How do I install Puppy to a slave hard drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
cwncool

How do I install Puppy to a slave hard drive?

#1 Post by cwncool »

I have 2 hard drives, one with windows (the master), and one currently blank(the slave). I want to put on the blank slave. Is this possible? If so, can someone guide me step by step from puppys start up, to installing it on my slave? Thanx!

GuestToo
Puppy Master

#2 Post by GuestToo »

it should be possible

i usually run Puppy from a poor man's install ... just copy 3 file (vmlinuz, image.gz, and usr_cram.fs) to your hard drive ... and Puppy is installed

the 3 files take up about 60 megs of space ... you hardly need a whole drive for that

you can setup a Linux partition, and copy all the Puppy files in /bin, /sbin, /etc, /lib, /usr and so on, to your hard drive, but it won't run any better

you might want to do this if your computer has very little memory, maybe 64 megs or 32 megs ... or if you want to do some complex development, but then you would not be asking this question

if you have never installed Puppy on your hard drive before, why not do it the easy way, an "option 1" "poor man's install" (just copy 3 files to your hard drive)?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

I haven't installed Puppy to a hard drive yet. If cwncool does a poor man's install to his slave drive, how does the boot process work? I.e.: does he put GRUB on the HD and configure it, or what?

Bruce B

#4 Post by Bruce B »

There are so many ways to boot Puppy. If I have MS-DOS as the primary boot device, I'd use GRUB for DOS. Make a config.sys menu system as follows:

Code: Select all

[menu]
menuitem=puppy, Puppy
menuitem=msdos, MS-DOS
menucolor=15,1
menudefault=puppy,10

[common]
;switches /f/n

[puppy]
install=c:\boot\grub\grub.exe

[msdos]
;; put your own commands here for dos
; example only:
dos=high
device=c:\dos\himem.sys
In the C:\BOOT\GRUB directory you will have:
  • * GRUB.EXE
    * MENU.LST
In this particular case (presuming the slave is hdb) the menu.lst file could read like this:

Code: Select all

timeout 0
title Puppy
rootnoverify (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0)/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram PFILE=pup001-none-262144 PHOME=hdb1 
initrd (hd1,0)/image.gz

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#5 Post by Ian »

How is your slave drive formatted.

pomexar

install on slave

#6 Post by pomexar »

try this:
disconect the master disk leaving only the slave (no other, not even usb)
Boot from cd
run hd install script
partition it and install
when asked to install grub , install it into the mbr,
make shure you enter the correct disk and partition (ex:/dev/hdb1)
once its finished use rox to goto /boot/grub
open menu.lst
check that the entries boot and root refer to the slave disk (grub uses hd0,0 , ej hdDISC,PARTITION).
turn off computer
reconect disks , autodetect them and select to boot from ide-1 or the D,E or whatever disk is your slave in the bios
If the boot fails, then try and edt the boot options in the grub menu (just press E). If the boot option is set to hd0,0 and faild the try hd1,0.
That may depend on your bios

Thats how i installed it and it worked. good luck

raffy

Try this

#7 Post by raffy »

Bruce B

#8 Post by Bruce B »

Bring it on - the parent posted on July 8 - it's about time we get around to helping him solve the problem :)

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#9 Post by Ian »

There should be enough info here to solve the problem but if he is having trouble he should post back here with the details.