Open Office Disappeared from Menus!

#1 Post by friedsonjm »

Puppy version number? 2.16
Upgrade from previous version? new installation
If upgrade, from what version?
Running live CD, or HD install? HD
If HD install, full or frugal? Full
Window Manager in use? Um.. default? ICEWM

Upgraded just now to June version of Ezpup; my openoffice menu items have disappeared, even though pupget still shows them as installed... how do I get them back? :?

thanks,
jf

WhoDo

Re: Open Office Disappeared from Menus!

#2 Post by WhoDo »

friedsonjm wrote:Upgraded just now to June version of Ezpup; my openoffice menu items have disappeared, even though pupget still shows them as installed... how do I get them back? :?
Found in "Pupget"? Wow! That's got to be an older version of Open Office, surely? Say OOo 1.1.4? If you have 2.16, why not try OOo_216.sfs or similar? Read on if you want to try to solve this while keeping your existing Open Office installation.

The menu items for Open Office are found in /usr/share/applications. EZpup might overwrite these files, if they are identically named, but only with ones using the standard locations. If the menu entries disappear it probably means that your Open Office files are not found at those standard locations.

Use Rox to navigate to /usr/share/applications and look for the Open Office .desktop files in that location. If you click on each one you will find the ones that work. Those can then be dragged to the desktop, or opened as text to find the correct locations.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

friedsonjm

#3 Post by friedsonjm »

Well what I really want is the complete and full OO installation. Pupget has 2.2.0 'cutdown', which when I through it and the associated files to make it complete all together and tried to install, kept throwing off all kinds of missing dependencies errors, but at least it was 'installed.'

Then I upgraded to the newest ezpup and they disappeared.

I've now removed them all.. and I'm looking for some way to install a NOT cut-down complete version of OO.

ideas?

jf

WhoDo

#4 Post by WhoDo »

friedsonjm wrote:Well what I really want is the complete and full OO installation. .. and I'm looking for some way to install a NOT cut-down complete version of OO.
You can download Open Office 2.2.0 Full version as a .sfs file from here> Open Office 2.2.0 sfs pack

...or you can get Open Office 2.10 sfs expansion pack here>http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215Downloads
*Note: Scroll down to see the list of expansion packs.

Also see here> http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Puppy215sfsExpansionPacks
... for information on how to use/install Puppy's expansion packs.

All Puppy 2.15 sfs expansion packs work with Puppy 2.16, if you use the Bootloader. That creates another problem. You would need to use the sfs Bootloader BEFORE installing EZpup. If you do that then you'll retain your Open Office menu items or at least be able to drag them to your desktop.

Hope that helps.
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]

friedsonjm

#5 Post by friedsonjm »

I thought I understood that as I did a full, not frugal, installation, I dont use sfs files????

Is that not what the bootloader is all about, or am I totally confused..

jf

WhoDo

#6 Post by WhoDo »

friedsonjm wrote:I thought I understood that as I did a full, not frugal, installation, I dont use sfs files????

Is that not what the bootloader is all about, or am I totally confused..
Not confused, just missing some information. Using sunburnt's sfs Installer for Full Installs your sfs files can also be installed in a FULL rather than Frugal install. You can get the sunburnt's sfs Installer for Full Installs here. That will unpack the sfs file for you and give you the requisite menu entries.

Alternatively, you can use the Open Office 2.0.4 full install files from the Puppy Software Installer repos. That is a 3-file install from dotpup that gives you OO, OOhelp and OOmenu.

Hope that helps.

friedsonjm

#7 Post by friedsonjm »

Well, I reinstalled all from the puppy package manager, and all seem to work! Now... on to figure out how to get a printer working and file sharing up...
thanks,again. jfbbb