BT Voyager 1065 Wireless Laptop Adapter

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
tlucas

BT Voyager 1065 Wireless Laptop Adapter

#1 Post by tlucas »

I have recently purchased a BT Voyager 1065 Wireless Laptop Adapter to use with my ageing Compaq Armada M300 (600 Mhz)

I am also new to linux and have started my experience with Puppy.

I can connect fine to the internet via my BT Home Hub (UK) using ethernet.

I diconnect the ethernet cable, put in the Wireless PCMCIA card and now im not too sure what to do.

I tried running the Wirless Network Wizard, and it tells me to 1. ndiswrapper, 2. wifi-beta.pup, 3. use a linux driver.

Now I am lost as to what to do.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Help tells me that I am running Puppy Office Version 2.0.2ce

paulh177

#2 Post by paulh177 »

i think with a puppy that old (young in days but old developmentally) you are going to have to work quite hard to make that card work successfully. I know this because i have one and had to put in a bit of effort to make it work. However, I certainly had it going under version 2.14/2.15 as I remember. The Voyager 1065 is based on the bcm43xx chipset

Is there any reason that you really need to stay with 2.02CE? You may find it easier in the end (if only to get this wireless card working) to upgrade to a later version.

I just booted a 3.01 version of Puppy and it recognised the 1065 card but it wouldn't allow me to setup WPA encryption.

Perhaps this thread will come to the attention of Flash or Rarsa or Tempestuous who are all most clever when it comes to wireless Puppy

paul

tlucas

#3 Post by tlucas »

Hi paulh177,

Thank you for your reply.

I will have a go with 3.01. I only installed this version because that was the only one I could find with Open Office included. But really thats not important for me right now, plus I can still add it later.

I will let you know how I get on later today.