How To: Remaster LiveCD from LiveCD without pain :-)

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
zeke7237

#61 Post by zeke7237 »

Nope, lotsa space. The errors are coming when copying stuff into the "image-new" which is the image file mounted on /dev/loop2

Maybe I'm just doing this wrong? I burned a current Puppy CD, moved it onto usb device, configured as I wanted it, now trying to move configured Puppy from usb back to CD. Is there a better way to do this?

Alienx

#62 Post by Alienx »

zeke7237 wrote:Maybe I'm just doing this wrong? I burned a current Puppy CD, moved it onto usb device
maybe is it
zeke7237 wrote: now trying to move configured Puppy from usb back to CD. Is there a better way to do this?
I dont know nothing about Puppy on usb devices, I even dont have one :roll:
Sorry, broken english above :-)

#63 Post by Guest »

I have a pup001 on my hard drive (1.0.6). I did the PupGet for Open Office and a few other things. I selected the remaster script from the menu (I did not select the fast option). Selected a remaster directory on my thumb drive. Created a 110MB ISO, burned it to CD. All I get is the kernel panic no init found with the remasterd CD.

Any ideas where I went wrong?

zeke7237

#64 Post by zeke7237 »

So ..

I have had success with the 0.4 script only by commenting out the FSSIZE calculation and manually setting the size. It was calculating 122M, but the copy would fail out of space. I manually set 150M and it went fine, resultant iso boots ok.

Now I tried to put that remastered Puppy on USB, and I get the "init not found" error ..

kelewax

Remaster live Cd from NTFS

#65 Post by kelewax »

I have a windows xp on a single patitioned hard disk which is NTFS I have upto 3 GB of free space on the NTFS harddisk, Is it possible for me to copy a new pup001 file to C:\ and enlarge from windows then boot into puppy mount the new (renamed) pup001 and use to to remaster live cd.

If not then is there a way I can avoid patitioning my harddisk and still keep my windows xp while I remaster a live cd?

Alienx

Re: Remaster live Cd from NTFS

#66 Post by Alienx »

kelewax wrote:I have a windows xp on a single patitioned hard disk which is NTFS I have upto 3 GB of free space on the NTFS harddisk, Is it possible for me to copy a new pup001 file to C:\ and enlarge from windows then boot into puppy mount the new (renamed) pup001 and use to to remaster live cd.

If not then is there a way I can avoid patitioning my harddisk and still keep my windows xp while I remaster a live cd?
your idea is good

you can enlarge pup001 (as big as possible) and copy pup001 to something like pup777

then you create a folder like /mnt/my-remaster

and do

mount -o loop pup007 /mnt/my-remaster

start the remaster script and choose /mnt/my-remaster as your remater folder

I suppose that will work , lets test it and tell us :wink:

Thank you

#67 Post by Guest »

Hi,

Just want to thank you for your great work.

I'm not a computer guy, don't know anything under the hood about this amazing Linux and Puppy, yet I have managed to create many remasters veeery easy without any problems, using your script.

Thank's again !

OzzyBB

I had a problem with the Standard 1.0.5 script

#68 Post by OzzyBB »

Hello all,

Last Monday I did create my first custom Puppy CD. However, it didn't go as I expected. The desktop icons came out with my Spanish language captions, but my Spanish language Firefox and Open Office 2.0 didn't make it into my custom CD. How do I make sure they make it to the ISO file?

By the way, I'm using Puppy 1.0.5 with the standard script on a 1250 MHz AMD machine with 256 MB RAM, 40 GB HDD (with Win XP and suSE partitions) and a LiteOn CD burner.

Also, a side effect was that I lost my Freedoom and my Lucent windmodem driver installations.... I still haven't got around to try and use the pup001 backup file, before resorting to install them again. I'll let you know how it goes.

Warmest greetings from Peru,

Oswaldo Bellido
"OzzyBB"

Alienx

#69 Post by Alienx »

hi all !

I'm temporarily busy with lots of works and could not study the new versions of Puppy and update the script

please, someone do it ! :wink:

Fox7777

Re: Remaster LiveCD from LiveCD without pain

#70 Post by Fox7777 »

With Alienx we remastered Puppy 1.0.7 to include Open Office (from PupGet) plus Firefox 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5 (from Mozilla.com). This combination is really ready for prime time and it is surprising it is not yet more widely adopted (but then we thought the Seahawks should have gone to the Superbowl a long time ago too). Apparently you do need to follow the instructions and export the iso to a ext2 or ext3 folder but then we were able to copy that folder over to reiserfs in SUSE 10 and burn the CD with K3B. You can use this remastered CD to update Puppy on other computers and remaster another CD with even more advanced features!

pakt

#71 Post by pakt »

Fox7777 wrote:With Alienx we remastered Puppy 1.0.7 to include Open Office (from PupGet) plus Firefox 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5 (from Mozilla.com). This combination is really ready for prime time and it is surprising it is not yet more widely adopted...
Sounds like a winner!

