2.16 won't boot in Sony VAIO laptop with Windows Vista

Booting, installing, newbie
simonj2

2.16 won't boot in Sony VAIO laptop with Windows Vista

#1 Post by simonj2 »

I am trying to boot 2.16 from a laptop with Windows Vista (The Laptop is a Sony VAIO) and the boot process freezes during the kernel boot process. Any ideas?

rrolsbe

New computer Bios my only support Uncle Bills Vista

#2 Post by rrolsbe »

If your computer is new it is possible the BIOS does not support anything other than Vista.

Good Luck

http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/04/11/p ... ept-vista/

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Re: New computer Bios my only support Uncle Bills Vista

#3 Post by Béèm »

rrolsbe wrote:If your computer is new it is possible the BIOS does not support anything other than Vista.

Good Luck

http://linux.wordpress.com/2007/04/11/p ... ept-vista/
Wow, again meat for trials against $soft in fighting monopolisation tactics.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. :) Many people have reported problems booting Puppy in laptops.

First, will the Puppy CD boot in another computer? Second, will any live Linux CD (DSL, Knoppix, Ubuntu, etc.) boot in your laptop?

John Doe

#5 Post by John Doe »

Flash wrote:Let's not jump to conclusions just yet. :) Many people have reported problems booting Puppy in laptops.
Good Call.

Actually read the article and it cites as "proof" one person whose "vista ready computer" apparently worked fine with xp and opensuse for a day, then suddenly asked for a bios password. His conclusion (after no duplication of error, control or means of falsifiability) was that "M$ SCREWED HIM SOMEHOW". Talk about fallacies. The fool probably got too high, set the password himself and forgot.

vientito

#6 Post by vientito »

we dun even have to talk about a vista vaio machine... a friend of mine owns a XP vaio and i try 2.16 boot and fail rite after kernel got called. I remember seeing something that resembles PNP fault, whatever.

booting laptop with puppy is a hit n' miss.

John Doe

#7 Post by John Doe »

sometimes I see success with acpi switches, try:

puppy acpi=off
puppy acpi=on
puppy acpi=force

Also the kernel upgrade in the next puppy version might fix it also. I was reading just today about laptop acpi being "buggy" in the 2.6.18 kernel and to upgrade to 2.6.19 or newer. (don't recall site/cite)

Perhaps it's not BIOS at all, perhaps it's acpi hanging during boot?

p.s. try the debug switch also, maybe that will give some info?

John Doe

#8 Post by John Doe »

Just stumbled across this in my notes:

failsafe kernel parameters:

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram vga=normal apm=off acpi=off noapic ide=nodma
Give that a try and see what happens.

Bruce B

#9 Post by Bruce B »

Vista only BIOSes are a reality. Us helpers are going to have to learn how and when to factor these things in.

Also I am not expecting any success reports with people resizing Vista NTFS partitions.

IceVapour

Puppy and New Computers

#10 Post by IceVapour »

Just an idea, but when I boot Puppy, the boot screen tells me that for computers from 2001, ACPI needs to be set to off. It's supposed to be default, but maybe it's not being set for some reason. I am using a Acer Inspire laptop with 2ghz AMD 64 processor, and 1gb RAM via the Puppy Live CD and a file on the hard disk. Works like a dream and have had no problems.