Installing to USB problem

Booting, installing, newbie
Ignus

#1 Post by Ignus »

Ok, first of all I'm really new to linux, distros etc. so don't shout or anything. I wanted to install the Puppy Linux to my USB stick so i burned tje image, executed puppy linux from cd and selected the option from menu start to install to usb. I have complited all steps of the script. I rebooted the pc and when I'm trying to boot from USB it says: "Boot failed". What's the matter ? What I did wrong ? I wasn't sure what to type in step 4 (or 3, I don't remember) when it asked me to type the partition but i writed the default that was there (/dev/sda1 i think). Please help !

PS. Sorry for my English :oops:

nmwinow

#2 Post by nmwinow »

Hi Ignus, no help here, I have the same problem. I had Pup 0.9.9 installed to USB. Then I updated to 1.0.4, and installed it to the same USB. Result: same as you. vmlinuz, usr_cram.fs, image.gz, and syslinux.cfg are all there so I don't know why it won't boot. Like I say it did before with the 0.9.9 files. I'll keep trying and let you know if I get it to work.

#3 Post by guest »

I'm trying to boot from USB it says: "Boot failed". What's the matter ? What I did wrong ?
This might help. If you have removed the USB stick outside of Windows, it is not recognized...it is like the usb stick is not plugged in.

Return to Windows and re-insert the usb stick so you know that it is recognized by Windows.

Then, restart the computer and if you have to select the usb stick it should then complete the installation of Puppy. If your machine automatically selects the usb stick, it should complete the installation of Puppy without further action by you.

nmwinow

#4 Post by nmwinow »

Thanks Guest. It didn't work for me, maybe Ignus will have better luck.

#5 Post by guest »

Hi NMWinow;

Did you install 1.04 as a new install or update from 9.9?

I once tried 1.04 as a new install and it didn't work. I installed 1.03 with no problem, then did an upgrade to 1.04 with no problem.

If you can get a copy of 1.03 install that. Then upgrade to 1.04. That might solve the problem.

Eventually, I started with 1.03 then upgraded to Chubby Puppy - I have a 512 meg memory stick. If you can upgrade to Chubby that seems to avoid the problems with 1.04.

I did have the "boot failed" problem, and I thought I remembered it had to do with the removing/inserting the memory stick while outside of Windows...but that's a different problem altogether apparently.

I you try going from 9.9 to 1.03 as an upgrade that should be good enough until 1.05 comes along. Good Luck.

#6 Post by Guest »

The trick with plugging an usb stick when in windows will not work in my case becouse my bios resets, every time when i unplug the stick the boot priority so i can't insert usb stick, restart and then boot becouse i must go earlier to bios and reboot. And this isn't an option too becouse i wan't a system when i got my disk formatted so i can for example use the internet etc. I try the guest solution to install 1.03 and too upgrade next (btw. what is chubby puppy ? :D sorry for stupid questions but i'm new :P)

Ignus

#7 Post by Ignus »

I forgot to say the upper post is mine (Ignus). Sorry for spamming :oops:

#8 Post by Guest »

Yeah I was very happy. But now it's pissing me off. I downloaded the 1.0.3 version (to install it and next upgrade to next version), burned it and what ? It hangs on boot :( I am so desperated I even took a picture of the error:
http://www.members.lycos.co.uk/bizzley/n_0002.jpg. There is one more line above this error: "Unable to handle kernel null pointer dereference at virtual... bla, bla, bla". Please help !

#9 Post by Guest »

well, first I tried to upgrade from 0.9.9 but that didn't work. Of course by the time I found out, 0.9.9 had been erased. It took me several tries to get 1.0.4 installed. I forget why, it had something to do with needing to mount/unmount my CDROM, puppy wouldn't recognize the cdrom (the only one on the system) as the one I had booted from.

What with one thing and another I don't have much time to work on this. By the time I've got a couple hour block together BArry will probably have 1.0.5 or 6 out. I'll try again.

Suse sent me an announcement for their new thing, but the heck with them, I want the pup.

Hey Ignus, chubby puppy is a bigger, fatter, more feature rich version. Look around in the news or on the forum, you'll find it easy.