How to mount, edit & back up the pup001 file

Using applications, configuring, problems
peppyy

#16 Post by peppyy »

Thank you many times over!
I booted to a cd and opened a terminal. Created the mount point. Browsed to the directory, edited the file, saved and rebooted.

Back to my wolfie desktop and all my files and all my bookmarks and..

Thank you again! I
Puppy Linux...
It just works!

Bruce B

#17 Post by Bruce B »

peppyy wrote:Is there a way to open the pup1 file so it can be edited? I have come to the conclusion that everything is hiding in there.
Renamed it to pup2 and it created a new pup1 file with none of my apps or files in it. May as well run it off the cd. At least that keeps track of my preferences.

I guess I will have to recreate all the files that I can't get to anymore. :( I am going to have to learn to backup to another partition just in case from now on.
I'm glad it worked for you. Thanks for the thanks.

Yes everything is 'hiding' in pup1 as you postulated. As for back-up it's fairly simple also. The only think you need to backup is pup1.

I do it by cp pup1 pup1.bak I do it from the command line after leaving X, because I think maybe in X there is more possibility of pup1 changing during the copy process.

Due to the size of your pup1 it will take some time to do the backup. Of course you will need to have the necessary disk space to do it. You can make the pup1 backup to whatever partition / directory you please.

To locate pup1 say cd /mnt/home, followed by an ls

-------------------

To restore the backup say:

mv pup1 pup1.bad
mv pup1.bak pup1

But I really think it would be best to do this with a boot cd-rom or another OS, and not with pup1 active.