Wbar: a fancy launchbar (using Imlib2)

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
aragon

#136 Post by aragon »

CRF
installed Aragon's xfce 4.61 pet
to much honour, it's grays one...

to your problem: maybe create a little script and start this script with xfce autostart?

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

#wait for the desktop to settle
sleep 10

#start wbar
wbar -above-desk -jumpf 1 -pos bottom -offset 30 -nanim 3 -zoomf 1.8 -idist 10 -isize 38 -bpress -balfa 0 -falfa 0 & 

exit 0
aragon

CRF

#137 Post by CRF »

Oops! Sorry! I read a lot of your posts and Gray's as well. To me you guys are the Puppy Guru's!

Thanks for the reply! When I get home tonight, I will try the script!

CRF

#138 Post by CRF »

Fantastic!

Thanks Aragon! It Worked!

swiatmar

#139 Post by swiatmar »

I have some problem with wbar under xfce. So I put xfce on my puppy 431 with the older kernel 2.6.25 and after installing xfce 4.6.1 I tried to install wbar. I've updated xintric and nothing is happening. But wbar is starting when I start it in terminal like wbar --above-desk. I tried also to put a command line to startup folder, but nothing is working :(

CatDude

#140 Post by CatDude »

Hello swiatmar
swiatmar wrote:I have some problem with wbar under xfce.......... I've updated xintric and nothing is happening. But wbar is starting when I start it in terminal like wbar --above-desk.
If you recall the image NOP431+Gimp.jpg that i posted in your NOP lost XFCE!!! thread,
you will notice that i also had wbar installed, i also had it loading automatically at each boot up.

All that i did to achieve that, was to add the launch command to the /root/xinitrc file,
below is how the bottom of that file looks after adding the launch command to it.

# Start wbar application launcher:
sleep 6 && wbar -above-desk -jumpf 1 -pos bottom -offset 30 -nanim 3 -zoomf 1.8 -idist 10 -isize 38 -bpress -balfa 0 -falfa 100 &

#exec $CURRENTWM
#v2.11 GuestToo suggested this improvement...
which $CURRENTWM && exec $CURRENTWM
[ -x $CURRENTWM ] && exec $CURRENTWM
exec startxfce4

###END###
You can leave out the -offset 30 if you are not using the wbar with the offset patch, that i posted on page 7 of this thread.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

swiatmar

#141 Post by swiatmar »

hihihi:)

Thank you CatDude again :) I don't know why but I have some really strange problem with my puppy. By the way this problem with gimp is still there. so I gave up and installed the package version of gimp 2.4.0rc3- and this one works fine:)

I've also got wbar to work :)
I think usually beginner problems :)

But thanks a lot for the support- Puppy has the best community- and Puppy really rocks :)
By the way have an other problem with xfce- somehow I'm missing some of my menu icons- is it possible to editing t somehow?

CatDude

#142 Post by CatDude »

Hello swiatmar
swiatmar wrote:Thank you CatDude again :)
You're very welcome mate.
swiatmar wrote:By the way have an other problem with xfce- somehow I'm missing some of my menu icons- is it possible to editing t somehow?
More than likely i would think.
What icons are missing ?
What Puppy version are we talking about now ? :lol:

It would probably be best to start a new thread concerning this issue,
rather than trying to do it in this thread, it is a different subject after all.

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

chris

#143 Post by chris »

First things first - thanks to everyone who had contributed to this long running thread. I've got wbar running quite nicely and that's a testament to your community spirit.

Of course it is my nature to never quite be satisfied :oops: so I'd like to tweak wbar a little bit more. To do that I need some help.

1. I'd like to have a wbar icon that opens up the jwm menu or something similar. So instead of having to use the jwm pane; menu button of right click the desltop, I can press a wbar icon. Any ideas how this could be done?

2. I've got wbar at the top (offset = 0) so I can push the mouse to the top of the screen and still activate wbar icons. But it would be really cool is I could get the icon text to display above the icon rather than below. Anyone reckon this is possible?

