printing problem - xpdq says complete but no print (Solved)

Booting, installing, newbie
sulemasc

printing problem - xpdq says complete but no print (Solved)

#1 Post by sulemasc »

I reinstalled Puppy 1.0.4 and ran the printer wizard again in the same manner as before (I was printing fine with gnumeric hours before) and now printing isn't working. Printer is epson stylus photo 700.

I removed all printers listed in xpdq, reran the printing wizard, chose a name (test), then set "test" as the default printer, tried a test print and nothing comes out, although xpdq does go through some steps and eventaully says finished for the job. Now I'm really confused - Help! What can I do?
Mark

#2 Post by Guest »

When you say you reinstalled Puppy what did you do exactly.

When you set the printer up what settings did you use.

sulemasc

printing problem - xpdq says complete but no print

#3 Post by sulemasc »

the re-install was install puppy hard-drive, where it reformatted the partition and then re-installed

the settings I chose were the ijs-escp2-700 file in the add printer in xpdq, and for the printer wizard I chose all the defaults except for local port
Mark

sulemasc

printing problem - xpdq says complete but no print

#4 Post by sulemasc »

I found out what I did wrong.. this thread should be called "proper device name in add printer wizard isn't the name of the printer"

because I was rushing through the add printer wizard, the second last screen which prompts for device name was the issue - I setup the printer several weeks ago and didn't remember this step.

On this second last dialog of the wizard, I was clicking fast with mouse, typing in "test" or whatever I named the printer.
After going through the wizard slowly, after a break, I realize that if you hover the mouse over the field a pop-up menu tells me that I should be typing in /dev/.../lp0 So that's where my error was.

I guess a suggestion from this would be to put that pop-up info right on the dialog box in plain view as if you click the field with the mouse and then move it away from the field the pop-up menu doesn't show. Maybe this could help other newbies, or at least I can laugh at myself ... sometimes;)
Mark