win4lin on puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems
raffy

Making a new device

#16 Post by raffy »

You can start a new thread here.

Check out previous threads: about thin PCs and the Ntavo device (company has branch in China).

(The non-profit org being discussed there may not apply in this case, but feel free to make proposals. After all, you are in HK, where business is supposed to be easy.)

One advantage of a pre-installed Puppy in new (but cheap) thin PC is zero configuring problem. The other, more important advantages are low-cost and fast computing!
Puppy user since Oct 2004. Want FreeOffice? [url=http://puppylinux.info/topic/freeoffice-2012-sfs]Get the sfs (English only)[/url].

ben

#17 Post by ben »

Folks,

Any progress on Win emulation in Puppy?
I am afraid the kernel patch that comes with it won't wory on the new kernels...
Haven't tried yet though...

Why having Windows work in a window would be convenient?
Well, I just bought a wireless mobile net card, and it doesn't have a Linux driver, only for Windows. So, I cannot get online wirelessly with Puppy. Sucks. (I am talking about MOBILE TELEPEHONE NETWORK, not 802.11b. I wanna use GPRS or CDMA networks, and they work fine in Windows, but not in Puppy).

Also, I couldn't find any webcam so far, that I could use with Puppy either.

Any idea?

Ben

noip

#18 Post by noip »

Ben,

As you probably know, win4lin (the win9x version) needs a kernel patch to enable it to work. Netraverse claims the latest version for WinXP does not, which is a step forward.

HOWEVER

You will probably find that things like wireless support etc won't be there. In the original win4lin (which worked very well) there is only basic support for ports - there was nothing for USB for example, and I'd say that the same sort of thing would be true for the latest XP support in win4lin (happy to be proven wrong).

WINE

Whilst this is approaching the 0.9 version, it's support for I/O ports is still not what you want for your card. Sorry to say. Having said that, what they have achieved is brilliant, nothing less.

I understand the frustration with wanting to use Linux and having no drivers for you peripheral card, but unfortunately until manufacturers get past the idea that Linux is a product of the devil, we may have to wait a few months for an enthusiastic person to write a driver.

Rgds

GS

ftgs

rarsa

#19 Post by rarsa »

Also, I couldn't find any webcam so far, that I could use with Puppy either.
If you go to the spcaxx home page you will see the compatibility list.

I posted the spcaxx driver in the same post where I talk about Mercury videoconference http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.p ... ht=mercury. Have a look.