3. Perhaps not a wbar issue but I'll ask anyway - Can I change a setting somewhere so that when I maximize a window it does not fill the screen from top to bottom. Specifically I want it not to cover part or all of the wbar icons.

health and happiness to you all

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#144 Post by Béèm »

I did read this nice long thread, but I didn't get wbar running in 4.3.1
I get:

# wbar -above-desk
Using /root/.wbar config file.
Using a Super Bar.
/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/usbpendrive48.png -> Couldn't load icon image.
# 
Where can this png be found?
Will there be other missing items?
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

trapster

#145 Post by trapster »

In 4.31 it's:
/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/usbdrv48.png
trapster
Maine, USA

Asus eeepc 1005HA PU1X-BK
Frugal install: Slacko
Currently using full install: DebianDog

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#146 Post by Béèm »

Thank you Trapster.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

pri

xfce wbar from xfce panel

#147 Post by pri »

i need wbar that can autohide, so my desktop willbe clean. iwas trying wbar from, but i think its too much memory used for it. i just need a simple wbar.

so i used xfce panel as wbar, its was not complicated and easy to use.
add a launcher is easy

i was download from debian package.
the problem is, i cannot change the backround. if the backround modified with transparent, mybe will be look good
Attachments
xfce4-panel as wbar.png
(125.13 KiB) Downloaded 1366 times
Learning by Doing

swiatmar

#148 Post by swiatmar »

you can make the background transparent in xfce if you go to the panel click on it and set properties as transparent :)
by the way wbar is really small and does not use much memory at all

swiatmar

#149 Post by swiatmar »

you can make the background transparent in xfce if you go to the panel click on it and set properties as transparent :)
by the way wbar is really small and does not use much memory at all

sorry double post ups :(

HiDeHo

#150 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi i am following this. http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WbarInstall

i am working with 520 and 525 atm

1. in the section edit 2 it gives an example of the file /etc/xdg/templates/_root_jwmrc

but it looks totally different to the default one i have.

where do i put the edit in it.

2 also with the wbar i have used in lighthouse pup it has a wbar icon pointing to wbar config application. is there a way to run this with this version of wbar.

loubapache

#151 Post by loubapache »

HI, I need some help with wbar in puppy.

I use wbar in other Linux distros (Ubuntu, Linux Mint, SalineOS) and it works fine. In these distros, you download wbar, configure it, and then add a little script to the startup scripts.

I just downloaded the wbar pet in Puppy 5.2.8. It automatically launch wbar at the top of the screen. Since I want it to be at the right side of the screen, I have changed the places that I can found to .vbar -pos=right, etc. However, it still launches at the top. Since the wbar configurator in puppy does not give the right position so I just did it manually.

So I made my own script and put it in /root. Now when puppy starts, I get two wbart: one on the top (the default one) and another on the right (the one I made and wanted).

How can I get rid of the default one?

Now I have to killall wbar and then re-start my own script (/root/wstart).

Thanks,

maik.murks

#152 Post by maik.murks »

Hi loubapache.

Just go to the directory /root/Startup and delete the script that starts your default wbar.
In case that there is no starting script for wbar, take a look into the file /root/.xinitrc - near the end of .xinitrc there should be something found which starts wbar. Just comment this line or these lines out.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Cheers :wink:

Maik.Murks

darkcity

#153 Post by darkcity »

loubapache

#154 Post by loubapache »

Thank you, maik.murks and darkcity. I'll have a look and deactivate the default one.

Edit:

Well, I found out why.

1) Wbar was not started by my /root/.xinitrc.
2) Before I edit the wstart script in /root/Startup, I backed it up to some different name (wstart.original) but the backup was still in /root/Startup. After I made the changes to wstart, wstart.original was also executed at startup so that is whay I got two wbars.

Now I have deleted both scripts and just added a line in /root/.xinitrc to start wbar.

Thanks again.

sarum

Wbar

#155 Post by sarum »

On a previous computer I installed Wbar and by going to menu/desktop/desktop settings I could scroll down to 'wbar config'(or settings); and alter everything - almost.
I've now another computer; Ram520/160HDD puppy528 Full install with 1GB of SWAP.
I've installed wbar and via 'open in text' I changed a couple of things; but as an old, long term newby I'd really like to get back to where I was.

I think I may be wrong in posting this as a reply. It's a long thread and I've searched it.
May be there is someone who can help.
Thanks...sarum