. Puppy can run on old and inexpensive (thinPC) hardware.

It is a bit of a mystery why Linux has become so excepted in these countries. Why are they willing to use it without support from large corporations? Many just don't want to pay Microsoft when they can get the OS for free. Other countries governments are endorsing Linux. Even still OSDL has formed a Desktop Working Group to try and figure out what is drawing them to Linux, and to

rarsa

#39 Post by rarsa »

Yes, support is the main challenge, specially knowing that to keep puppy small, hardware detection and hardware drivers for puppy are scarse.

The idea of a HW vendor sounds great as controling the HW environment would limit the support requirements. (You configure puppy for some known hardware).

I'm glad that you had the terrific idea of contacting someone with experience on this topic.

cthisbear

#40 Post by cthisbear »

Why can't Puppy be sold to banks and credit unions? I do all my banking on puppy although St George bank is the only one that plays up,
Java issues. For that I use PC Linux, very good but a big
download.Personally I do not know much about Linux. What I do find is that the majority of people do not know anything Linux related either, let alone Windows. They also have a brand mentality.
Want a computer go to Harvey Norman even though the local computer shop gives more bang for the Bucks with a clone model.
This means if Harvey stocks it , it must be good. Personally I wouldn't touch their products for quids, however I digress.
Maybe approach Harvey for a banner link etc, and supply some
CDs instore for clients who purchase a computer etc. Other people
who want a copy and don't buy - make a gold coin donation for charity,
preferably one that helps kids etc like Father Chris Reilly.
You don't make money but people log on to your site. Harvey doesn't make money but he's giving a freebie and being seen as charitable.
And people can still have Mr Microsoft but "hey if you worry
about banking- give Puppy a try" line of attack.
Aussies are conservative no matter what they say.
Sell it to financial institutions with all their sites bookmarked in the
browser under Banks, Credit Unions, Insurance, Super etc.
Sell Puppy as more secure, less fear of fraud, and basically as a
service that will save them money short and long term and also protect the customer. And how about stating that even if your computer goes down Boot Up with Puppy,and you can still Email, bank etc.
Market Puppy as the "Inspector Rex" of computing.
You are all doing a brilliant job, I salute you.

raffy

Banking

#41 Post by raffy »

Thanks for your encouraging words.

Yes, even banks that use Open Source software require Java in clients.

So a Puppy with built-in Java client should do the job for these banks... Some testing will be needed, of course.

I like your line, "If your [OS] goes down, boot up with Puppy".

BarryK
Puppy Master

#42 Post by BarryK »

The input from you guys is helpful.
I tend to think about what I want for myself, and tailor Puppy accordingly.
Also I'm a minimalist.

Yes, for the great majority of people out there, with reasonably modern PCs with 256M RAM, a Chubby Puppy is probably the way to go, with OpenOffice ...and ...(gag).... Java.
I don't like Java personally, but Sun has a heavy investment in it and they are making it difficult for OpenOffice to work fully without it.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#43 Post by JohnMurga »

BarryK wrote:I don't like Java personally, but Sun has a heavy investment in it and they are making it difficult for OpenOffice to work fully without it.
See my posting regarding GCJ ...

And this article :

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1815349,00.asp

The main problem with GCJ currently is SWING apps ... But most other stuff (including the Eclipse IDE which uses SWT) works fine.

http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2005-06/msg00032.html
http://developer.classpath.org/mediatio ... thShowcase

The classpath showcase mentions JAM ... I believe it doesn't perform very well, but it is very small and I believe I could create a pretty small JAM+ClassPath package so maybe I should take a look :-)

Cheers
JohnM

BarryK
Puppy Master

#44 Post by BarryK »

The classpath showcase mentions JAM ... I believe it doesn't perform very well, but it is very small and I believe I could create a pretty small JAM+ClassPath package so maybe I should take a look
Yes, that looks promising.

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#45 Post by JohnMurga »

BarryK wrote:
The classpath showcase mentions JAM ... I believe it doesn't perform very well, but it is very small and I believe I could create a pretty small JAM+ClassPath package so maybe I should take a look
Yes, that looks promising.
OK, I'll dot that right after I get round to upgrading the forum ;-)

I did some more research and things have really moved forward over
the last few months.

Take a look at this link and scroll down :

http://planet.classpath.org/

As I suspected there is a GCJ plug-in to run applets in Mozilla :-)

Cheers
JohnM

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#46 Post by JohnMurga »

See attached screenshot ...

Jikes, JamVM, ClassPath and Cairo (required for Swing) compiled fine.

Although it is slow as hell (gives Java a bad name), the results REALLY impressed me... I tested it with a relly complex app (JEdit).

I'll be creating a package for this soon, I have no idea how big it'll be as "classpath" seems to have changed a lot ...

Cheers
JohnM
Attachments
Java.PNG
(78.64 KiB) Downloaded 2832 times

raffy

Waiting

#47 Post by raffy »

Will be waiting for that in the Announcements (or dotPUP) sections. Some benchmark of performance may be useful, for example, against these compact processors by Intel.

klhrevolutionist

hmm

#48 Post by klhrevolutionist »

I'm wondering exactly what this is? Is it an alternative to java ???
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

JohnMurga
Site Admin

Re: hmm

#49 Post by JohnMurga »

klhrevolutionist wrote:I'm wondering exactly what this is? Is it an alternative to java ???
Yes ... And no ...

You of all people should be able to understand this :

http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/java-trap.html

The purpose of this within Puppy is to offer a Java JM with a good set of features and a small footprint... That also happens to be "truly" free.

Personally I still think it would be better to re-build the GCC in the usr_devx.sfs to a recent version with GCJ enabled, but I am not the man to do this ;-)

Cheers
JohnM

PeterSieg

Can't wait for your Java package...

#50 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi John,

hope to see your free Java (TM) package soon, to get my hands dirty :)
Like to see if some apps are working with that and how big your java
package is..

Thanks, Peter
Have fun :)