EZpup-2 ... First Looks!

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#46 Post by Béèm »

WhoDo wrote:
Béèm wrote:
WhoDo wrote:I commented out blinky so it's not anymore on the taskbar, but where is icewm's net monitoring?
How is it activated for the task bar?
Place the following line in /root/.icewm/prefoverride

Code: Select all

#  Show network status on task bar (Linux only)
TaskBarShowNetStatus=1 # 0/1
That didn't work.
I suppose =1 is show.
Béèm wrote:Also volume and wmpower now creates a little sepate window and not a task bar item.
WhoDo wrote: wmpower is an icedock applet, and needs icedock enabled in /root/.icewm/startup.

There is also a volume applet for icedock, but I prefer to use Pvolume from the menu. It will start as a full app window, but minimising the window puts on the taskbar as an icon. You could also start it from an icon on the taskbar. See the EZpup Help wiki page for links to the manuals for Icewm and Rox and for tips and tricks for customising EZpup.
Indeed Pvolume has the advantage it contains the mixer as well. Would there be a possibility to start Pvolume and minimize it automatically when the X-server is started?
New Wiki page from today? :)
Nice.
Béèm wrote:Freemamapplet has improved and it's a little blue block, but not large enough to display the value. Only two digits are displayed.
WhoDo wrote: This one is beyond me to resolve. The version of Freememapplet I provided in EZpup-2 was patched for IceWM by MU. Instead I prefer to use the Disk Free icon on the desktop which calls Partview to display free space on the mounted partitions. Alternatively you could run conky on the desktop and have all the stats you could ever want.
I know, but I wanted to inform you about the "progress" when a new version is installed.
I'll try conky as well.
WhoDo wrote:Hope that helps.
What would be the best way to preserve the peronalized settings of icewm?
Copy the ./icewm directory to a save place before upgrading to a newer version and then copy it back?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

WhoDo

#47 Post by WhoDo »

Béèm wrote:

#  Show network status on task bar (Linux only)
TaskBarShowNetStatus=1 # 0/1
That didn't work.
I suppose =1 is show.
Yes, 1=show. Of course you have to reboot to see any change. You should get a transparent window of similar size to the CPU activity block and in almost the same location.
Béèm wrote:Indeed Pvolume has the advantage it contains the mixer as well. Would there be a possibility to start Pvolume and minimize it automatically when the X-server is started?
Yes. I think Guesttoo actually posted the process to get it started and minimized automatically. I now regret not keeping a record of that, because it could be added to the wiki. If you search the forum and find it, please let me know.
Béèm wrote:What would be the best way to preserve the peronalized settings of icewm? Copy the ./icewm directory to a save place before upgrading to a newer version and then copy it back?
You could do that, but you really only need the 5 configuration files that govern Icewm's format: preferences, prefoverride, toolbar, winoptions and menu. To those you could also add keys, if you changed any key assignments, and theme, if you can't remember which theme was current.

To that you could also add a backup copy of /root/Choices/ROX-filer/PuppyPin and /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons which will protect your desktop layout and the icon associations on the desktop in Rox.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#48 Post by GuestToo »

you may be referring to this thread:
How to put mini-volume control in icewm taskbar?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11302

also, this is interesting:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=19248

WhoDo

#49 Post by WhoDo »

GuestToo wrote:you may be referring to this thread:
How to put mini-volume control in icewm taskbar?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=11302
Yes, that's the one G2. Thanks. I'll give it a try on my machine and add it to the wiki if it works. Of course there is a simpler alternative. Add the following line to the end of the /root/.icewm/toolbar file

prog "Volume" mixer pvolume-mixer
It works perfectly well that way for me. Hardly "started minimised" as Béèm requested, but just as good IMHO.

Update: Your solution works fine for me, too, G2. Added to EZpup Help wiki page.