Is it available for download anywhere?

Paul

Fox7777

#72 Post by Fox7777 »

We wish there were somewhere you could just download it ready to go but it is pretty easy to do the Alienx remaster. We also wish something like MOTV could be included so you could get HDTV and perhaps an option to network other computers while acting as a router.
pakt wrote:
Fox7777 wrote:With Alienx we remastered Puppy 1.0.7 to include Open Office (from PupGet) plus Firefox 1.5 and Thunderbird 1.5 (from Mozilla.com). This combination is really ready for prime time and it is surprising it is not yet more widely adopted...
Sounds like a winner!

Is it available for download anywhere?

Paul

xrq_9/11/2001

#73 Post by xrq_9/11/2001 »

The title of this thread " Remaster LiveCD from LiveCD without pain "
but as you might of noticed that there are more than few of us who don't have a CD burner and boot puppy from dos.
Is it possible to remaster from the installed ?
yes ,there are few topics that teaches how to backup/restore by using DD or other methods like just saving the pupXXX but what about those who installed it then added/removed packages and set it just the way they needed it?!
how about creating iso from the installed?!
can it be done?!

Pizzasgood

#74 Post by Pizzasgood »

It's definately possible. And thanks for mentioning it. I'm going to add this feature to HackyRemaster the next time I work on it.

I don't know how to do it with the scripts that are already availiable though, mainly because I've only used HackyRemaster (which I know can't quite do it yet).
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

xrq

#75 Post by xrq »

Pizzasgood wrote:It's definately possible. And thanks for mentioning it. I'm going to add this feature to HackyRemaster the next time I work on it.

I don't know how to do it with the scripts that are already availiable though, mainly because I've only used HackyRemaster (which I know can't quite do it yet).
Thanks WizKid :D ,would appreciated if you (or anyone willing to help) if you used Alienx simple remaster-cd

BTW here is a classic game just for you Friend (if you have the dosbox installed):
http://www.dosgames.com/dl.php?filename ... /PIZZA.ZIP

Thanks again

Pizzasgood

#76 Post by Pizzasgood »

Thanks WizKid :D ,would appreciated if you (or anyone willing to help) if you used Alienx simple remaster-cd
Sorry, but frankly, using other remaster scripts is very low on my priority list. Sure, using some others would give me a wider knowledge base, but it's not worth the very limited time that I have to experiment with them. I'd rather spend that time making a custom Puppy, writing a new script, doing some much needed work on my website, or relaxing (also much needed).

My advice, and don't take this harshly or anything, is that if nobody comes up with a solution, make your own. It is 100% possible to remaster by hand, with no fancy scripts to help you. All you really have to do is extract image.gz and usr_cram.fs, edit the contents, recompress them, and reburn. You have to update two files or so with data about new filesizes, but that's really it.

And nope, I don't have dosbox yet. It's on the to-do list, though. But I also need to get around to re-burining all my music (my cd's were lost over Christmas, just before I recieved two (2) new cd cases :roll: )
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

sccat

#77 Post by sccat »

Great job.

Hope this support Puppy2.0,If it is borned. :D

Alienx

#78 Post by Alienx »

Really great is the information that Barry is writing a new remaster script. I believe it will be by far better and more accurate than this previous script :D

BarryK
Puppy Master

#79 Post by BarryK »

Alienx,
I think you commented awhile back, that my script /usr/sbin/createpuppyonline, is obscure -- can't remember the exact words.
I looked at it, and thought "did I really write all of that?!". Anyway, it was too
hard to port to puppy2, so I wrote a new one from scratch.

This new one though, is simple, doesn't have the ability to remove packages,
as createpuppyonline did. I'll probably add that capability later.

Anyway, as you will no doubt want to modify my new script to do different
things, you should find it very easy to follow.
I will release it along with the next puppy2 snapshot in about a week from now,
I think.

Alienx

#80 Post by Alienx »

Something is happenning in the linux world. There are few new distributions and interesting news. Puppy is the only exception. The news page and the Forum are very exciting to read everyday and we stay anxious waiting the next Puppy version. :D