No unallocated space on HD. Can I still use Puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
marcelaow

No unallocated space on HD. Can I still use Puppy?

#1 Post by marcelaow »

hi

have just downloaded the puppy 1.0.4.
my hd is full (winxp and mandrake 10.1, with swap of 517 MB).
can I use the puppy calmly?

thanks

:D
by marcelaow

from brazil...

PeterSieg

Puppy calmly :)

#2 Post by PeterSieg »

Hi.

1. Puppy live-CD
Should be no problem. Puppy tries to find /or create a 'pup001' file of 256MB size, for storing all personal settings and changes.
It will very likely use your mandrake partition for that, since it will not
write to a winxp partion. This should not harm your mandrake installation
at all.
If you want to use the winxp partition for the pup001 file, you must download pup001.zip from Puppy download site (look in folder for 1.0.1!!) and unzip it in then root of your winxp
(resulting in c:\pup001 with again 256MB size).
If Puppy-Live-CD finds that file, it can use it even on ntfs /winxp partition.

2. If you want to install to hdd
Puppy has a script for that. Look in the menu.
Type 1 install=just copy files from cd to hdd.
Type 2 install=full blown real hdd linux install.
With both, you can choose to create a boot floppy to start Puppy or
have grub installed --> But that will give problems with winxp!!
There is WAKEPUP - an improved boot floppy for ex. usb cd-roms usb-hdd!

So my recommendation is:
Stay with 1.
If needed 2. , use boot floppy.. or know what you are doing!

There are also some nice howtos in the wiki on hdd install...

PS
Have fun :)

Ian
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Ian »

Run it from the CD first to get used to it then make a decision on installation.

marcelaow

:)

#4 Post by marcelaow »

thanks

I will try first as livecd, without installing.
by marcelaow

from brazil...

Bruce B

Re: :)

#5 Post by Bruce B »

marcelaow wrote:thanks

I will try first as livecd, without installing.
There are various degrees of installation, the method Peter suggested is only writing one file to your Linux filesystem. One file is not much of a modification and you will enjoy the trial period better - I'm sure.

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

Actually I use Puppy in a computer that's 100% XP with NTFS.

I just copied the pup001 and usr_cram.fs files to C:\ and it boots in less than a minute.

I haven't felt the need to install to HDD, actually I think it's easier to do it this way. If I want to test something, I just backup my pup001, put another one, and test, without affecting my 'working' environment.

So, my recommendation for your system? Stay with the LiveCD.

Actually If you have mandrake with ext2 or ext3, puppy will create the pup001 file automatically in that partition. I'd recommend to copy usr_cram.fs to the same place as pup001 to speedup the booting.

I've expanded my pup001, but that's because I've installed Mercury (MSN messenger with video conference) and it requires Java that sucks a lot of space.

Bruce B

#7 Post by Bruce B »

rarsa wrote:Actually If you have mandrake with ext2 or ext3, puppy will create the pup001 file automatically in that partition. I'd recommend to copy usr_cram.fs to the same place as pup001 to speedup the booting.
If I read you correctly, what you are saying is that the Puppy CD after locating the pup001 file also looks in the same place for usr_cram.fs and USE it, instead of the one on the CD-ROM disc?

If true, that's great, because the lost time reading the usr_cram.fs from the CD disc instead of HD would speed things up considerably.

I've wondered about this, but so rarely boot from CD, that I've not tested it. Thanks.

rarsa

#8 Post by rarsa »

Bruce B wrote:what you are saying is that the Puppy CD after locating the pup001 file also looks in the same place for usr_cram.fs and USE it, instead of the one on the CD-ROM disc
That's exactly what I'm saying. I found that on the How Puppy works page. Even nicer is that if it finds a usr_cram.fs that does not match the version on the CD, it will use the CD one.