New mail alert (was Pizzapup:some questions)

Booting, installing, newbie
eden6000

New mail alert (was Pizzapup:some questions)

#1 Post by eden6000 »

hi everybody,
i'm re-typing the question, since I made a "bad" request in my previous post (sorry for my english). I wanted to khow how to integrate a new mail alert in the taskbar, without opening Sylpheed. I'm using Pizzapup 3.0.
Thanks

eden6000

#2 Post by eden6000 »

no answers? :cry:
I've given a look at the icewm config file, but i'm still not able to do this....please, i don't think it's so difficult for some linux gurus :D

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

you can configure Icewm to check for email periodically ... see: http://www.icewm.org/FAQ/IceWM-FAQ-5.html

basically, you would configure MailBoxPath in the file /root/.icewm/preferences, like this:

MailBoxPath="imap://username:password@remote.host"

(use the correct id,password and protocol)

if you do this, Icewm may not start until after the mail check has finished, which may cause a long delay every time Puppy boots

or you can configure your email program to automatically check for mail periodically

or you can run a program that checks for mail periodically ... i made an xbiff package, see: http://puppylinux.org/wikka/DotPups

eden6000

#4 Post by eden6000 »

Many many thanks! actually i found there was an # before a line in the config file, than was preventing the wm to show the mail icon. Now I have to find how to make sylpheed open when i click on the mail icon alert, and also to make the same icon go away once the mail is read...

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#5 Post by GuestToo »

in my /root/.icewm/preferences file, i have this line:

MailCommand="defaultemail"

this runs the defaultemail program when the mail icon is clicked ... i edited like this:

#!/bin/sh
exec sylpheed "$@"

if you set the MailBoxPath= to your mail server, Icewm should automatically check the mail periodically (MailCheckDelay=...) ... the mail icon on the task bar should change colours, depending if you have new mail, or read mail, or no mail (look at the icons in /root/.icewm/mailbox)

there are other configuration items in the preferences file, like NewMailCommand= ... search the file for the string "mail"

Icewm can watch a dir for mail, and change the colours of the mail icon and do notifications accordingly ... i think it's for the Linux internal mail system, i'm not really sure how it's supposed to work ... i put this line in the preferences file:

MailBoxPath="file:///root/Mail/inbox/1"

Sylpheed puts email files in this dir named 1 2 3 4 etc ... what that line does is watches to see if there is a file named "1" in that folder, and will notify you if there is

another way i tried is to run a script in the background, something like this:

#!/bin/sh
while true
do
sleep 300
if ls /root/Mail/inbox/* | grep '[0-9]'
then
> /tmp/youhavemail
else
rm -f /tmp/youhavemail
fi
done

and i put this line in Icewm preferences:

MailBoxPath="file:///tmp/youhavemail"

which works, but it's probably not the way it's supposed to work ... i'm not sure how the MailBoxPath stuff works, i never did figure it out, despite a lot of googling ... does anyone know the correct way to do it?