For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
GrantsV

Pup215 modprobe ndiswrapper not working

#1 Post by GrantsV »

modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

When I use Pup Network Wizard and choose Ndiswrapper and load my driver I get:
XDialog
Loading ndiswrapper failed; try a different driver.

Any ideas!?

mallan157

ndiswrapper not working

#2 Post by mallan157 »

I had the same problem when I upgraded from 2.12 to 2.16.

Turns out the ndiswrapper kernel module (ndiswrapper.ko) is not copied into the /lib/modules structure when doing a frugal install (maybe because its in a /misc subfolder).

No idea what the proper solution is, but I did a clean CD boot (with pfix=ram), mounted the drive containing my frugal install (hda1 in my case), and copied the /misc subfolder (containing ndiswrapper.ko) into the equivalent location in the /mnt/hda1/lib structure.

Rebooted from the hard disk and all was well.

I also have "modprobe ndiswrapper" edited into the rc.local0 script just before it calls rc.network - I found in 2.12 that the automated installer put the modprobe call in after all the network setup, which wasn't helpful!

Hope this helps...

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#3 Post by GuestToo »

i don't use ndiswrapper, so i don't have ndiswrapper.ko in /lib/modules/

i typed modprobe ndiswrapper, and it put ndiswrapper.ko in /lib/modules/2.6.18.1/misc/ with no error messages

i have a frugal install ... pup_216.sfs, zdrv_216.sfs, and pup_save.3fs on hda1

for the modules to be found, zdrv_xxx.sfs must be in the same place as the pup_save file (not inside the pup_save file, beside the pup_save file on the same partition)

if a module is not being found, a missing zdrv_xxx.sfs file might be the reason

mallan157

module loading on frugal installation

#4 Post by mallan157 »

Thanks for the info.

When I did the frugal install (straight from the Full Drivers CD image, downloaded & burned with no problems) I selected use of the entire partition for my files rather than a Save File - does this mean that zdrv_xxx.sfs is effectively 'inside' the save file?

Will this mean that other modules may not have loaded correctly?

Also, I have had no success with other .sfs modules (the dev and OpenOffice packages) despite having put them in the same folder as the installation .sfs files. Is this part of the same issue?

If so, sounds like I'd better re-install with a save file, though it means most of the partition (3 GB) will be unavailable for working files, since I gather the max save file size is 1.2 GB.

Alternatively, I'd be happy to go with an Option 2 HD installation, since I can upgrade by loading new versions to alternate partitions if necessary, but how do I install the dev and O-O SFS packages in this case?

Sorry you're answer has generated so many more questions!