@Béèm: Add the following to the /root/.icewm/winoptions file

pvolume-mixer.tcl.startMinimized: 1
...and add the following lines to Icewm's startup file

killall pvolume-mixer.tcl
pvolume-mixer.tcl & 
Cheers
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

ohyes

#50 Post by ohyes »

For Info

With Ezpup2 installed:
When Installed devx_216.sfs and rebooted, my Icons changed to a different set not sure which (but not the default). Anyone else had this ?
If I installed devx_216.sfs first and then Ezpup 2 no problem.

Been playing with 2.16 installs, found that when I used previous Ezpup blinky background colour correct after installation.

Cheers

kkpity

#51 Post by kkpity »

I'm using EZpup with a CD install (v2.16) + a pendrive.

Using an old icewm I had the remaining size of pup_save.2fs on task bar near the clock.

Is that possible to have this useful info on EZpup?

thanks

kkpity
Linux user #388359 (http://counter.li.org/)

WhoDo

#52 Post by WhoDo »

ohyes wrote:When Installed devx_216.sfs and rebooted, my Icons changed to a different set not sure which (but not the default). Anyone else had this ?
Yes. I think the sfs bootloader runs a fixPuppyPin script that replaces the file /root/.config/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/globicons with a default version. The original lives in /root/Choices/ROX-Filer and is also called globicons.

As an interim workaround, try copying the modified version from /root/.config over to /root/Choices and then use the sfs bootloader. If the operating version in /root/.config is overwritten you can copy the /root/Choices version back over it.

Of course it's only an interim solution. Long term I'm hoping someone can modify fixPuppyPin in a way that doesn't mess with the desktop setup quite so radically. :wink:

WhoDo

#53 Post by WhoDo »

kkpity wrote:Using an old icewm I had the remaining size of pup_save.2fs on task bar near the clock.

Is that possible to have this useful info on EZpup?
What you are referring to is the Freememapplet. You can enable it by uncommenting the following line from IceWM's startup file - Edit startup in the quicklaunch menu:

killall freememapplet-tray
#sleep 2 && iu_nice -n 19 /root/my-applications/freememapplet_tray_puppy215ce/freememapplet-tray &
Simply remove the # from line 2 above and restart IceWM from the prompt.

Freememapplet is less than successful in later versions of IceWM. That's why I put Disk Free on the desktop. It will actually show space in your pup_save.2fs file as well as the partition AND your ram disk.

Hope that helps.

kkpity

#54 Post by kkpity »

Line:
sleep 2 && iu_nice -n 19 /root/my-applications/freememapplet_tray_puppy215ce/freememapplet-tray &

was already uncommented

I've uncommented the following line (some lines above):
sleep 4 && iu_nice -n 25 freememapplet-trayicon &

then restart icewm.

It worked but the icon is very small. It is almost impossible to point the mouse cursor on it.

Other point: I can use Disk Free if it show my pup_save size¸but I couldn't find it.

Thanks for your help
Linux user #388359 (http://counter.li.org/)

WhoDo

#55 Post by WhoDo »

kkpity wrote:Line:
sleep 2 && iu_nice -n 19 /root/my-applications/freememapplet_tray_puppy215ce/freememapplet-tray &

was already uncommented
Which version of EZpup are you using? Only EZpup-2.1.7 carries the program files for that version of Freememapplet, so maybe you have an earlier version? You can check by looking in /root/my-applications and seeing if freememapplet_tray is there.
kkpity wrote:I've uncommented the following line (some lines above):
sleep 4 && iu_nice -n 25 freememapplet-trayicon &

then restart icewm.

It worked but the icon is very small. It is almost impossible to point the mouse cursor on it.
Yes, that's the old, unpatched version of freememapplet that really only works well with JWM. The patched version mentioned above is what's required.
kkpity wrote:Other point: I can use Disk Free if it show my pup_save size¸but I couldn't find it.
After installing EZpup, Disk Free lives on the desktop above the Trash can at the right hand side. If it's not there, you can get it by opening Menu>Utilities>Partview (I think - I'm not at my own system so I can't be certain of that location).

Hope that helps.

polle

#56 Post by polle »

maybe I would have asked it in this thread, but if someone canhave a look?:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=19349