Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 20 Dec 2014, 13:15
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Puppy in German? Problems with keyboard mapping!
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
wolpertinger

PostPosted: Thu 25 Aug 2005, 18:14    Post subject:  Puppy in German? Problems with keyboard mapping!  

Dear Barry,

Congratulations! I'm just checking Puppy for the first time, and it looks very promising. A full-fledged Linux with all necessary apps screwed down to fit into a considerable small amount of RAM - fantastic!

Unfortunately, there are still a few issues.

1. I am a German. Are there any chances to set up a German Puppy (which certainly would mean to create an entirely different ISO image for installation because all the apps should have - in my case - a German interface as well, I suppose ...) ?

2. Even with the keyboard maps in the current English-only installation German umlauts (, , , , , , ) do not work. It is simply a QWERTZ keyboard after changing the settings - and no more. So, i18n is something that should be dealt with thoroughly because I can't imagine that - let's say - Turkish or Czech users will be that happy with Puppy - they use to use far more complicated charsets than Germans.

Strange enough: I have an USB keyboard which was correctly detected at first boot (from CD). After having played around with the settings, Puppy did not recognize it anymore so I plugged in a PS/2 keyboard.

Did you already receive similar complaints about these problems?

Puppy should be the ideal OS for a small subnotebook (or even wearables!) that could be set up with cheap or even old and used hardware. Therefore, such a device could be something in between a handheld, e.g. a palm (simply not enough to get really productive when you're on the road) and a so-called laptop which actually isn't the kind of thing I'd like to hitchhike with across Australia.

Do you have any connections with people (or companies) phantasizing in the same direction?

Regards

wolpertinger
MU

PostPosted: Fri 26 Aug 2005, 00:39    Post subject:  

Hello,

umlaute should work in gtk2-based apps like Mozilla or Abiword.

If not, try de-latin-nodeadkeys.map.

I just uploaded the editor "adie", that displays them,too:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1922

Textmaker works, too.

So what not works:
gtk1-applications and the console.
Maybe the reason for the console is "busybox", I will try that on my Linux-Mandrake next week.

What really is strange:
In beaver, Umlaute work in the font-selection-dialog, but not in the editor itself Shocked

With international menues I had no success yet.
XFE has german menues on Mandrake, on Puppy not.
So I will have to try other locale-settings next week.

Mark
Page 1 of 1 [2 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: